• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Vise/Wood Shims

jlorensen

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2020
Kansas City
Ordered a barrel vise with wood shims this week. It has a pre drilled block for a 1" barrel, as well as an undrilled block. My M700 appears larger diameter just forward of the receiver, so would it be best to drill the blank block to match (or slightly undersize?) or use the1" block a little further down the barrel (it would have a slight taper at that section).

Thanks!

I usually clamp it to a spot where the barrel is a bit bigger than the hole, often it on a taper so surface contact isn’t great but as long as it’s not super tight it works.

Best grip is on the shank if it is stubborn.
A bit of rosin really helps.

Just head down the barrel until you like the fit….similarly, head to your local craft store and get a piece of leather to wrap around the barrel, lining the shim. Sprinkle on some rosin and torque away even if your shim fit isn’t exact.

Just head down the barrel until you like the fit….similarly, head to your local craft store and get a piece of leather to wrap around the barrel, lining the shim. Sprinkle on some rosin and torque away even if your shim fit isn’t exact.
Leather is the trick. Get the thickest stuff you can find (within reason). I’m using 8/9oz (3.6mm) vegetable tanned full-grain cowhide leather. After clamping on your first barrel it’ll ‘form’ to the clamp, which makes it easy to place. I haven’t had any trouble since using this (albeit with a Viper vise), even clamping onto barrels where the fluting is fairly aggressive at the clamping spot. Just pick up a sheet of the leather and cut the strips slightly deeper than the clamp block’s barrel channel, and as long as you can without interfering with the clamp bolts.

I don’t even bother with rosin and I’ve yanked and installed a lot of barrels running 70-90ft/lb without a single scratch to any finish on any of the barrels. I’d been messing around with layers of masking tape before and beyond making a mess, sometimes the adhesive would slip and it’d cause slight marks on the barrel. This was primarily a problem with fluted barrels, but leather is just better for everything I’ve run across.

Leather is the trick. Get the thickest stuff you can find (within reason). I’m using 8/9oz (3.6mm) vegetable tanned full-grain cowhide leather. After clamping on your first barrel it’ll ‘form’ to the clamp, which makes it easy to place. I haven’t had any trouble since using this (albeit with a Viper vise), even clamping onto barrels where the fluting is fairly aggressive at the clamping spot. Just pick up a sheet of the leather and cut the strips slightly deeper than the clamp block’s barrel channel, and as long as you can without interfering with the clamp bolts.

I don’t even bother with rosin and I’ve yanked and installed a lot of barrels running 70-90ft/lb without a single scratch to any finish on any of the barrels. I’d been messing around with layers of masking tape before and beyond making a mess, sometimes the adhesive would slip and it’d cause slight marks on the barrel. This was primarily a problem with fluted barrels, but leather is just better for everything I’ve run across.
Much appreciated!

Yup Leather is the secret. Like mentioned find a good veg tanned atleast 9oz strip and cut it to fit around. Helps to add grip if you are using an AL/Steel barrel vise and protects the barrel.

70 FT pounds is more than enough for any barrel.

Reactions: jlorensen
Leather works well, right up until it doesn't. If the leather won't, step up to lead sheet. Even works on old Mausers. Either way, tighten down on the nuts until they won't budge. Then count to 50 or so, and tighten again.

Leather works well, right up until it doesn't. If the leather won't, step up to lead sheet. Even works on old Mausers. Either way, tighten down on the nuts until they won't budge. Then count to 50 or so, and tighten again.
Just use a hydraulic press if dealing with old Mausers. Kidding! (not really...)

What do you mean it won't work? It holds a good enough grip to get off tikkas which are notorious for needing relief cuts by people who don't lift.

Barrel vise arrived today.....still waiting on leather, but couldn't help but give it a try. Only thing accomplished was my fat ass breaking a sweat! Guess I'll try again with the leather.....and I'll reach out to my local smith just in case.

Until Sunday..........

Barrel vise arrived today.....still waiting on leather, but couldn't help but give it a try. Only thing accomplished was my fat ass breaking a sweat! Guess I'll try again with the leather.....and I'll reach out to my local smith just in case.

Until Sunday..........
Was the barrel slipping? That’s what actually causes the surface damage with most vises. The leather will fix that, but you really have to have the vise cranked tight. I like the 4-bolt vises since you can really put a lot of clamping force on them with less need for a breaker bar.

What do you mean it won't work? It holds a good enough grip to get off tikkas which are notorious for needing relief cuts by people who don't lift.
so i didn't have thick leather but cut up a leather work glove and that didn't give enough grip inside the wood bushings to get my tikka barrel off. because i didn't think factory tikka barrels had any sort of resale value, i just clamped mine in my machine vise and had to REALLY clamp it such that the jaws marred and scratched and gouged the barrel and i finally got it off. that was after soaking the joint for a full 24 hours in kroil.

Until Sunday..........
Find a tandy leather, Horse Tack or leatherworking shop nearby. Every city has 1 or 3. Get the heaviest Veg Tan leather you can find, only needs to be about 2" wide and maybe 6 inches long.

Last edited:
so i didn't have thick leather but cut up a leather work glove and that didn't give enough grip inside the wood bushings to get my tikka barrel off. because i didn't think factory tikka barrels had any sort of resale value, i just clamped mine in my machine vise and had to REALLY clamp it such that the jaws marred and scratched and gouged the barrel and i finally got it off. that was after soaking the joint for a full 24 hours in kroil.
Well there is your problem. A piece of a leather glove is not even 1/4 as thick or compressible as we are talking about.

I just use a business card, compresses solid and fills any loose air space. Tighten the nuts on the vice up until they won’t go anymore and smack the wrench with a sledge or put a big ass breaker pipe on the end of it.

Edit: I have the aluminum viper vise though. If you really squeeze the shit out of the nuts it can do the hardest factory barrel with a 3lb sledge. That sported howa was a bitch but it went on the 5th smack.

Last edited:
Do you wrap the barrel or just lay it across the top or bottom?
Top and bottom fully covering the area the vise would have touched the barrel, with a little excess since the leather will have to cover the radius of the curve.

Do you wrap the barrel or just lay it across the top or bottom?
Wrap the barrel so there is a bit of overlap for a MTU or full profile barrel (Whatever you shoot). It will squeeze down and grip the barrel. I want atleast one layer of leather between all contact points and the barrel. This is how you keep barrel from getting nicked or finish getting jacked up.

Wrap the barrel so there is a bit of overlap for a MTU or full profile barrel (Whatever you shoot). It will squeeze down and grip the barrel. I want atleast one layer of leather between all contact points and the barrel. This is how you keep barrel from getting nicked or finish getting jacked up.
Worked like a champ! Since I'm so impatient with things like this, I managed to find an actual leather belt that no longer fit and cut off about 6". My daughter provided the extra set of hands, and with only about half of my 220lbs, this barrel/receiver broke loose. Now just have to wait for the new parts to arrive. No breaker bar needed, used a 12" Cresent to tighter the barrel vise, and a Northland Shooter's Supply action wrench to break things loose.
20211211_093156.jpg

20211211_093922.jpg

20211211_093927.jpg

Last edited:
I think Spife has the right idea using a hammer on the wrench. That sudden sharp rap helps to break things lose. Slow application of torque can have a hard time over coming the friction

You don''t really need a hammer unless its a Tikka or someone put it on with like 100+ ftlbs, or its cold welded.

If you do use a hammer, a 3-5lbs Deadblow is what you want. A few quick smacks should break the seal.