• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett MRAD VS Berrett MK22 Accuracy

Victory77

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2022
MT
While its true, you cant always believe what you hear or read, it makes sense to me to take information from a variety of sources and come to a logical decision or opinion based on this. I've seen a seemingly credible person make the statement that the Berrett MRAD is not held to as high of standard, and therefore is not at accurate as a Berrett MK22 because it has more strict requirements to pass through. There is a particular video on youtube where the person has first hand experience, and claims its different animal.

Would anyone with some first hand knowledge of this be willing to share their thoughts or feelings on this?

Do you mean the only different is the package it comes in, paint scheme, and price?

The latest commercial spec guns (with MLOK) are mechanically identical to the Mk22s. By contract the Mk22s will have additional government acceptance testing, the gov guns come as a complete kit, has a specified color, and the 308 will have a faster twist rate on the barrel... but all the latest MRADs are shooters.

For my own curiosity in the past, Ive swapped barrels between a Mk22 and a regular MRAD and not see a change in performance in the barrels. If you've ever taken one apart, you should see its a relatively simple gun and I don't see how there could be much difference assuming the barrel is installed and torqued correctly.

Well I really appreciate the feedback. I understand what your saying and I agree. I want to see other people opinions on this, and experience.
It would be ridiculous if it was not as accurate considering I just ordered one. :)

from my understanding it's the same weapon system, just comes all packaged up... Post the link to the video, first I heard that it's a different animal

Reactions: mike10
The latest commercial spec guns (with MLOK) are mechanically identical to the Mk22s. By contract the Mk22s will have additional government acceptance testing, the gov guns come as a complete kit, has a specified color, and the 308 will have a faster twist rate on the barrel... but all the latest MRADs are shooters.

For my own curiosity in the past, Ive swapped barrels between a Mk22 and a regular MRAD and not see a change in performance in the barrels. If you've ever taken one apart, you should see its a relatively simple gun and I don't see how there could be much difference assuming the barrel is installed and torqued correctly.
Not exactly accurate on the barrel side of it possibly from what is on the production gun vs the Mk22 spec. gun.

The spec. given for the barrels for the ASR which Barrett got the contract for...chamber spec's are different for the 300 Norma and 338 Norma and bore and groove spec's for the barrels have a tolerance of size +.0004" for each.

Rifling is suppose to be 5R and 8 twist for the 30cal's for the 308win and 300 Norma and 5R and 1-9.5 twist for the 338's.

Now what's is being actually put on the guns....? That I cannot confirm but the MK22 barrels should be held to a tighter and more specific spec.

Unless something has changed...I could be wrong but I'll say no. As all of the ammunition test barrels that we've been making for ASR spec guns is different then Saami spec. stuff.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Is there still a controversey about running the 8 twist with 30 cals ?
I'm loving my .308 with the 1/8 twist. I have loads using 168gr to 175 gr. Supersonic and loads from 190-220gr subsonic for it. Been extremely accurate

Reactions: ma smith
I can't comment on accuracy of the standard MRAD vs the MK22 as I've never had the chance to fire a MK22, but I have one of the more recent MLOK MRADs with a 6.5CM (older barrel however), 300PRC & 338LM barrels and this rifle is plenty accurate with each of these barrels installed. I watched that video you shared when it was first launched and scratched my head, not really sure how the rifle could get more accurate than the performance I'm seeing.....

It is worth noting, the MLOK MRAD and the MK22 do run a slightly different style bolt/ bolt body vs older MRADs. I purchased an old style bolt body with non captured bolt retaining pin to be able to run the bolt from my old 6.5 barrel.

Thank you guys for giving your thoughts and experience. Your probably right about posing this question before hand. I had done as much research as possible, and at some point you have to go for it.

So if it is true due to the barrel...not saying that I need one as of now. There is potential to have someone make a barrel that has tighter tolerances.

Is there still a controversey about running the 8 twist with 30 cals ?
Not sure. I'll say yes but not positive.

My opinion....for the ammo that is being run thru the 308win. barrels you don't need the 8 twist even in the shorty barrels. Won't necessarily hurt you as long as you shoot good ammo/good bullets.

The 300 Norma big heavy bullets....even the 220/225gr bullets will fly with no issues out of a 10 twist. So is a 8 needed here?

So I'm unsure of where and when and why the 8 got picked. Standardizing on one twist for the same caliber (not same chamber) makes sense logistically wise though.

Reactions: Gozer and ma smith
Never shot the MK22 variant, but I can tell you my MRAD is very accurate in 6.5-CM, 300-PRC, and 338-LM (those are the barrel kits I use).
I have a Mk22 and concur. My 300 PRC Proof Carbon barrel shoots lights out. I won a LRC match the first time out with it...1000yd targets are a chip shot. 230gr Atips going 2900 are amazing.

The simplicity and modularity of the rifle is outstanding. My only complaint is the trigger although it's not bad. Just wish Trigger Tech would make a replacement trigger. It would be worth their time since the entire DoD community is going with the Mk22 is some configuration.

Reactions: Gozer
Thank you guys for giving your thoughts and experience. Your probably right about posing this question before hand. I had done as much research as possible, and at some point you have to go for it.

So if it is true due to the barrel...not saying that I need one as of now. There is potential to have someone make a barrel that has tighter tolerances.

Maybe don't speculate so much and instead decide if there is a problem after you shoot yours.

Speculation is one of the biggest time and energy wastes a person can engage in.

Reactions: Rudy Gonsior
Kinda late to be asking for opinions on its accuracy/quality/whatever, don't you think?
lol, i do the same thing.
although prolly not starting a thread...i always waste time trying to justify or reinforce my choices, after it is too late.
i probably watched twice as many 1301 tactical reviews after i bought one than before. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Maybe don't speculate so much and instead decide if there is a problem after you shoot yours.

Speculation is one of the biggest time and energy wastes a person can engage in.
What you say is true. At the same time, if I was to put it into different wording, id say gathering information is like collecting intelligence. You don't believe everything you hear and read, but compare and dissect the information.

What you say is true. At the same time, if I was to put it into different wording, id say gathering information is like collecting intelligence. You don't believe everything you hear and read, but compare and dissect the information.

For intelligence to be useful, it needs to be actionable. I suppose the only action you could take at this point is cancel your order based on anecdotal information.

Or you could consider that you're buying a very modern rifle, from a highly pedigreed manufacturer, and relax until you get it and you can shoot it.

Have access to both guns and shoot them a lot, haven’t noticed any differences as our MK22 barrels work just fine in the MRAD and vice versa. They are excellent rifles.

Don't know how accurate the mk22 is but my mrad(308) shoots .3 at a 100yds. When I first took her out, I didn't have match ammo but I grabbed my ar308 reloads(shoots less than an inch @ 100yds). Lapua brass, fed 215 primers, pulled smk 175 pills, blc2 powder.

Having shot both, I can confidently say 98% of shooters would not be able to shoot the difference between the two. Any variation would like come down to individual rifle performance.

Reactions: jmornoinf
from my understanding it's the same weapon system, just comes all packaged up... Post the link to the video, first I heard that it's a different animal
I think the XRING guy is referring to the Gen I MRADs vs the newer Gen II MRADs. I think he uses the term "MRAD" in these videos referring to the Gen I and when he talks about the MK22 I think he is talking about any of the new MRAD Gen IIs.