• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel twist and bullet weight

Cwy81

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2013
I have just bought myself a remington 700 varmint .223 with the bbl and I believe it is a 1-12 twist from what I have read. I am shooting 50 grain tipped varmint ammo by American eagle and am getting incredible groups out to 500 yards which is the furthest I have takin in. My question is whether or not my barrel will stabilize a 77 grain matchking or not? I want to shoot a grand but feel ill probably need a heavier bullet. So my question is, do I need a heavier bullet? If so how heavy can I go? And even if I don't need a heavier bullet what is the heaviest I can go?

I have just bought myself a remington 700 varmint .223 with the bbl and I believe it is a 1-12 twist from what I have read. I am shooting 50 grain tipped varmint ammo by American eagle and am getting incredible groups out to 500 yards which is the furthest I have takin in. My question is whether or not my barrel will stabilize a 77 grain matchking or not? I want to shoot a grand but feel ill probably need a heavier bullet. So my question is, do I need a heavier bullet? If so how heavy can I go? And even if I don't need a heavier bullet what is the heaviest I can go?

I got sako 75 223 1:12 ive tried everything from 45-77 i settled 52smk altho it still does stable 55gr its my varmint toy gun.. 77gr you will be shootin all over the place with "keyhole"

I got sako 75 223 1:12 ive tried everything from 45-77 i settled 52smk altho it still does stable 55gr its my varmint toy gun.. 77gr you will be shootin all over the place with "keyhole".to answer your question your lucky if that twist can stable 60gr

68-70gr. bullets you can get by with a 1-9 maybe a 1-10 twist depending on the bullet. Going over 70gr. bullets plan on a 1-8 twist.

It's not the bullet weight that dictates what twist you need but it's the bullets length. Normally a heavier bullet in a given caliber it gets longer of course. Velocity and other factors play a small part as well.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

You will need a faster twist for those bigger longer bullets. Its worth trying tho. Load some 69gr sierras and see what they can do...

First verify your twist rate using a cleaning rod. Mark the cleaning rod on one side, insert in the barrel and see how long it takes to make one rotation.

69 gr bullets REQUIRE at least a 9 inch twist, 75 grn bullets require 8 inch and 80s require 7 inch.

If you have a 12 inch twist, you will be stuck with 55 gr or less

To understand why, think of the following.

If you have a basketball and a broom stick that weigh the same, how fast do you have to spin the basketball to make balance on the tip of your finger. Now how fast do you have to spin the broom stick (without moving your hand), the answer is MUCH FASTER.

I have a Remington BDL Varmint with a 1:12. It wont shoot my 77 SMKs but I was teaching a LE Sniper Course, I had the dept. give me some 64 gr. Speer's that they use to work with before the class.

I tried them in my Remington, they worked good, or did until I followed up with some 52 gr Sierras, there is "getting by" and there is what works. So I shot the rest of the Speer's in my White Oak and Mann device (both 1:7s).

Like others said, =/< 55's work best in 1:12s.