Barrel Tuners in ELR

skkeeter

BillyGoatMachine
PX Member
Minuteman
I've got (2) orders for 375 Cheytac's right now and possibly 3 more if they drop off their deposits soon. My question is who's using barrel tuners on their ELR rigs? I'd like to hear some opinions on them. I was looking at the Warner tool version the other day that got my gears turning.

badassgunworks

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
I build ELR tuner brakes. I am the first and original designer of the horizontal Port design tuner break. And also the only person who makes Turner brakes up to 2 in in diameter.

Attachments

• received_482575409376233.jpeg
    received_482575409376233.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20201228_130915.jpg
    20201228_130915.jpg
    886.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20201119_024746.jpg
    20201119_024746.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 74

badassgunworks

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
All of my tuner brakes are made to order Barrel caliber and cartridge specific. Available thread size. 5/8 x 24, 3/4 x 24, 7/8 x24, 1" x14, 1"x20, 1"x 24

Reactions: Lite and skkeeter

badassgunworks

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
Regardless of what the so-called experts have stated tuners do work. 20 plus years of benchrest and f class has proven that .You would have to be i a retard state otherwise.

brianf

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
NY
Regardless of what the so-called experts have stated tuners do work. 20 plus years of benchrest and f class has proven that .You would have to be i a retard state otherwise.
question, because there are differing opinions (like most things)

when a tuner is "tuned" at 100 yards for best accuracy

does that tuner setting hold true for best accuracy at 1500 yards

or are there segments/sections (just examples)
1--500
600-1300
1500-2000

that the tuner has to be adjusted for

thanks

badassgunworks

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
question, because there are differing opinions (like most things)

when a tuner is "tuned" at 100 yards for best accuracy

does that tuner setting hold true for best accuracy at 1500 yards

or are there segments/sections (just examples)
1--500
600-1300
1500-2000

that the tuner has to be adjusted for

thanks
So how a tuner works is by shifting weight to cansel hormonic vibrations that are produced in your barrel from a fired round.. So if hormonic vibrations are tamed from adjusting the tuner that shows up at 100 yards it will be better at distance. Of corse adjusting a tuner for or at 500 to 750 yards will give you the ability to see a more presice adjusted measurement due to extrapolated distance so once most if not all hormonics are canseled and finely tuned its good for all distances as a tuner cant effect a bullet in flight once its cleared your barrel.

brianf

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
NY
Sounds good

that’s what I was thinking as well.

Go out as far as possible before environmentals make everything fuzzy and set it for that distance.

another question:

ambient temperature

Has anyone seen the ambient temp necessitate different tuner settings?

im wondering if the change in velocity from hot to cold (when tuner was set) or vice versus causes issues with the time the bullet is still in the barrel.

thanks

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
Commercial Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    Sounds good

that’s what I was thinking as well.

Go out as far as possible before environmentals make everything fuzzy and set it for that distance.

another question:

ambient temperature

Has anyone seen the ambient temp necessitate different tuner settings?

im wondering if the change in velocity from hot to cold (when tuner was set) or vice versus causes issues with the time the bullet is still in the barrel.

thanks

Hi,

I think you would be getting into the point of:

1. Nobody can shoot the difference in regards to ambient temp vs tuner settings.

2. Nobody wants to pay the money to testing facilities that have the equipment to scientifically measure such changes.
    A. Would be getting into the density of the barrel alloy based on its' temperatures and how the barrel "flexes" under different temperatures.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: Ledzep and skkeeter

badassgunworks

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 25, 2018
    If you are developing your loads at the flat node where there is little velocity change temperature and barometric pressure will have little effect on standard deviation where extreme elevation changes come into play you can tune and record the second location on your tuner for those changes and record them for future use some of that also has to do with the stability of the powder that you're using

MALLARD

none
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 25, 2009
    Mcdonalds
    temp doesnt matter, maybe if your trying to get the absolute most out of the tuner then ya, but from the worst possible setting to the best the temp is irrelevant(assuming your powder is temp sensitive enough). Truthfully, you dont even need a tuner if you adjust your brake lenght, barrel length, or using shims to an optimum length/varmintal node...but who's gonna do that.

as far as elr, wind is everything and no muzzle tuning device inadequacy will rekt you as hard as the wind (or es/sd) but you probably knew that

Reactions: skkeeter

badassgunworks

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 25, 2018
    temp doesnt matter, maybe if your trying to get the absolute most out of the tuner then ya, but from the worst possible setting to the best the temp is irrelevant(assuming your powder is temp sensitive enough). Truthfully, you dont even need a tuner if you adjust your brake lenght, barrel length, or using shims to an optimum length/varmintal node...but who's gonna do that.

as far as elr, wind is everything and no muzzle tuning device inadequacy will rekt you as hard as the wind (or es/sd) but you probably knew that
    In elr is about eliminating anything and everything that can cause variables when you have wind and everything else it just makes it easy and smart to deal with what you have control over. If you compound all of the other problems along with inadequacies and reading wind which applies to everyone. in the end all adds up.