• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein or PVA

cjs88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    I expect this answer to be obvious but looking to replace my Tikka T3X 6.5cm barrel. Should I go Bartlein or PVA?

Bartlein is a barrel maker. You can have them do the work though.
    PVA is a Smith so you can get other barrels including bartlein...
    Either would be fine

Bartlein is a barrel maker. You can have them do the work though.
    PVA is a Smith so you can get other barrels including bartlein...
    Either would be fine
    PVA has their own blanks as well cut and button.
    I think that’s what the OP is asking.
    OP, I’d get whatever you can get readily.
    All the good cut rifled barrel are GTG and many button barrels are excellent as well.

Nothing but Bartlein barrels for my custom rifles. With that said, if weight is a concern, I really like the Proof Research Carbon fiber barrels, the one I have in 300 WM shoots .5 inch groups.

Weight isn't a concern. It will be used for more of a bench rifle. Bartlein seems the way to go to me. Pricing a PVA out for cut rifled, install on my atction, and brake combo is $843. Bartlein is almost half the price but I may have to pay as much in the end to get it installed properly, so I don't know.

Yup you need to price correctly. Bartlein makes great barrels and also does installation. The blanks are about $350 and then you add the cost of work which is on their site. See link below. PVA price is right about what a barrel and install would cost I have had PVA put a Bartlein barrels on my rifles and also have an action at Bartlein now getting a couple barrels put on. Both are excellent choices. No wrong decision here.

Weight isn't a concern. It will be used for more of a bench rifle. Bartlein seems the way to go to me. Pricing a PVA out for cut rifled, install on my atction, and brake combo is $843. Bartlein is almost half the price but I may have to pay as much in the end to get it installed properly, so I don't know.
    Call bartlein they install also...

You’ll pay the same in the end or very close to it.

Prior to going with pre fits, I was buying blanks and sending them to LRI for the fitting.

Using Proof pre fits in comp contour now. They’re almost half the price.

Where are you guys ordering your proof pre-fit barrels from? I've had no luck with optics planet.

Direct as well. Direct when I had an order placed. Was able to snag what I needed on the PX so no wait times for me :D

Reactions: Terry Cross
    Have gotten 3 barrels from PVA and could not be more pleased. Am blown away with there accuracy every time I go shoot.

Reactions: cjs88
    I have Bartlein barrels from top smiths, PVA Rock Creek button rifled barrels, Proof Stainless Steel barrels, Rock Creek cut rifled, and they all shoot absolutely stellar accuracy!

Reactions: yej0001
    Good to know. Thanks for the input. I’ve decided to go with PVA when it’s time.

Good to know. Thanks for the input. I’ve decided to go with PVA when it’s time.
    They have been very fast. I ordered two sako trg prefits on Wednesday and they will be here Tuesday. Less than a week from order to received. Quick. These will make number three and four for me from PVA.

Do a Google search on both companies about customer service problems and spend 15 minutes researching.
    1 search will bring up multiple threads that are each many pages long of customers who got the short straw in very recent years.
    The other search will come up almost empty.
    I know which one I would trust with my business.

I think barrels are a lot different than a preordered rifle, if that is what you’re getting at here.

Reactions: spife7980
    What retailer isn’t backed up on a Black Friday sale? Let alone a smith who makes your item to order.

Also look at Keystone Accuracy. Super responsive and a quick turn around for me, within a week. He runs good sales every few months also.

Reactions: DJ 480
    Also look at Keystone Accuracy. Super responsive and a quick turn around for me, within a week. He runs good sales every few months also.
    Just got my first custom barrel from him during his last sale. He uses Krieger for his cut barrels. Great price, had it in my hand in 3 weeks

Have two rifles from PVA and both are excellent in the precision department. One holers!

Josh, head of PVA, takes on a lot of projects at once - design high end fancy solid bullets, moving his shop, raising family, starting a "Production Rifle" line, etc - so his list of goals is sometimes longer than it should be. He is largely thru all the noise and I think gotten the core smithing business down again now.

After listening to Franks last pod cast with Bartlein barrels, Im sold on their stuff. I thought I wanted to go Proof on my next build but my mind is changed to Bartlein.

Reactions: Frank Green
    I have nothing against PVA. I hope they straightened out there issues... that being said there are plenty of options. You can always call Bartlein and ask there turn times... they are also active and support the site and tactical shooting.

Reactions: 1fliride
    Give PVA a call, the most accurate rifle I ever had was one that Josh put on a Gen 1 Big Horn (prior to Zermatt) for my first 6.5CM. The rifle I compared that to was my TacOPs 51.

If you need a brake then his Jet series are looking interesting to me. I've only had a Mad Scientist but for the new build he's making me I'll go with either a Jetblast or the other one - Jet4 I think.

Josh does solid work and his delivery times are amazingly fast right now. I ordered a custom cut rifled Dasher barrel July 3rd (4th July Special) and had it in hand on July 23rd. Hats off to Josh and Joe!

Do a Google search on both companies about customer service problems and spend 15 minutes researching.
    1 search will bring up multiple threads that are each many pages long of customers who got the short straw in very recent years.
    The other search will come up almost empty.
    I know which one I would trust with my business.

I used to think that as well.

It is now apparent PVA owns their past mistakes and is on a better path.

My experience with PVA customer service the past year has been excellent.

Deal with confidence.

I placed an order with PVA during a sale in May and I imagine they received a lot of orders at that time. I received the email below July 30th.
    This is not a complaint, I am sharing information as a heads up that PVA is shutting down for a week and adding a new lathe .

I wanted to reach out and provide a quick update on your barrel. Contouring has been completed as well as muzzle threading.

We are in the process of adding a new lathe to the shop and will be down next week to reorg and will be back to spinning barrels immediately thereafter. Your barrel will be chambered shortly after the new machine is settled and we will send tracking information once the chamber has been cut and the barrel will be shipped out.

Thank you for your continued support of Patriot Valley Arms.
    Regards,

Thanks,
    Joe R.

Reactions: jtackmann
    As others have alluded to in this thread, many, many people here would disagree; myself included. It's a moot point though, he already placed the order. Now all he can do is just wait and hope he gets a good barrel. But based on my experience, it's definitely not a guarantee.
    Hope it gets sorted out