• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel question

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
whats the best twist rate for the following gr bullets ?

155 smk
175 smk

and are lothar walther barrels of any quality ?

i found an msg90 barrel made by lother wather with 1-10 twist and it is polly rifled. though i might buy it and set it back as a spair

which brings me to the question when does a barrel wear out ?
I only have 350 threw my douglas barrel but currious 1k 5k when should i change

edit: forgot to put its for a 308 haha duhhhhhhh retard me

Re: barrel question

what caliber? .308?

if so, a .308 will go a loooooonnnngggg time unless you are running some seriously hot loads.

1:12 or 1:11 would probably be better suited to your bullet selections. The 1:10 I just put on my AR10 doesn't seem to like 168's as well as it does 178's.

My 1:12 on my 700 will shoot anything from 155 to 175 accurately. Some guys have been running 208's in them. I haven't given them a try yet.

The 1:10 LW barrels I have owned in the past loved anything 150gr and heavier, but not so much the lighter weight .30 cal pills. Not that they didn't properly stabilize, I just never could get reasonable accuracy out of them compared to what I was able to get with the heavier 175gr loads.

As for your Douglas...YMMV, but you should be fine well into the 5k range without too much issue or reduction in accuracy and you'll probably get more as long as you aren't shooting crazy-hot loads through it. I have a Douglas premium air gauged 1:10 twist Rem Varmint contour in 308 on an old 700 action that has appr. 5,200 rounds through it and it is still going strong. Loads have been what I consider to be "mild-to-moderate" at the worst.

First of all, I don't consider a 110gr bullet to be a reasonable choice for a .308 chambering. I've used it with good success in 7.62x39, and think it has some utility in a .30-30, but as the case capacity grows, its utility appeals less and less to me.

As above, 1:10" twist is good for the other bullet weights you mention, and somewhat heavier yet. It is pretty much the more common twist available for .308, and for good reason.

I wouldn't fault an L-W barrel for having difficulties handling 110gr bullets with a 1:10" twist. It's a matter of asking the barrel to do something rather a bit outside its optimal design intent.

I will gladly recommend L-W barrels as quality implements. You get what you ask for with L-W, be sure you ask for the right thing.

The most prevalent origin for barrel failures is throat degradation. It's way ahead of all other causes combined. It occurs when heat/cool cycles exceed extremes of temperature and repetition. The more rapidly the the rifle is fired, the faster the rate of degradation, so barrel failure is at least as much a matter of usage as it is of manufacture.

I consider the LW-50 stainless barrel material to be significantly more resistant to throat degradation than other barrel materials. It can also be somewhat problematic for inexperienced gunsmiths to perform the needed metalwork associated with chambering, crowning, and threading; but L-W will gladly explain the necessary approach to any gunsmith. In other respects, the L-W products are not unlike other barrels, and I consider their workmanship to be on the same level with works of art.

Poly(gonal) rifling is not especially common, and I think it's interesting. I believe there are implications involving ease of cleaning and perhaps involving improved throat life. I would love to be in a position to find out; but it appears you've beaten me to it. <span style="font-style: italic">Please</span> keep us informed of your barrel's performance and behavior.

Greg

thanks all for the heads up, i would like to get this lw barrel for a spair but wow 5k rounds befor mine is dead... maybe get it and just swap it and sell the one i have but thats a hastle..

hell ill get the barrel any way if i can swing it

5k would be a short barrel life on a 308 unless you like to shoot steel jacketed bullets, then it's not too far off.

I have a 1:10 on my 30-06 and my dad's 308, it does fine for everything up to 240gr bullets, although with a 30-06 you can shove the 110's so fast that they blow up just outside the muzzle.

I found the same thing as LoneWolfUSMC did, 168's didn't shoot well for me, but 150, 155, 175, 178, and 208's shot really really well... go figure. 168's shoot really well in one of my friend's 1:11 30-06's

No; I would never buy a finished barrel with the express aim of modifying it. Maybe a blank.

i didnt say any thing about buying an already finnshed barrel and having it mod'ed, i did say i wanted to buy one and possibly setting it back for a rainy day

Oh, OK.

'Setting back' in reference to a barrel is a gunsmithing term for cutting off an old chamber with a burnt throat and rechambering it as a shorter barrel.

We used the same term at cross purposes. No harm, no foul; I'm taking down my earlier response.

Greg

bore scope it!
look for erosion or loads of copper.

i want to set the barrel back as in store it in a box for when my current barrel wears out i can just take the old barrel out and put the new barrel in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found the same thing as LoneWolfUSMC did, 168's didn't shoot well for me, but 150, 155, 175, 178, and 208's shot really really well... go figure. 168's shoot really well in one of my friend's 1:11 30-06's </div></div>

As a general rule......155's, 175, 178 and 208's all have a long bearing surface which would work better in a tight twist like the 1:10. 147's, 168's etc are gonna probably do better in something a little slower like a 1:12. Its not really about bullet weight but length of bearing surface which is the area on the bullet contacted by the lands and grooves in the barrel.

okie

I disagree, it is about the length of the bullet. This measurement is what dictates the minimum required spin for stable flight; the bearing surface has nothing whatsoever to do with the spin and the stability of the bullet.

OK, I stand corrected. It is however, not bullet weight. I do not agree though that bearing surface has nothing whatsoever to do with bullet spin. Action of lands and grooves on bearing surface induce spin which in turn create stability.

okie