• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes basic question about doping scopes

XRAY110

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Arkansas
i apologize for asking such a basic question but i'm just getting started with long range shooting. will doping a regular 6x18x40 AO scope for long shots ruin it? it does not have the target turrets and i didn't know if a scope without them would hold up to constant adjustment. thanks

Re: basic question about doping scopes

That question depends on what brand/quality it is, but it definitely isn't recommended. More than likely you won't have the available travel to get to long range standards.

You are better off getting a scope with adjustable turrets, even if it is low cost due to budget.

Welcome.

How do you mean "ruin"? I mean, there SHOULD be no reason a scope should care how far it is clicked in the up and down direction (provided you dont over adjust the range of course).

Provided you have enough adjustment in your scope to get to your target, it sounds like you are wondering about durability. I think that is definitely something to consider, especially on a lower end scope. Often the adjustment or click can be inconsistent, irregular or simply just off (ie .25 moa click = .32 moa travel. etc). If the adjustments are not repeatable or predictable, then that scope will simply not work for any kind of precision shooting. Some scopes will "stick" and not actually adjust even though you are clicking the hell out of them. Not good.

Have you considered a ranging reticle like mil dots etc? With a 100 yard zero you could reach out accurately to a pretty good distance without ever having to dial anything at all.

Any quality scope will not have a problem dialing for shots, but lesser ones may/probably will have some issue/s.

It is also notable that most "better" quality scopes will have a good level of warranty and customer service that could be lacking with other companies.

What scope are you looking at/ have?

On a tight budget the swfa SS or nikon buckmaster/prostaff will do quite well. The best thing i can suggest is to test whatever scope you decide to use. Look up box test etc and give it a try.

Thanks for the info. You had it right about the durability. It is a simmons prohunter and is a few years old. I would like to get a mil dot scope that also had the target turrets it is just not possible with my budget right now. I looked into the swfa scope and I like it with the exception of only being a 10x. I guess that's all you really need according to most, but I'm a little greedy and would like at least 14x. I looked into the box test and it sounds like it will ultimately decide if the scope can handle it. I have taught myself how to use all of the formulas for doping a scope and I'm excited to get started. I definitly plan to buy a new scope that is more appropriate, but if I can use what I already have for now it is that much more experience I can start building. Again thanks for the info!