• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Vice Mounting

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
How and where do you fellas mount your barrel vices. I am building my workbench after a move and have a room (unfinished) to myself. My workbench is wooden and in progress, but I am worried if I just mount it to the bench it won't be sturdy enough or I'll overthink it and do it wrong.

Current thinking: Bolt Bench to House Frame.
Barrel Vice on one end of the bench, 1/2 way between front and back of bench

Tell me if I'm stupid or on the right track. Better to be mocked and get it right than fuck it up.

I mount mine on the outside of the front leg on the bench. It’s out of the way and easy to work on.

I bolted it through the 4x4 leg with long bolts and fender washers.

No issues getting stubborn factory barrels off.

I have mine mounted the table on my Vertical Milling Machine...
It was bolted to the bench, and Tikka OEM Barrels came off without goofing up the bench

Hell...mine is bolted to a loose 2' section of 2X4 that I stand on to hold it down. You are overthinking it...
Mine too. Loose piece of scrap 2x4.

My only suggestion is to make sure you have plenty of room for access and to torque on both sides and can put a long barrel most of the way in without hitting anything…so front corner of a bench with the vise perpendicular to the back wall (barrel parallel to the wall) as a minimum.

Reactions: DJL2 and lash
I mounted a regular vice in one corner through bolted to a piece of steel on the bottom. Clamp my barrel vice in the regular vice and you’re good to go.

Mine too. Loose piece of scrap 2x4.

My only suggestion is to make sure you have plenty of room for access and to torque on both sides and can put a long barrel most of the way in without hitting anything…so front corner of a bench with the vise perpendicular to the back wall (barrel parallel to the wall) as a minimum.
Yeah I Second this. It's very nice if you can have a good amount of room under where the barrel will be vs 4" off the bench, so at least get it on an outside corner so you can have plenty of room if you hang it off the bench. Don't put it in the center of a bench for example because you will not have space under the barrel ect . Otherwise just bolt it to your bench and if your bench is halfway solid you will be good.

Clamp it to your bench with C clamps when you need to you it or clamp it to a short piece of 2x4 and put it in a vise when you need it. One less thing in the way that you’re not using all the time

Reactions: lash
Just bolt it to a bench and be done with it. This one has been there for about 5 years
F1FA029E-7ED6-4CDE-B9CE-A95BF3AA79D7.jpeg

Reactions: lash
I mounted mine of the corner of the table I built using a 2x4 basics kit. I reinforced the corner on the underside with an extra layer of 2x4s, that are screwed to the top and the 2x4 frame on the outside, then used a 2x4 to sandwich it on top. It gives me some extra room over the bench for tightening muzzle devices without pulling the BA out of the vice and turing it around. A couple kind of bad pictures I had laying around.

Attachments

• IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    509.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0922.JPG
    IMG_0922.JPG
    477.1 KB · Views: 94
I have a 2" trailer hitch receiver mounted to the underside of my bench with the receiver tube flush to the edge. I bolt all my vices to trailer hitches and secure with the Curt anti-rattle hitch pin. It locks up nice and tight. It makes it easy to swap out different vices. If I need the entire bench top for something large, it is easy to get the vice out of the way.

I mounted mine to a piece of 2x2 steel tubing with 2 bolts.

The steel tube is long enough to go in a receiver hitch and has a hole for a pin if I need to lock it in.
I have enough stock past where my vice mount bolts are I can clamp to any surface with any clamps (bench, counter, table, etc), or in the vice on the bench.
It is very easy to stow and easy to use.

I bought the 2x2 from a steel shops scrap pile for nothing and the bolts were $2 or so at Ace. Easy done and cheap. More money for reloading goods

Reactions: Rubicon Precision
I’ve just either clamped it to my bench with C clamps or put it in my bench vise that is already bolted to my bench

Lagged to the 4x4 leg of my work bench. Out of the way when not needed but there when needed.

Reactions: Sendero_Man