• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Barrel Question

lts1ow

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
Pardon the probable dumb question.

Is it worth going for a high end cut barrel vs cheaper button barrel on something that will be replaced every 1200-1400 rounds?

Does the more expensive blank get me anything over a cheaper blank if we assume they both will be capable of shooting better than I can?

Thanks

As long as it's a quality barrel blank (and the gunsmith did a quality job cutting the chamber), I doubt you will be able to tell if it's cut or button. I've had barrels from both manufacturing types that have been very accurate.

The most important thing, IMO, is that you have confidence in your system. If you think going cut over button will give you more confidence in your system, then arguably it could be worth it to spend more money to get a cut barrel. I am a big fan of Kreiger barrels, so that's usually my go-to barrel brand. I've had great shooting button barrels (Benchmark), so I wouldn't be afraid to go that route either.

Realistically, we are shooting targets in PRS that are ~2-3 MOA, having a benchrest accurate barrel is not necessary. There have been some top PRS shooters that have stated that they've won PRS matches with burnt out barrels barely capable of shooting ~1 MOA. However, I think having confidence in your system is very important, and to have that confidence and peace of mind, I want a really good shooting rifle.

Long story short, get a quality barrel (either cut or button) and have a good gunsmith spin it up.

I’ve had both that shot well. I believe Tubb only uses button rifled for his 6XC

Once you witness Schneider’s 5P rifling process on a barrel it will leave you smiling. Pic is the returned Marine Corps 308 barrel they tried to shoot out.. still made the accuracy cut at 300 meters.
Bet it has another 2500 Rds of life left?
03A2ED0F-6A3D-4927-9402-CCD400A31B2B.jpeg

I got a Hawk Hill 6 CM barrel earlier this year for an Big Horn Origin action. Hawk Hill did all the cutting on the barrel and for the price I paid it has been an absolute winner. I will be ordering another one this summer.

I got a Hawk Hill 6 CM barrel earlier this year for an Big Horn Origin action. Hawk Hill did all the cutting on the barrel and for the price I paid it has been an absolute winner. I will be ordering another one this summer.
You got an Origin prefit directly from Hawk Hill? If so how much $ if you don't mind me asking.

Ok thanks guys, past two barrels have been cheap button barrels and they have shot great right till their death.

If a cut barrel got me a longer barrel life I would go for it, but just seems like a waste. Or its me just be a poor? IDK.

Why are you planning to replace them at 1200 rounds?

Why are you planning to replace them at 1200 rounds?

That is roughly when the last barrel tanked. Velocity went all over and I couldn't get to remain stable