• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel/Stock Contour Relationship

MrMojoDiver

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Apologies if this has been covered before and I missed the thread while searching, but is there any benefit beyond aesthetics when matching a stocks barrel channel to a thinner barrel profile? I have some 700’s with the factory Varmint/Sendaro profile and generally buy used stocks with heavy Palma or MTU barrel channels because of availability, and while they look odd mated together I’d think the extra room would help with barrel cooling, if you decide to put a heavier barrel on in the future, etc… Any advantages to having a better mating of barrel contour to stock?

You do you, Brah. LOL. I don't see the extra space cooling much more than standard, but I also don't see any detriment. Really, if a rifle shoots great, that's great. If it can look cool doing it, it's just an added bonus.

Hot dog down a hallway never looks good tho...J/K!

Reactions: MrMojoDiver
Hot dog down a hallway never looks good
Agreed, a la Verne Troyer meeting up with Anna Nicole Smith.

I did find this posting which helps close this out for me along with anyone else who might find this:

Lately, I'm getting my barrels in .830-.9ish at the muzzle. If it is SS I flute it. If running CF I think it's best to take advantage of all the stiffness provided by the lighter/larger CF wrap. I do have a hotdog down a hallway with my 243AI heavy sporter .720 barrel, but I'll burn it out before I get bothered by it too much! :ROFLMAO:

I have a few sporter barrel hunting 700s that are in Varmint/Sendero stocks . The look does not bother me , seeing less barrel above the stock line looks just fine to me . Plenty of room for sporter barrels to move around free floated is a plus .

I recommend a 1.3-1.35" straight barrel channel for versatility especially if you want to swap barrels to change the rifle's role.