• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Bass fishing, small ponds, big baits and bigger fish!

Jgunner

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 29, 2019
    Arizona
    Got back into fishing lately. Got bit hard following a guy on fb and decided its a great summer sport. Watching his videos made me rethink what i “knew” back in my tournament days of “finesse, finesse and more finesse!” and started throwing big baits around. Not buying $1,000 hand carved swim baits or even $200+ ones right now, but tried bigger baits than i used to throw. I have seen 12” bass try to eat 12” lures before, so figured why not.

so the fb video guy is sponsored by 6th sense and he kills it in Tx, but i am not in tx and the bass are generally smaller and less numerous in Az. But i grew up in Cali(never voted D) and fished many golf courses, rock quarries and small lakes 90% of the time and did well. Well i ordered some if the lures they sell online from 6th sense figuring they might work ok and were budget friendly. Could look more lifelike but i know bass and its not the look but the action that is important so i placed my order hoping for the best.

their flow glider 130 (swim bait/glide bait) slow sinker in bluegill caught my eye. I took my crankbait rod, put fresh 12# green p-line cxx and went to a lake i knew had bass in it and water was a lil clear so i could learn how to use it.

first cast, it hit the water and i had a 2# bass on. Neat, but hope its not a one and done. Nope, 3 rd cast another 2#. Ok, sweet. Had several follows by larger bass in the 3-5# range but inwas still learning how to use the rod with this bait. 15 minutes later i had another bass, and 15 after that another. I move to the side that gets fished hard and pull 2 more 1.5-2.5# out the same spot. Roll around the corner to cast back to where i just was from a new angle. The flow glider walks just under the surface about 1’-2’ and in clearer water you can watch it. I could see it flash here and there.

Well upon retrieval of this cast i watched a huge flash on my bait, i set the hook. Fish didnt budge. Then it starts pulling drag a bit and i know i have a good one one. it makes a jump and i realize i have a big fish on. It jumps again and one of the hooks pops free and the other luckily stuck into her face or it would have been over. I jump in the water as its a 3’ drop, not bouncing a big bass. I land her. Pictures taken and fish released.

This is a 3 acre pond, but it is FULL of life. Ton of turtles, small fish and huge bluegill.

ff to night time. I try out a new to me set of ponds at another community. First cast and caught a lil guy. Not a bad start. Catch a coule more littles and go try the other pond. First cast and wham another little 1.5#. Then another and another. Ok, these ponds only have dinks, still fun. Wrap around the back of the 1 acre pond and get a hit, this one didn’t move either upon hookset. Tears out drag and makes a jump. Sweet another big! Had to reach over 3’ of concrete to thumb her and pull the hooks. This one SWALLOWED it! Could barely get her unhooked but back into the drink with her. Retie my lure for good measure. Next cast WHAM a harder hit and also a tank. Big jumps and pulling line. Land her and she was even bigger! Biggest of the 3 by a lil. Released and wrapped out my night with 3 more dinks. Amazing fish that size can live in a small pond and find enough food to live. They were all healthy too.

never had such a good day of fishing in my 40 years, and i make my vacations around my fishing. All else is secondary. If i could only rip lips like that in tournaments i would be on the bassmaster tour!
    E0DAF749-717B-4952-8947-B7D26F74B160.jpeg
    65F8DACC-B29E-436E-9056-F1C46FB3F006.jpeg
    6936195B-95F6-4235-B6B3-55D532F6F0B6.jpeg

The small Rapalas and six pound test line has been a particularly successful combo for me. I don’t fish that often but my largest on this combo was a 5 pounder caught in Bussy Brake many years ago, but a couple of days ago I landed this 3-13. She was a battler, and lipping her with a mouth full of treble hooks was a touch and go situation.
    69139F3F-767D-49C7-9D59-70C225BDDC21.jpeg

The small Rapalas and six pound test line has been a particularly successful combo for me. I don’t fish that often but my largest on this combo was a 5 pounder caught in Bussy Brake many years ago, but a couple of days ago I landed this 3-13. She was a battler, and lipping her with a mouth full of treble hooks was a touch and go situation. View attachment 7650697
    Ha! I got hooked 3x last night. Not to the barb but bleeding pretty good. Thats a nice one! 6# line is super fun. I run that with my plastic worm setup, caught a few the night before on that.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick