• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel replacement ???

Typically what happens is the first 4-10" of rifling and the throat get burned, cracked, and erode away. You'll get fire cracking that will start chipping little chunks of rifling away. Usually what happens is the throat erodes away far enough that the lead angle becomes shallower and pressure doesn't build as fast. The result is a drop-off in velocity with the same load(s). Sometime thereafter accuracy will suffer from asymmetric erosion of the rifling and the rough bore condition that happens when the chunks of fire-cracked material blow out. It will start taking more and more rounds to "foul in" the barrel after a deep clean, and groups won't be as consistently tight as they used to be.

Eventually... way after most people toss the barrel, you'll get very erratic groups, then it will wipe out the rifling bad enough that bullets won't stabilize.

Its mainly the throat. But it all goes with time and fire. Its basically sticking a cutting torch down the barrel each time you pull the trigger. A little bit each time adds up and the closer it is to the heat source the hotter and quicker it goes.

Thats why setting it back a couple inches and rechambering works. But its still the same labor charges for a barrel thats used and still wont last as long. Thats why people usually just have a new one put on instead.

Great. Thanks for your replies. The velocity has dropped over 100 fps.Ttime to order a new barrel. And a four to six month wait.
Again thank you.

Check around the px and bungholes. Might have what you need. With reloading components being so hard to get right now there has to be a barrel out there for you.

• Haha
Reactions: Watchale and bmash
:LOL: I think @swampbuck meant bugholes.com, Greg at Southern Precision Rifles. He might have a barrel you want in stock. Also try Northland Shooters Supply for Criterion prefit barrels, Altus Shooting Solutions, and Long Rifles Inc. LRI might be able to make you barrel quickly depending if they have the barrel blanks in stock.

I saw Front Range Precision had Proof stainless blanks in stock.

i think it's a good question I believe my 6.5 creedmoore m24 mtu contour 26'' barrel bored and put together at mile high is close to needing to be replaced the throat looks like an old man that sat out in the desert for a few months too long , the thread is still really nice , and the groups to me I am happy with it still even after 6400 rounds . Even with the replacement barrel in my possession I don't feel hurried about swapping it in yet . well not being a 5 shot one hole shooter I am still hitting a 3'' target at 600 yards 5 out of 5 tries a better shooter than myself did it 10 out of ten tries , I make more mistakes than the gun does still so consistency well its more me than the gun . had 5 touching at 200 yards last weekend and the speeds have been varied with my hand loads I want to keep it around 2680- 2760ish while keeping my powder around 42gr or less for the 600 yard range and 2760-2880ish for the 1k range which was easy using some powders and difficult with others . Id have to go back and check but the fastest speed I have gotten is 2890's but I had no need for anything that hot so I have not pushed it again and that was with rl17 and a 140 gr hornady bthp bullet . not that this means much but its the last pics I got before my phone died 5 shots at 100 yards under a dime not sure exactly how many round through the barrel at that point but its at least 5,600 + Just to note this is not my normal shooting I am just not that good of a shooter .I have far too many shakes to do this more often but it does feel nice when I does happen ..
1629210320854.png

Last edited:
Reactions: L2bravo
i think it's a good question I believe my 6.5 creedmoore barrel is close to needing to be replaced the throat looks like an old man that sat out in the desert for a few months too long , the thread is still really nice , and the groups to me I am happy with it still even after 6400 rounds . Even with the replacement barrel in my possession I don't feel hurried about swapping it in yet .
What are your speeds and groups like after 6400 rounds?

Great. Thanks for your replies. The velocity has dropped over 100 fps.Ttime to order a new barrel. And a four to six month wait.
Again thank you.
I have some blanks in stock and do thread and chamber work. Tell me about your rifle, I may be able to rebarrel it quickly.

Thanks to everyone . The rifle has a Defiance Tenacity LH action and a Manners T6A stock current chamber 6mm Dasher.
Again Thanks to everyone's response.

Thanks to everyone . The rifle has a Defiance Tenacity LH action and a Manners T6A stock current chamber 6mm Dasher.
Is it a tenacity with the built in recoil lug or the separate lug.

