• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Barska scopes

Re: Barska scopes

I use Barska scopes on a couple of my .22's, but that's it. I tried to put one on a rifle I had in .30-06 once, and it did not fare so well.

There is the chance, however slight that citizen#987004 decided to take the time on his particular scope, and not meet his production quota for that day. Rather, he dedicated his work day to perfecting this seemingly budget scope, rather than producing the 10 per minute he was expected to. With precision measurments and tooling he etched, milled, measured and peiced together the single finest scope barska has ever produced.

What was the point of the op? to say hey look at what i got?

Snooty? Not hardly, guys were tryin to help you out and let you know those things are steamy shit

dont get all defensive cause you bought not one but two steaming piles of shat

take the advice, do with it what you want but dont come on a sight and run your suck to guys offering their opinion

btw,i wouldnt use a barska tube for a fleshlight housing let alone a scope

cheerios

i got lucky with a couple barskas, but expecting them to crap out at any given moment.

have a "1st gen" swat that is holding up well on a .308, but again expecting it to crap out, it's the nature of the product.

bought 2 swats a couple of years back for a rimfire, one looked good enough, the next had that yellowish tint that made it not worth trying to use. returned both.

maybe 5 or 6 years ago they may have been a good value for the price, (i'm not an "optic snob") but for what they are now asking for a barska "tactical" scope, there are much better options in the same price range, and just for a little more $, you get a whole bunch more with another line / manufacturer that has a good reputation.

i was impressed by their target dot 6.5-20X that i have on a silhouette rifle, but it was only 68.00. if it lasts a year, i'd feel ok with the purchase.

hope you have luck with your purchase, but if it was at the usual price point that they are asking for the new swats, i'd return it and put even another 100.00 toward something else.

as much as i may get flamed for saying it, even the BSA "tactical 6-24" at midway for 150.00 is actually a better deal than the barska if you must have a low dollar scope to use in the meantime.

much like dirtyrod's post a page back, this is where the frustration of a not so upscale optic comes into play: shipping costs, gas costs to go back to the range, ammo costs to rezero or chase a zero till you realize the scope is F'd, cost of a new scope, try to sell your replacement scope, or if you don't sell your replacement scope, a year later your back in the scope market looking for another cheap non functional scope.

been there, done that several times with barska, bsa, simmons, yadda yadda, it's vicious, frustrating and useless. if you can buy once, cry once (i'm still not there yet). if not, try your best to get to that point. somewhere in the middle is a decent dependable optic that you'll be much more happy with (that's where i'm at).

My friend bought a 32x illuminated Barska scope.
The eyebox is terrible above 16x with unimpressive optical quality, and the illumination is unusable. That is the limit of my personal experience with Barska.

I started out with budget optics. Some BSA red dots and 2 AIM Sports scopes, a fixed 4x ACOG knockoff and a 4-16x.

The ACOG would not hold a zero between range trips and zeroing it was a PITA... one of the knobs was backwards and I could never remember which one, and adjusting one would move the reticle in the other plane.

The 4-16x would not hold a zero between range trips, even after switching to a one piece mount (a burly RRA mount).

I sold the ACOG on eBay and sent the other back to Sportsmansguide.com (they have THE BEST return policy!).

I bought 2 Pentax Gameseeker scopes from The Sportsman's Guide, one for less than $100 and the other a hair under $200. I figured, Pentax, a camera manufacturer with lifetime warranty, can't go wrong, right?

They were both okay at 100 yards, held zero okay, but the parallax on the 8-32x50 scope seemed like it was shifting after 50 rounds through an FNAR (.308 Winchester)... at first it focused at 100 yards with the knob close to 100 yards, eventually it took dialing it to 250 yards to focus at 100 yards.

Drove to the 300 yard range and neither scope was useable at full magnification. The BDC reticle on both scopes was calibrated at full magnification, and thus useless.

Both scopes went back to Sportsman's Guide immediately.

Lesson learned.

Now I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 and a Trijicon TR23 5-20x50 and will NEVER skimp on a scope again. I got most of my money back on the cheap optics I bought but all of the time and ammo I wasted... I can never get that back. Next scope will be a NightForce or an IOR.

Buy once, cry once, truer words have never been spoken.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obvious troll is obvious.

But one good point that does parallel reality. People will buy two mediocre rifles and put two Barskas on them. Why not have one descent scope for two rifles? Or how about one good rifle and one good scope? I've never understood how so many would trade quality for quantity. </div></div>

+1

Ya know....the one amazing thing I learned from this thead is that there is a "1rst gen" Barska.....soo that means there is a "2nd gen" ????

