• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

eli polite

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
delaware
how do these ports affest the ballistics? well more the velocity of the bullet.

whats the point of porting the barrel so far back?

I have seen more of this recently and would just like to know a bit more about it. I am doing some reading on line as well

ports2_zpsac4cdb57.jpg

ports_zpsabfc6017.jpg

In most applications they ruin ballistics, ruin night vision, ruin accuracy, ruin all suppression, ruin your day with back-spit and sonic blast.
But you do get a thinner wallet and the mostly suspect thought that you can return to target faster.
Your instincts are right, when done properly, the results do not look anything like the two examples you have posted.

http://magnaport.com/hgun.html

You too can have the " wrist-wrenching recoil of a 10mm feel more like an unported .45 ACP." Wow!

Last edited:
+1 Porting on handguns is useless bullshit except for guns shooting unlimited class in pistol comps. In most cases ported handguns make the gun deafening to shoot without ear pro. Ask me how I know that. Fine for range toys or comp guns. Not fine for something you might have to use without ear and eye pro--like hunting or in some other "practical situation." Good support hand position will take care of most muzzle rise anyway.

Muzzle breaks on precision rifles are a different story--they're usually noise neutral to the shooter (but much louder to bystanders) and because they damp recoil they allow you to see your bullet splash. Ie, they have a real practical use.

Basically, you lose the barrel length from the point you start porting. No more velocity is gained, or at least not much.
I do like raceguns with a comp added to the barrel, but I don't like these so called "hybrids" as much. You need a much heavier load to get the same velocities.
ps. to make a compensator work, you need lots of gas/pressure.

Someone I know is shooting a .38 super hybrid with comp added. The "gas" is gone after the first few ports. The rest of the ports and the added comp have no use.
When shooting loads from another otherwise identical .38 super gun, but with no ports, just the regular comp, he cannot make ipsc major speeds. Sadly I don't have the numbers, so don't know by how much he is off.

If you port your home defense pistol it makes for a great fire starter. If you have to shoot the pistol in close to your body, you will catch your clothes on fire. If you shoot them next to curtains or anything that is flamable in your house, I hope that you have good insurance on your house.

If you port your home defense pistol it makes for a great fire starter. If you have to shoot the pistol in close to your body, you will catch your clothes on fire. If you shoot them next to curtains or anything that is flamable in your house, I hope that you have good insurance on your house.

You may also be in for a blast to the face and eyes.