• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett 98b

coldfront

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2010
australia
G,day, Guys has any one on here has any info on this rifle,I be using it on targets and goats up to 700-1100m . Now I like to know how good are this rifles for this job ???. Thanks Mark

Re: Barrett 98b

It's definitely a shooter. We have one with us here, and we got to see two of them in action at the Sniper's Hide Cup this past March and they are very accurate reliable rifles.

I would think they would make short work out of your goats and targets.

Lowlight thanks for that,did you get a chance to see the groups from those rifles and at what distance?.Factory or hand loads?.Im just in the middle of putting one to work.

Yes, I did, it groups extremely well using factory Lapua 250gr Scenars... as I recall around .5 MOA at 100, and I know he did extremely well at distance, first round hits at 1000 yards. from inside 100 to 1000 yards it was a hammer.

Thank you for the quick reply Lowlight , will let you know how this one goes ones its fired . Mark

They just had a recall recently. I'm not sure what all it was about but I would check into it before I bought. They look cool.

I got to pull the trigger on one a couple weeks ago. It was nice & comfortable and had a good feel to it. Trigger was good (unmodified) out the box & recoil was zilch. The Muz. jump was 'Way Less' than my heavy barrel 300wm without a Break.
What struck me the most was laying out next to it and shooting along side it. Was pleasant because the Muz. blast on it was not harsh at all like I was expecting it to be. It's got a big 2-port Break that resembles a slightly enlarged FTE in style. They did a nice job on choosing the Break, easy to lay next to shooter & way EASY to stay on target after pulling the trigger.

Jimmy there is a recall on them but my rifle (no) build its not one of them.We can't import one off them here 408 cheytac that is top rifle ,You guys have lots nice gear.Im planing a trip your way in near future to check same the shops and scopes.

Softcock sounds off thinks you are very happy with it,its good to hear no negative comments so far about the rifle.Have you got any idea on the groups at 500 or 1000 m would love to know.thank you for all your quick replys .

Can you replace the barrel on the 98 Bravo the traditional way by screwing it off the reciever or does it have to get sent back to barrett to have it pressed back in,if and when one wants to replace a barrel. From what little I know on thier 50's the barrel must be pressed,correct me if Im wrong.Just thinking ahead.

Paul2atlo8 ,very good Q I loved to know. How do you change a barrel on this rifle say after 2000 rounds??.

hey coldfront,

i have heard on the Barrett forum that they are going to be bringing out Bolts/Barrels to allow use if different calibers, therefore leading me to believe that changing the barrel will be easy enough!

i have a 98B 27 inch barrell version, Love it!!

Shoots rather well imo.

Using handloads I have put five shot groups into .3 at short range
( 100 yds ). No long range testing done yet as the only ranges in
the area that can go long distance don't allow the big guns to
come play. :| ( no .50, .338, or anything Cheytac )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anthony box</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey coldfront,

i have heard on the Barrett forum that they are going to be bringing out Bolts/Barrels to allow use if different calibers, therefore leading me to believe that changing the barrel will be easy enough!

i have a 98B 27 inch barrell version, Love it!! </div></div>

I hope you right , have you used it on targets beyond 1000m or on goat for example???.

Nope , not yet.

Maybe if you ask Lowlight about the bloke who used one in the last Snipers Hide cup , apparently it performed very well. he would know!

cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nehumanus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Shoots rather well imo.

Using handloads I have put five shot groups into .3 at short range
( 100 yds ). No long range testing done yet as the only ranges in
the area that can go long distance don't allow the big guns to
come play. :| ( no .50, .338, or anything Cheytac ) </div></div>

Mate just go for long drive in to the bush find a nice spot 1k+ with good back drop and have a go .

98 Barrett with a Vortex Razor HD 5x20x50

Excellent accuracy with the 27” pushing the 300gr.Lapua Scenars out to a ½ mile and hitting the marks, looking forward to getting out farther