• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrett BORS worth the money help???

Re: barrett BORS worth the money help???

would all come down to price. If it is a SCREAMING deal.....maybe.

I would not pay for one. Would sell the mk4 add the money and get a "better" FFP scope.

1400.00 and im a newbie i ant going to lie i bought and buy off of research and what feels good. and i am medical retired and have little money but not alot at all just dont have lot of bills Harleys paided off lol lol

what do you mean by ffp scope

respectfully

First Focal Plane. The reticle is always the same size relative to the target regardless of magnification.

EDITED- temporary retardation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> No, first focal plane means the reticle is always the same size to the eye, regardless of the magnification. It is the targets size that changes, relative to the reticle, on a FFP scope. </div></div>

I think you are talking about SFP. FFP reticles grow, as does the target, as magnification increases.

My team mate used one on his Barrett M99. He ended up getting rid of it and just going with a USO for his match rifle and a NF on the .50 BMG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> No, first focal plane means the reticle is always the same size to the eye, regardless of the magnification. It is the targets size that changes, relative to the reticle, on a FFP scope. </div></div>

I think you are talking about SFP. FFP reticles grow, as does the target, as magnification increases. </div></div>You are 100% right and I was thinking second focal plane because we are talking Nightforce scopes. First focal plane is as described, apologies please.

I have done alot of searches on the BORS system still not sure about it if you buy one I would love to hear about it.

Cowboy, many [maybe most] guys here shoot tactical courses and determining the range to the target is a crucial part of the challenge. They use the reticle in their scopes to do this and that's what they're talking about above. To reliably 'range' the target, they need a good scope and reticle along with a good working knowledge of the math involved to convert size of the target in the scope into distance to the target.

If you don't do that kind of shooting, then you don't need to spend a fortune on that kind of scope (not that there's anything wrong with having top quality glass). Of course, the gear and skills needed in tactical shooting can also be used for long range hunting. Laser range finders can make much of that unnecessary but the accuracy of lasers is sometimes limited by max distance, ambient conditions, and other factors.

The BORS devices rely on first having an accurate distance to the target. What they do is basically replace the second challenge of distance shooting - taking the distance and converting that into the needed scope adjustment (or holdover) in order for a particular gun and ammo to hit the target at the given range. The BORS also factors in many other pertinent factors like elevation, temperature, up or down angles to the target, etc. A really good sniper with lots of experience can do everything a BORS can do, but being that good is a tall order. It's what the tactical shooter strives for.

I had a BORS on my nightforce and sold it. It does work but I think your money is better spent else where.
It is expensive, adds weight to your rifle and eats batteries like you would not believe!!! Biggest downfall for me was any program changes being made had to be done by PC and then downloaded to the BORS, this becomes a pain when you are in the field and want to make any adjustments.

Sell the mk4 and put the money towards a nicer scope!

I think if you took that money and spent it on some professional training it would help you out a lot more then the BORS and its questionable benefits.

Wasn't saying the mk4 is a pile of shit. Was just suggesting if the OP has the money to spend it is upgradeable.

i didn't get the mk4 yet, i was trying to get my build together and the BORS was at this gun shop in port orange fl, well went to go their to pick up my 700 rem they said they had got in for me, and when i got their after driving 80 miles the shop decided to up the price on the mk 4 and the BORS and a S&W mp15 i was going to get.

to say the least i dint get anything, so im not currently in a build at this moment, looking for a gun retailer i can trust and fell good about the information i am getting, think i might have to take a trip up to N. Ga get my firearms from their and my optics.

I appreciate all the information i have been getting from here and when i get to shooting looking forward for more support, hoping to be going to Ga this Friday we will see what happens

I think the usage and feedback about the BORS depends on what you are using it for, and what type of rifle it is mounted on. It also depends on what additional equipment you have.
I have two BORS units, and have mounted a third on a recetly completed custom rifle. Our group does a pile of non-tactical, known distance shooting in field conditions. Our rifles are heavy, so the extra girth that the BORS has, is of no concern. We shoot like this to practice for hunting season. I, and most in the group, find benefit to using the BORS. Having said that, I can see how many, if not all, of its features can be redundant.
We spot, and set up on targets/animals, range our distance, and dial in the elevation using the BORS. Wind still has to be calculated via a Kestral and a handheld device. These devices also calculate drop, etc, like the BORS does. Redundant.
I like having the elevation read out diplayed, as well as having barrel angle, temperature, altitude, humidity and cant calculated for me. A quality range finder is a must, if you don't have one then the BORS will be all but useless, as it relies on known distance to funtion correctly.
I can't say whether the BORS makes me a better judge of conditions, but I can say, for me, it does reduce a few annoying variables. I can say for certain, it sure as hell does not make me a better shot. And, it does eat batteries pretty good. I like it, and it works for me, my type of rifle, and the type of shooting I do.

R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah sell that leupold what a hunking pile of shit.

/sarcasm </div></div>

I'll say it, it is a pile! Don't bother with the Bors, save your money and buy ammo!