• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrel options on .308 build

Shanerbanner10

Primer Denter
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I have a .308 that i'm having sent to get some work done. One of the things i'm getting done is a new barrel however i'm very indecisive on which barrel to go with. I have heard from a lot of people that for the most part all the manufacturers are all really simular. True story? idk... so i ask you guys. What would you go with on a .308 build. tactical rifle looking to shoot sub-moa at 1k yards. action is being trued and blueprinted. weight not a big deal at all, i'm a young guy and can "muscle" it around, and will more than likely be shooting anything from 168's to 185 gr bullets.

As of right now i'm looking at a Brux #10 MTU cut to 24" (will be suppressed) Opininons?

By the way this is my first build and my first barrel buy so i'm still researching and learning as I go.

heres a link for what i've got so far. FIRST BUILD... CLICK HERE LEAVE COMMENT!!!!

Re: Barrel options on .308 build

Brux 10-twist would be hard to beat, especially if it's available now. Med Palma would be my choice of contour, but I'm not "young" like you.

awesome thanks for the comment. I don't mind waiting a bit since i deploy soon. but i will likely have that thing on order soon.

Surgeon, I plan on cerakoting the action/barrel fde (flat dark earth and the stock black with texturing done around where my right hand goes/ trigger area. and foregrip. just an idea for now but will more than likely be looking into it.

I have a couple Rock Creek barrels and one Obermeyer, no bad experiences with any of those. The 21.75” rock I have on my 308 will match or slightly best my 26” factory Remington varmint 308 when the same loads are shot in each.

Because Rock Creek offers group buys here and supports the “Smack the Smiley” match I participate in they are my go to barrel maker whenever I am looking for another.

The Remington varmint/sendero contour is my preferred choice.

Bartlein. In a crunch Krieger. Never drove a Brux before. After having 10 or so aftermarket barrels from numerous manufacturers the Bartlein on my crusader has proven to be the easiest to clean with literally no copper fouling to speak of and could possibly be the most accurate tool 2nd to a laser.

Thanks for the replies guys. as of right now i'm its looking like Brux is taking the lead.

I chose Obermeyer 5R for the build Im in the middle of. Just got it back from Kampfeld for fluting and as soon as its spun up and attatched to my new Badger action, Im sending the whole thing off to be cryo treated. As long as this whole process is taking, getting parts in stock, shipping from one place to another, waiting on gunsmiths and other vendors..... I sure hope shes a shooter.

Gonna be a tad miffed if not.

dude, this is not a difficult decision.

Krieger, Bartlein, Rock, Obermyer in either a 10 or 11-11.25 twist.

Pick one of them, you can't go wrong.

Don't think Brux offer in 5R, their .30 cal barrels are 4 groove single point.

My Brux does not copper foul. I'm about 4xx rounds since last cleaning and it still shoots under 1/2 MOA

As far as I'm concerned, I get the one that's in stock, that is what I want or CLOSE to the one I want - as long as it's made by either Bartlein, Brux, Broughton, Rock, Obermeyer, Krieger or whoever else I'm forgetting.

If EVERYONE has the exact barrel I want, and it only comes down to who made it, I choose Bartlein every time.

Thanks for the replies guys, much better, knowledgeable and quicker here than other forums.

Lofty: I'd be a bit on the hot end as well if that thing doesn't drive a dang needle all day long! Good luck with the rest of your build.

Pusher: your definitely right, idk what i was thinking Brux only has 4 groove.

jps: This is my first buy and i want it to be a good informative decision. This is why i'm asking for peoples opinions, but thanks for the comment.

Send_it: I'll be sure to check them out as well!

Turbo: Bartlein is definitely a close second right now. After what i've seen some of the Brux barrels do they have caught my eye.

Stoked as can be to get this deployment over with and come back to bascially a new rifle!