• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Mirage Shield?

Volatile

Sergeant
Minuteman
I always thought these were pretty unnecessary until yesterday. It was about 85F with no wind and I was getting horrible barrel mirage through my scope after every couple of shots.

I've read a few posts on various forums where people say they put a piece of paper over their barrel to help shield the heat from their barrels.

Is this (or another shielding method) the best solution, or does it make more sense to just become more patient and let the barrel cool down completely?

Re: Barrel Mirage Shield?

Mirage shields can be made out of a variety of materials. I have used polyethylene sheets cut to dimension for my .50 comp guns, some people use a slat from aluminum or plastic window blinds, or you can make one out of construction paper or cloth. AI offers one that clips to their muzzle brake and scope rail. I'm unaware of any other mfg's who offer one. If you look one some benchrest vendors, they sell a tube that fits into the front of your scope. I tried these, but didn't care for them, as when using a muzzle brake they tend to fill up with the combustion gases. It all depends on how sturdy you want to make your mirage shield.

Sinclair Mirage Shield

Hope this helps.

Thanks... this helps a lot. I think that in most shooting scenarios I won't be faced with this problem, but the summers are very hot where I live, which appears to slow down the barrel cooling process significantly.

Whatever you do, dont use one made out of any type of metal, i.e. aluminum. It will heat up under the sun and do the same thing as your barrel.

It is very easy to make one. Take a piece of 3.5" (standard) pvc vertical blind, put aluminum foil tape (can be found at any auto parts store) on the bottom so it reflects your barrel heat down, and velcro it to your barrel. I experiance zero mirage at the last 1K match with one made just like that, and it works better than a 2" aluminum one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you do, dont use one made out of any type of metal, i.e. aluminum. It will heat up under the sun and do the same thing as your barrel.

It is very easy to make one. Take a piece of 3.5" (standard) pvc vertical blind, put aluminum foil tape (can be found at any auto parts store) on the bottom so it reflects your barrel heat down, and velcro it to your barrel. I experiance zero mirage at the last 1K match with one made just like that, and it works better than a 2" aluminum one. </div></div>

Cool, thanks for the info. I might put one together to keep in my drag bag just in case. Does there need to be any kind of spacer between the barrel and the shield, or does it actually just rest on the barrel its self?

Also, when it gets extremely hot, does the PVC blind melt at all, or does the foil tape prevent this?

Thanks again.

USMCj,

Can you post a couple of photos of your rig for clarity?

Thanks

I know a fellow that cuts a strip of 3" wide carboard the length of the barrel from his scope out and velcros it on. Beats seasoned shooters regularly.

I use a mirage tube although they are a little more "clumsy" to carry around.

This is what I use.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/PROD/sako-TRG-accessories/S2501858

Sako Mirage Strap.

It is a 2 inch wide piece of elastic webbing that has mounts on either end that slip over a mirage strap screw on Sakos and Tikkas. I had to cut mine down about 5 inches for a T3 tactical and just sewed the mount back on in about ten minutes. Completely eleminates the problem of mirage off the barrel, doesn't do a thing for the mirage in 100% humnidity, 95 degree South Carolina summer days.

You might want to take a look at these and see if you can adapt your mounts to use them. Relatively cheap, and they WORK. Easy on and off. They slip over a screw that looks like a scope mount screw that isn't screwed in all the way.

Hope this helps,
madd0c

I just happened upon these today. good idea but a bit pricey.
I think the Velcro and blind idea is good, the gap created by the Velcro would be enough to keep the blind from melting.
Curt