• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing barrel threading question vs lathe

shootindude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
in the back country of Oregon
Im sorry if this has been covered guys but my search-fu is not on point on the site here. My question is im looking at a diff lathe to just do some hobby gunsmithing on my personal rifles. Im wanting to be able to thread the remmy 700 barrel thread, the lathe ive been looking over is a grizzly lathe but the specs on the threading are a little confusing to me. It says it will thread

Number of inch threads: 33
Range of inch threads: 8–72 TPI
Number of metric threads: 26
Range of metric threads: 0.25–3.5mm

now looking over through some research i know the remmy thread is 1 1/16"-16 TPI , but when my lathe says its able to thread 8-72 tpi is that going to be able to do the job or am i wasting my time? the model # i am looking at is G0752 grizzly lathe. im on a budget with this purchase or id just buy a bigger one that is well known to be able to thread what i need threaded. my budget is about 2 grand, any suggestions if this one doesnt fit the bill. thank you guys.

Hello,

This lathe can do from 8 threads per inch all the way up to 72 threads per inch, so it will do 16 threads per inch, but this lathe is way to small to do rifle barrels, You will need a 12x40 at least to do any serious rifle barreling jobs. is this the lathe?

Grizzly.com

Should work fine. 8-72 tpi should work with your 16 tpi barrel. Just make sure the hole through the headstock is big enough. Unless u want to turn using a steady rest.

If you are on a budget I would look on craigslist for an older American made lathe, you just need to take your time and make sure it will do what you need and is not worn out. Here is one in my area just for an illustration its in the same price range as the one you are looking at and it comes with tooling. You will need at least that much money in tooling to do your barrel work just as a minimum. These older american lathes tend to have smaller thru spindle bores, so you would need to check that to make sure your barrels will fit through the headstock or else you will be doing all your work on a steady rest or between centers.

Atlas 12 x 36 Metal Lathe Excellent with Tooling

hello,

this lathe can do from 8 threads per inch all the way up to 72 threads per inch, so it will do 16 threads per inch, but this lathe is way to small to do rifle barrels, you will need a 12x40 at least to do any serious rifle barreling jobs. Is this the lathe?

grizzly.com

well im mainly looking at threading the ends of a couple of my existing barrels, and smaller projects, the occasional threading of a replacement barrel on one of my hunting rifles as well, the spindle bore is only 1" i probably wouldnt be doing any barrels that are much bigger than an m4o mtu contour.

well im mainly looking at threading the ends of a couple of my existing barrels, and smaller projects, the occasional threading of a replacement barrel on one of my hunting rifles as well, the spindle bore is only 1" i probably wouldnt be doing any barrels that are much bigger than an m4o mtu contour.

I would get a much bigger lathe then that. I run a 12x36 and often find it small. You run out of room between centers quick and if you don't have a decent through spindle you are stuck.

I would check Craigslist for used machines and/or save up soem more money and get a larger model.

If you are on a budget I would look on craigslist for an older American made lathe, you just need to take your time and make sure it will do what you need and is not worn out. Here is one in my area just for an illustration its in the same price range as the one you are looking at and it comes with tooling. You will need at least that much money in tooling to do your barrel work just as a minimum. These older american lathes tend to have smaller thru spindle bores, so you would need to check that to make sure your barrels will fit through the headstock or else you will be doing all your work on a steady rest or between centers.

Atlas 12 x 36 Metal Lathe Excellent with Tooling

You'll be turning between centers on that lathe; don't ask how I know... :)

OP, don't waist your money on a smaller lathe...like I did. Having a heavier machine with a larger spindle bore goes a long way to providing satisfaction.

That lathe is too small for bbl work; even for your stated purpose, bigger would be much more satisfactory. I know the temptation is to buy what you can afford RIGHT NOW, as opposed to saving up for something better, but if you get a really small lathe like the one you're looking at, then realize that it's just not what you'd hoped for, you're going to wish you'd waited until you could get a larger, more rigid & capable machine.

You might keep and eye out for an old South Bend heavy 10 on craiglist. The spidle bore is plenty big enough for barrel work. I got lucky and found one with a fair amount of tooling for about a grand. As everyone said the tooling is what is gonna cost you. I've spent 1500 in getting specific stuff I need to rebarrel a couple of my own rifles and I still have a few things I want to get. Just buy a little at a time when you can afford it and it's not that bad.

An 11" Rockwell has a 1 3/8 spindle bore and makes for a fine gunsmith lathe.

Last edited: