• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Barrett MRAD vs AI AX .338

Dutch405

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2010
Oklahoma
Ok, I am a huge lurker on this forum and I never really post a question unless I can't find sufficient information with the search function. I have been into precision long range shooting since mid '09. I have 2,235 rounds down the barrel of my Sako TRG-22 (chambered .308) with NSX 5.5-22x56 and advanced armorment cyclone suppressor. I reload with a Forster Co ax and I use redding comp dies. That is my background. I have began researching my next rifle purchase, and I have decided on the .338 lapua mag cartridge. I have a ranch in central Oklahoma. I have a 1000yd range with swinging steel targets right now, and I have the capability of building a 1700-2000 yd range. I am really interested in the Accuracy International AX .338 and the Barrett MRAD. I will more than likely supress the rifle with a thunderbeast suppressor. I watched lowlight's video with the MRAD and it really got me excited about the rifle. My question's for my fellow hide members is this:
1. Is the ax.338 worth the extra $2500-3000? If so, please help me understand why?
2. Is the accuracy comparable between the two? I heard how the 98b was sub par with accuracy and this had me wondering about the MRAD. (if that is incorrect info I apologize)
3. I will be suppressing the rifle. Are there any pros/cons to suppressing either of these rifles?
4. Just out of pure curiosity, which of these 2 would you choose?

Thank you so much for your time and help. If there are previous threads comparing these two or discussing them together I would really appreciate any links. I searched and read a few threads but I was left looking for more information.
Thank you,
Dutch

Re: Barrett MRAD vs AI AX .338

If you have the coin, get the AX.

However, I don't think the MRAD is any less of a gun. From what i have read, its awesome.

All seem to come with muzzle breaks, you might need to talk to a smith about changing it for a supressor.

I love the idea of the ax.338 and it looks pretty knarly as well. I just know that saving $3000 will get me a nicer U.S optics scope rather than another Nightforce ( nothing bad about Nightforce I'm just looking for a change) and a lot of reloading supplies. I read a thread on here where someone said that thunderbeast and surefire have options for Barrett's thread pattern.
I'm really interested in hearing about parts/overall quality of the two and hands on functionality. After reading lowlights observations on the MRAD I'm pretty sold on the accuracy.

Is the AX truly on a different level than the MRAD?

Thanks for the quick reply JP!

Disclaimer: I have not used either. I have an AE MKIII and am a big AI fan. Their gear is top notch.

The AX338 action is not the same as the AW, it has some upgrades.

If Lowlight says its good, its good.

I know that the MRAD is still newish so I figured it might be hard to find a lot of info on it right now but I figured that this is definitely the place to ask and I assume that their are others on here in my situation or interested in the comparison between these two incredible firearms.

I've owned an AW for seven years or so - best money I've ever spent on a rifle. I cannot foresee ANY circumstances in which I would consider selling it and have never had it put a foot wrong.

I was really interested in the MRAD when it was first announced...but from what I can see (a) it isn't available via the UK Barrett importer and (b) it seems that Barrett promise much but are very flaky on delivery. Am I still interested? Yes. Do I want to buy now on vague promises about futures? No.

The AX is out there NOW - no smoke, no mirrors...just a fine rifle that has a proven pedigree. I have no doubt they are built to last, reliable and shoot like a laser.

Price difference.....look at the cost of ownership/resale value, not just the initial outlay. AI's hold their value.

Save some extra pennies for an S&B to top it off and don't look back!

I think I'm leaning towards the Barrett based on the price point. I've never shot an AI but I can't imagine it being $3000 better quality than the Barrett. Now if Barrett would start making them in black or OD! Im not really fond of the FDE color

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it seems that Barrett promise much but are very flaky on delivery.</div></div>

This is one of the important aspects of the MRAD that a lot of people seem to not consider when comparing it to similar modular rifles. At this point alternative caliber conversions are vaporware.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dutch405</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've never shot an AI but I can't imagine it being $3000 better quality than the Barrett. </div></div>

Do yourself a favour....try to get down behind both and try them before you decide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dutch405</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've never shot an AI but I can't imagine it being $3000 better quality than the Barrett. </div></div>

The MRAD is $5899, and AI AX is $7846. Now math isn't my strong suit but I'm pretty sure that's well short of a 3k difference.
wink.gif

AI all the way. I say that with the experience of owning two and having experience with 3. I have not shot a MRAD but I have shot a TON of rifles and none of them are at the AI level as a complete package.

If you are going to save money, save big and buy a TRG-42. They can be had from Eurooptic for $2800, which should save you enough to buy a Bender and still come in around the same price as the MRAD alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LarryA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dutch405</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've never shot an AI but I can't imagine it being $3000 better quality than the Barrett. </div></div>

The MRAD is $5899, and AI AX is $7846. Now math isn't my strong suit but I'm pretty sure that's well short of a 3k difference.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Ok I see what you did there lol.. I have seen the MRAD for as low as $5300 and the best price I can find on a 20" AI Ax is around $8600.00. I had the difference closer to $3300 but I was rounding down a bit to make me feel more comfortable about buying the AI haha. Thank you for the information Larry. Is it against the forums rules to ask advice on where to get a good deal on one of these rifles? . I was looking on the websites of a couple board sponsors in order to price each rifle and so that's how I reached my numbers. Btw, I really appreciate all of the feedback and information that I'm getting on here, you guys are awesome!!

EuroOptic was very aggressive when I was pricing new TRG's. I'd give them a call and see if they can do better than the advertised price.

Ok great thank you! That's one of the companies that I looked at originally when gathering my numbers. It's good to know that they might be flexible.

Since I posted this question I've been reading extensively and found a couple more older hide threads pertaining to this subject. It just seems that nobody has had any real time behind the MRAD. That would be awesome to see Barrett get the kits out by the end of the year! Maybe I should sit back and be Patient so that I can see how much these caliber conversion kits will cost. That Ax is just too sexy and according to many AI owners they are incredibly solid..

I shot the MRAD in 338 Lapua at the Hide Cup this year, it was a real nice rifle. I am in the process of buying one and I'm hoping that they get off their asses and bring other the other calibers asap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot the MRAD in 338 Lapua at the Hide Cup this year, it was a real nice rifle. I am in the process of buying one and I'm hoping that they get off their asses and bring other the other calibers asap. </div></div>

I would love to have the opportunity to shoot before I buy... I heard several people mention how the bolt on the MRAD felt solid like a vault. What was the deciding factor for you Adam? Is there a particular feature that threw you over the edge??

I love my Barrett MRAD. Muzzle break allows you to shoot all day with less recoil than my 308. Most solidly built rifle I own. Waiting for the 308 conversion myself. Just look at their record with their 50 cal. They're not going anywhere and stand behind their products. And yes, ThunderBeast has a suppressor that can be fitted to the MRAD 338 and 308 conversion when available. Will just screw on over the ThunderBeast muzzle breaks.Can't beat this package for the price when available. Then just top off with new March 5X40 56mm FFP scope with your extra money and you'll be set for life with a fantastic platform.

Heard on Barrett Forum today that 1st run of 308 WIN and 300 WM should be out in the first quarter of next year !!! I can't wait to pick up the 308. We'll see.

At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

My only complaint about the Barrett I fingered the other day was the polymer sleeved bolt and bolt raceway produced an excessively hard bolt lift. That and the lack of conversions means you are getting a complexity you don't need and paying for a feature you don't have.

I was going to buy one but they never got back with me on when conversions would be available so I bought an AIAX. Hard to beat a platform that is already established with a ton of accessories and support.

I got the chance to handle the AIAX the other day and I must say that I was very impressed with the build quality. I have since decided that I'm going to build a GAP-10 and get a little more time behind the glass before I take on such a large caliber, but I'm sure when the time comes I'll be purchasing an accuracy international product.

Well some time has passed and just hoping someone can add to this search

At THIS point - 308, 300wm and 338 are available for the MRAD...

I wasn't impressed with the MRAD. I really wasn't...And after Chris Barrett, himself, personally promising these would be out YEARS ago, I, like many others, finally threw in the towel...

For me, it was mostly because I have no where to shoot 338, really...I maybe, put 200 rounds through mine which, isn't enough to even judge the rifle but, it sat in my safe, forever.

I am very impressed by the AI MC and the AI AT. - The price is right, barrel swaps...

Quite frankly, AI follows through...They're good people and they're on the forums...

I'd take a guarantee over another "promise" any day...

I had my MRAD for 18 months and put 1500-1600 rounds through it. Great 0.5 MOA rifle-solid and dependable, but very heavy and only three barrel conversions after 3 years. Have since purchased two DTA SRS A1s with multiple barrel conversions-one in 338LM which shoots just as accurately. MRAD conversions are $2000. Sold my MRAD several weeks ago and ordered a new AI AXMC 308. Multiple barrel conversions already available and about $800. MRAD solid, but still just not as flexible as offerings from other manufacturers!

Love Barrett's dedication to our military, but feel their civilian prices are a little steep.

I too am a big lurker here (please don't call the police, I still have a thing I need to clear up out there!), and I am considering the MRAD. I am also considering the TRG-42 in 338LM. I was pretty much decided to go with the Sako, however inventory is scarce right now due to a forthcoming update to the gun. I planned on buying in April, but who knows when they will actually be available. I really only choose that over the MRAD due to a price difference of about $1500 ($3500 for TRG-42 338, plus brake, rails, extra mag compared to $5850 for the MRAD with all that). However, now I that I am almost ready to pull the trigger on the purchase, I am liking the MRAD's style and the fact I can switch over to 300 WinMag if I want in the future without having to put another $5000 into yet another new gun (I already have a custom built Rem 700 5R in 308). So now that extra $1500 doesn't' sound so bad. That plus I have a buddy who owns a shop and he is a Barrett dealer so he can get me a great price on one. He can't seem to get the Beretta people to return his call so he can become a Sako dealer too (not a good sign of customer service to come?) so I am stuck paying retail through EuroOptic or some place else. Am I crazy for going MRAD over TRG-42??

bpenlandjr........Get the Sako......you won't regret it. I was in the same boat in December choosing between the 2. Went with the TRG. I love it. No regrets in my decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Decisions, decisions..... damn I wish it was easy! I got a feeling I may just have to buy both! LOL

AX .338 with S+B 5-25x56 PMII Double turn, 0.1mrad,parralax, combat proven and you just couldnt beat it with a big stick.

I have shot both -
I originally ordered an MRAD - ended up canceling it, and bought the AX. I have since burned out a barrel on the AX and love the rifle. could not get me to trade my used AX for a new MRAD!
The Barrett is a great rifle, dont get me wrong and have shot several - I just prefer the overall quality of the AI.

You have been given the best advice HERE , get the AX & a S&B PMII , end of story .

IF you spend a little less & get a Mrad etc , you will regret it .

There is a guy in New Zealand & he has one , and it never shoot accurate from day one , and barrel was toast very rapidily , he had no luck with the company accepting responsiblity for it , and had to have a custom barrel fitted .

Is the AX worth a few more grand , YES .

Later Chris

The MRAD would be a good value if it was closer to $4000 stock, giving it a leg up over a TRG-42, but at $5500 I think it falls into this weird category where it's competing with an SRS but can't offer anywhere near the level of versatility nor availability of options. Knock the price down 20% or so and you've got a more economical switch barrel option without as many bells and whistles, but still more versatile than a TRG-42. Barrett has done very well and their brand is nearly a household name, so I suspect the reason their civilian prices are a good 25% more than I think they should be probably has more to do with name recognition than actual performance or quality.