I have 6mm 7 twist blanks in stock and 2 Dasher reamers both have .120 freebore, one has .273 neck and the other has a .275 neck.

Reactions: Average guy
i think it's a good question I believe my 6.5 creedmoore barrel is close to needing to be replaced the throat looks like an old man that sat out in the desert for a few months too long , the thread is still really nice , and the groups to me I am happy with it still even after 6400 rounds . Even with the replacement barrel in my possession I don't feel hurried about swapping it in yet . well not being a 5 shot one hole shooter I am still hitting a 3'' target at 600 yards 5 out of 5 tries a better shooter than myself did it 10 out of ten tries , I make more mistakes than the gun does still so consistency well its more me than the gun . had 5 touching at 200 yards last weekend and the speeds have been varied with my hand loads I want to keep it around 2680- 2760ish while keeping my powder around 42gr or less for the 600 yard range and 2760-2880ish for the 1k range which was easy using some powders and difficult with others . Id have to go back and check but the fastest speed I have gotten is 2890's but I had no need for anything that hot so I have not pushed it again and that was with rl17 and a 140 gr hornady bthp bullet . not that this means much but its the last pics I got before my phone died 5 shots at 100 yards under a dime not sure exactly how many round through the barrel at that point but its at least 5,600 +
View attachment 7686302

What barrel? Thank you for such a great report!

i think it's a good question I believe my 6.5 creedmoore barrel is close to needing to be replaced the throat looks like an old man that sat out in the desert for a few months too long , the thread is still really nice , and the groups to me I am happy with it still even after 6400 rounds . Even with the replacement barrel in my possession I don't feel hurried about swapping it in yet . well not being a 5 shot one hole shooter I am still hitting a 3'' target at 600 yards 5 out of 5 tries a better shooter than myself did it 10 out of ten tries , I make more mistakes than the gun does still so consistency well its more me than the gun . had 5 touching at 200 yards last weekend and the speeds have been varied with my hand loads I want to keep it around 2680- 2760ish while keeping my powder around 42gr or less for the 600 yard range and 2760-2880ish for the 1k range which was easy using some powders and difficult with others . Id have to go back and check but the fastest speed I have gotten is 2890's but I had no need for anything that hot so I have not pushed it again and that was with rl17 and a 140 gr hornady bthp bullet . not that this means much but its the last pics I got before my phone died 5 shots at 100 yards under a dime not sure exactly how many round through the barrel at that point but its at least 5,600 +
View attachment 7686302

Damn, I thought my Bartlein was shot out at 3200 rounds. Last couple of range trips have been a struggle to keep it under 1MOA. I guess I'll mess with the load some more and see. I do have a Proof at GAP right now waiting to be chambered.

i think it's a good question I believe my 6.5 creedmoore m24 mtu contour 26'' barrel is close to needing to be replaced the throat looks like an old man that sat out in the desert for a few months too long , the thread is still really nice , and the groups to me I am happy with it still even after 6400 rounds . Even with the replacement barrel in my possession I don't feel hurried about swapping it in yet . well not being a 5 shot one hole shooter I am still hitting a 3'' target at 600 yards 5 out of 5 tries a better shooter than myself did it 10 out of ten tries , I make more mistakes than the gun does still so consistency well its more me than the gun . had 5 touching at 200 yards last weekend and the speeds have been varied with my hand loads I want to keep it around 2680- 2760ish while keeping my powder around 42gr or less for the 600 yard range and 2760-2880ish for the 1k range which was easy using some powders and difficult with others . Id have to go back and check but the fastest speed I have gotten is 2890's but I had no need for anything that hot so I have not pushed it again and that was with rl17 and a 140 gr hornady bthp bullet . not that this means much but its the last pics I got before my phone died 5 shots at 100 yards under a dime not sure exactly how many round through the barrel at that point but its at least 5,600 + Just to note this is not my normal shooting I am just not that good of a shooter .I have far too many shakes to do this more often ..
View attachment 7686302
6,400 rounds of 6.5 CM....wow. I don't think I've seen anyone report a round count with this caliber anywhere near that.

Outstanding.

Who is the barrel manf and specs or did I miss seeing that above.