• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Barrel threading / small diameter

superscifi12

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2008
I've lurked for a while and now I have a question that I have unable to find the answer for with searching (probably not using the right terms, so sorry if this has been answered before).

I have a thin barreled rifle I would like to thread for a lightweight suppressor but the OD of the 24" 7mm RM barrel is .670ish" (using dial calipers) and the barrel is parallel back to before 23". I don't want to loose too much length as I still want it to be able to be shot without the suppressor and be somewhat comfortable.

Would the better option be to thread it 9/16-24 and use an adapter to get it to 5/8-24? or to use thunder beast arms "face mount" break if it would work? I am not set on a suppressor manufacturer yet but the Ultra 7 gen 2 looks like it would fill the spot well.

I appreciate the quick response. I am gonna sight in the rifle today and make sure it will groups well before threading as the 3 people recommended on TBAC website have a longer lead time then my first hunt with the rifle. Then it will be deciding on which suppressor to get first (will probably end up with 3-4 as I want a rimfire, one for the RM, one for my 45-70 and one for my kids rifles.)

.662 is the minimum shoulder required for 9/16 threads so that would be fine. You would just get a 9/16 CB brake and no adapters. Or you could get the FM.
I have one more question about TBAC Fly 45. Could I add the CB2HUB adapter and get the cb muzzle device bored out to 45 cal standard to make it qd between my 450 and 45-70?

I've lurked for a while and now I have a question that I have unable to find the answer for with searching (probably not using the right terms, so sorry if this has been answered before).

I have a thin barreled rifle I would like to thread for a lightweight suppressor but the OD of the 24" 7mm RM barrel is .670ish" (using dial calipers) and the barrel is parallel back to before 23". I don't want to loose too much length as I still want it to be able to be shot without the suppressor and be somewhat comfortable.

Would the better option be to thread it 9/16-24 and use an adapter to get it to 5/8-24? or to use thunder beast arms "face mount" break if it would work? I am not set on a suppressor manufacturer yet but the Ultra 7 gen 2 looks like it would fill the spot well.
Thread the barrel for 5/8X24. Screw on and lock-tight a internally threaded 5/8x24 piece that will become the shoulder. Machine that piece square with the bore to become the shoulder abutment, & contour to your liking.
There is a video on U tube showing it all, but can't find it right now. Simple to do and when you are done, no adapters required.

Thread the barrel for 5/8X24. Screw on and lock-tight a internally threaded 5/8x24 piece that will become the shoulder. Machine that piece square with the bore to become the shoulder abutment, & contour to your liking.
There is a video on U tube showing it all, but can't find it right now. Simple to do and when you are done, no adapters required.
This is what I’d recommend if a suppressor is the planned use to end up with a much more common thread. If it’s a permanent/semi-perm muzzle brake, I’d likely default to a 1/2-28.

I’ve even done similar to repurpose some 1.25” shank barrels for large shank AXMCs.
IMG_0244.jpeg
IMG_0248.jpeg
IMG_0247.jpeg
IMG_0246.jpeg
IMG_0249.jpeg

Last edited:

Have a gunsmith make you a threaded adapter to permanently attach to your barrel. I had this done last year on 2 old Ruger M77 MKII's that I've had for 22+ years. I finally decided to thread them to run my suppressors on them. They turned out excellent. And even though they are not the fanciest job, they are straight and true to the bore, and have nice tight threads with minimal wiggle.

IMG_9281.jpeg
IMG_9282.jpeg
IMG_9277.jpeg
IMG_9289.jpeg
IMG_9287.jpeg

9/16-24 is fully adequate for a 7mm Mag; no strength issues there.

Since TB makes a CB mount in that thread, seems to me you're good to go with that, no adapters or other methods needed. It's not that uncommon anyway; there are options for that thread size from other suppressor manufacturers too.