• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel question

drglock

Old fat guy
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Morrison,Oklahoma
    Question I have is when you look at barrel contours say
    Light Palma does the weight given in the contour section mean that's the weight at 30 inches(4.5) vs a Remington varmint contour says 4.5 at 26 inches

Re: Barrel question

Yes I guess what I'm trying to figure out is which one would be the lightest finished at 24 inches since the both have the same raw weight.wanting a 6.5 creedmore hunting rifle that I can have built with a manners t6a and keep the weight of the rifle minus scope at around 8 lbs that has at least a .750 muzzle diameter and 24 inches long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drglock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I guess what I'm trying to figure out is which one would be the lightest finished at 24 inches since the both have the same raw weight.wanting a 6.5 creedmore hunting rifle that I can have built with a manners t6a and keep the weight of the rifle minus scope at around 8 lbs that has at least a .750 muzzle diameter and 24 inches long. </div></div>
    If you cut both of then off at 24 inches, the light Palma will be about 6 ounces lighter.

get what ever contour you want, flute it as needed.

As above mentions, the light palma will be a few ounces, lighter.

You could always order a blank and call a smith to turn it as needed to get the desired weight...

Regardless of which is chosen, 8 pounds is going to be impossible. You are going to have to settle for about 10 pounds.

Personal recommendation, if you want a lighter carry rifle in 6.5 do a 4 contour, If you are after a longrange outfit consider 5 or 6 fluted. .75 muzzle in most tapers will bust your 8lb weight limit in 6.5mm.

Check out Pac-Nors website. They have a barrel weight calculator that can be very useful for questions like this.