• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Base to shoulder length

ilmonster

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
I have a Rem 700 in .223 that I reload for. I've begun developing 75 gr. BTHP and 68 gr. BTHP loads for it. I have some PMC brass that has been fired three times in this rifle. If I want to bump the shoulders back .001-.002", how do I determine the final length when I have brass with different fired lengths. I measured my three times fired brass, and get lengths from 1.458" to 1.463". From what length do I bump the shoulders back? Is this common? Thanks!

The longest is your max length so bump back from there. I think you'll find that some of them still bump back the same amount despite being different lengths. Obviously the extreme ends won't but I bet the majority will until you anneal or something or have enough firings on them for them to normalize. Strange it's not closer after three reloadings though.

Start with minimum sizing, 1.463 down to 1.461, and see if the bolt closes easily on them. If they do then you know that any further sizing will be unnecessary. If they don't crank the die down a thousandth. Some people like the bolt to just drag by feel, I liked them a bit looser but just ever so much more so.

edit: primers are removed for measuring? And you're spinning the case to find the smallest spot?

Thanks for the responses! No, the primers are not removed. I measured a dozen cases when I got back from the range Sunday to set up for reloading, but didn't deprime. I will deprime and remeasure tonight. Either way, you confirmed my suspicion that I should bump back from the longest cases.

As an aside, I did try to chamber the longest fired case and it did chamber fine, so 1.463" isn't too long. In the past I've tried to chamber an empty case fired from my AR and that sucker most certainly didn't chamber (measured at 1.469"). Again, thanks!