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lmao_37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well the hog i hit behind the ear at 400 yards at 3am with an illuminated retical (which made sighting easier) didnt know i was using "barska" scope </div></div>

Can not wait for the details! How exactly an illuminated reticle makes sighting easier???

400 yards at 3 AM with what, a flashlight???

WTF! Buy another PS3 game and load your closet with more 5:11 gear.

I heard they use real hair for their crosshairs is this true?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2/1_Kiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is the chance, however slight that citizen#987004 decided to take the time on his particular scope, and not meet his production quota for that day. Rather, he dedicated his work day to perfecting this seemingly budget scope, rather than producing the 10 per minute he was expected to. With precision measurments and tooling he etched, milled, measured and peiced together the single finest scope barska has ever produced. </div></div>

... and then he dropped it while putting it away and the scope broke in half.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lmao_37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered one of these to try on a No4 mk1 lee enfield sportster

img-swat-tactical-rifle-scope-117.jpg

I already have one of these on a mosin nagent, it holds zero really well and i have no issues with it, i just hope the new scope is as goodas the older scope if not better

img-sniper-scope-ac11002-barska-4-16x50-t.jpg

</div></div>

Probably want to stay away from a scope that is modeled on an airsoft gun.

Today I saw a guy at the range using a Barfka Tactical on a DPMS SASS. When I told him his SASS deserved a better scope he proudly showed me his target he had just shot at 25 yards. Group was about 1.25". When he moved out to 100 yards he just couldn't adjust for a 100 yard zero. He spent at least 100 rounds chasing his hits around the target. He was shooting 168 grain Federal GMM. He blamed everything except the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lmao_37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have any of you ever tried a barska scope ?</div></div>

Yes, Refer back to my comments above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lmao_37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iam pretty new to the shooting world having emigrated from England.</div></div>

Then consider this a first lesson in your lifetime shooting education. Cheap glass sucks. There are VERY, VERY few exceptions to this rule.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lmao_37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but i do know one thing next time iam cutting a severly injured person from a car or going to rescue someone from a burning house ill think of you all on here. </div></div>

Umm, WTF does that have to do with it. You are showing your ass on a site filled with folks from all occupations. We have active Military, LE, Firefighters, Lawyers, Accountants, etc.....

The next time I draw my weapon and run to a "shots fired" call your scope selection will not even be on the radar.

Want a cookie?

<span style="font-weight: bold">SO what were you hoping would occur when you come onto a site "For the Serious Tactical Marksman" to tell everyone about your purchase of a cheap, poor quality scope? Were you looking for a handjob?</span> </div></div>

+1. lmao037, this guy has more experience in the last 365 days with shooting and firearms than you will acquire the entire rest of your life. disregard his sound advice at your peril.

Reading the replies this thread has gotten, and the responses from the OP, i can't help but be reminded of the old adage "a fool and his money are soon parted."

The guy clearly isnt listening to anyone, and thinks his Barska is the cat's meow and be-all, end-all. terrific. go enjoy your new scope.

Don't like the reception you got here? feel free to leave. if you don't like the advice, tough s###. we aren't here to pat your belly and tell you how awesome you are. We call it like it is here. most of the people here shoot for a living. the rest of us are serious enough about shooting we have taken the time to learn what good equipment is and isn't. if you don't want to learn for yourself, we don't care.

To the OP: Lonewolfusmc called out you. plain and simple. he has direct, personal experience with the piece of kit you keep talking up. guess what: it didn't pass muster. you like it anyway? terrific. coming here and talking s### as a new shooter who doesn't know much by your own admission makes an ass of you.
-Paulus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Groups at 25yds?

What is he....10yrs old. That's unfair to 10yr olds.

If I wanted to hit something at 25yds...I'd pee on it. </div></div>

The point is he was so unaware of what it took to get a decant group @ 100 yards he thought he would get the same results @ 100 yard and in the same location as he did at 25 yards. I would estimate he was in his late 60's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paulus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we aren't here to pat your belly and tell you how awesome you are.
-Paulus </div></div>

Can I get some belly pats...I sure do loves my belly patted and my ego inflated.

Barska scopes are only a minor step above airsoft scopes. If that level of quality is something you are happy with then go out and shoot it and enjoy it. Like everyone in this thread I am not sure what kind of reaction the OP was expecting.