• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bastard 50 BMG Surplus Ammo, What to do with it?

69rscamaro

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
Hi guys, wanting a little advice. I inherited some ammo a while back. Some of it included surplus sealed in the crate 50 BMG. I never paid much attention to it, I was content knowing it was there. After going to the Tulsa Arms show I found out some information about what I have. I have 300 rounds of surplus 50 BMG from 1961 Dominican Republic, Yellow Tip AP. Now after just an hour of Google searching I find that this stuff is basically toxic. The Dominicans let the stuff get exposed to extreme heat, cold and humidity and then tumbled the live rounds to shine them up before repackaging them. This caused the large grain gun powder to severely degrade, which means it burns much too hot for 50 bmg. This all causes an over pressure issue. There is NO WAY I am going to light one of these of in my Barret after learning of this. What the hell do I do with the ammo?

I can't sell it because I dont want some other guy to blow his face off.

I dont know what to do with it? I dont reload so breaking it down and reloading the components is questionable. I have heard the components are not all that great as is anyway.

I dont want to sell it as paper weights because someone might put it in a rifle.

Looking for some advice guys.

Reloading it seems to be the only logical answer, no need to waste any of it.

Sell it to someone for components if you don't reload, list basically what you said about it. Im sure someone will take it off your hands.

After the great flood here in TN local law enforcement put out a how-to guide of sorts. One item of interest that was addressed was ammunition that got submerged. Said to take the ammo to local PD for proper disposal as a lot of trash goes to an incenerator and we don't want ammo getting burned

Pull the bullets yourself, dump the powder and sell the brass and bullets.

If you have no intention of reloading it then I'd list it for sale as components EXACTLY as you have already described. Also add a huge red warning/disclosure to be redundant. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would want the brass and projectiles.

From what I understand, in order to reload, one would need to pull the projectile, dump powder, resize the projectile then reload it. I imagine it would be worth keeping the primer seated (not replace it).

I got 3-4 rounds of this stuff in trade and I can say with 100% confidence DO NOT FIRE IT IN YOUR RIFLE. I did. Didn't get hurt, but the case got stuck and I had to send it back to Bill at EDM Arms for removal and a checkup. Luckily my rifle went to Bill at EDM Arms and it was an amazing lesson in top-notch customer service. Also, after removal, Bill said no damage was done to my barrel, chamber, or rifle so I guess that's saying something for the whole setup, too!

Anyways, there are collectors everywhere that want one of each type of 50BMG round. I sent one round to a collector along with stern warnings of do not fire it period via PM, email, and written letter so I figure it's in Darwin's hands now. What you can't get rid of, I'd pull the bullets and sell them along with the brass. Just be sure to deprime them before shipping!

Can anyone see a reason not to use this method? Some kind of Kinetic puller would give me the willies. That thing would basically be a pipe bomb on the end of a hammer. The method below seems like a really safe way to do it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yWy0E_wLWoo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you have no intention of reloading it then I'd list it for sale as components EXACTLY as you have already described. Also add a huge red warning/disclosure to be redundant. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would want the brass and projectiles.

From what I understand, in order to reload, one would need to pull the projectile, dump powder, resize the projectile then reload it. I imagine it would be worth keeping the primer seated (not replace it).

That would be fooking stupid.
Some dumba$$ thinking he could save a few dollars would try to shoot it.
Then some bottom feeding PI lawyer would be only too happy to take the case.

This is definitely a case of caveat venditor.

What about the powder? Obviously it wouldn't be good for anything because it would be a total unknown. Combined with it being over 50 years old.

So I pull the projectiles, pour the powder into a container of some sort, de-prime the brass, and polish the brass.

Then I reload it with fresh primers, powder, and reuse the projectile?

What kind of container would be safer for storing the powder? I dont have any empty powder containers. I am sure I need something specific that doesn't conduct static electricity.

What about the powder? Obviously it wouldn't be good for anything because it would be a total unknown. Combined with it being over 50 years old.

So I pull the projectiles, pour the powder into a container of some sort, de-prime the brass, and polish the brass.

Then I reload it with fresh primers, powder, and reuse the projectile?

What kind of container would be safer for storing the powder? I dont have any empty powder containers. I am sure I need something specific that doesn't conduct static electricity.

Just burn the powder in small piles...small like the size of a heaping table spoon at a time...or take it to your local police department for proper disposal...keep it in a couple gallon milk jugs until you get it there

Sniper uncle, I just bought one of those!

I've been making key chains with a few shells since I started reloading last year. I made one with each of my 30.06 first kills---one bear, one buck. Then, my wife wanted one, so I made her one. Then, I made one with a 338LM shell that got too badly damaged in shipping to use---when I straightened it out, the rim got rolled a tiny bit(Sinclair gave me free shipping so, it was cheap). Then, I saw the beer openers, and had to make one. JaredJoplin on the Hide here was considering making some 50BMG ones for sale like one of his mates did---nice looking piece of kit.
So, not having any 50BMG shells, and not wanting to use any 338LM shells just yet, I converted a 30.06 Keychain that I had into a beer opener. I then bought some used 30.06 brass, and had a few 6MM Rem cases mixed in. These necked up easily---lots of lube in the neck and about four gentle presses to go all the way through---and I put .308 projos in and then made them into beer-opener/key rings. Big hit with my hunting pals---made their wives mad though, cause they didn't have them too....
Dremel tool, and a little patience, and they work very well. Trickiest part is drilling the hole for the key ring. Use a pilot hole about 5/64" and a 3/16" final---don't use any form of pilot point bit, just a standard hss bit with shallow angle on cutting surface. I call it a Tactical Beverage Entry Tool----got the name from someone here on the Hide

TBET.jpg