• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BAT actions vs Stiller actions

I've had both and still own the BAT. I would go with the BAT Tactical and not look back. The BAT runs smoother, and has an excellent T Slot extractor that is super strong and throws the brass close to you instead of flinging it way out to the right. The melonite finish on the BAT is great at keeping it slick and resisting corrosion, as well as allowing you to run the bolt dry with just grease on the lugs. Just like the Stiller it drops into any Rem 700 stock.

I currently own both and have shot many in the past. They both make a great product. With that said my VR-PIC would be the last to go if I ever had to liquidate.

so what do you like about the BAT. they seem solid as hell. I guess they are milled out of a solid piece of steel. Ive heard they are heavy though.

It's a little slicker and the integral rail and lug are sweet not to mention the octagonal shape:) It is a heavy duty action that you have to feel to believe

It's a little slicker and the integral rail and lug are sweet not to mention the octagonal shape:) It is a heavy duty action that you have to feel to believe

Which BAT action do you have?

I've had both and still own the BAT. I would go with the BAT Tactical and not look back. The BAT runs smoother, and has an excellent T Slot extractor that is super strong and throws the brass close to you instead of flinging it way out to the right. The melonite finish on the BAT is great at keeping it slick and resisting corrosion, as well as allowing you to run the bolt dry with just grease on the lugs. Just like the Stiller it drops into any Rem 700 stock.

I have a BAT tactical action on my 6.5CM. I have not had experience with stiller but it is as nice as anything else I have tried. The melonite is not bullet proof FYI. Have some pitting on the rear tang; consider cerakoting the outside if you get one.

The clearances on BAT actions are extremely tight. For a hunting or tactical rifle, Stiller might be a safer bet as their clearances are more loose. I have had both BAT and Stiller along with Defiance and Badger actions. My BAT model M was benchrest tight. I became so concerned with the tightness for field conditions that I sold it off. BAT is hard to beat for BR shooting though.

Last edited:
BAT HR and VR models have slightly more play in them than the rest. I spent quite a bit of time looking for information in regards to BAT in hunting/field conditions before my last build. I found no concrete evidence that HR/VR Bat's will have any more/less issues in the field than other high quality actions one might use (Surgeon, Stiller, etc). A majority of their other models are truly intended for benchrest, to be kept in immaculate condition, away from depris, and making tiny holes.

I have had more sand and dirt in my BAT than probably anyone. Had the bolt lubed up very wet and got blasted by rotor wash in south TX and it looked like someone had sprayed the bolt with glue and dropped it on the beach. Still work flawlessly. The BAT TAC is good to go in dirty conditions, as is the VRPIC AND HRPIC. The benchrest models such as the M and B are not suited for match shooting or hunting, for several reasons...

BAT actions vs Stiller actions

The BAT I played with at Woody's last week was slicker than my Ionbonded Badger M2013. I was impressed.

Edit- I should add, that was after playing in the rain and mud all day. It was nasty, my old school Remington trigger went down once.

Last edited:
The BAT I played with at Woody's last week was slicker than my Ionbonded Badger M2013. I was impressed.

Edit- I should add, that was after playing in the rain and mud all day. It was nasty, my old school Remington trigger went down once.

Dang, I would have liked to check out that bat at woodys too. I was really hoping to run across a new Vortex as well. Guess I need to be more social. Haha. I know all of my stillers are good to go. Is BAT worth the extra? I don't know but I'd like to see one and find out.

I have both, the Stiller Predator on a Hunting rig, and the BAT VR waiting on my Sentinal Stock to come in for my next 6.5x47 Lapua build. I have almost 500 rounds down range with my Stiller 300 WM and have had no issues what so ever, the biggest difference is the BAT VR has the integral Pic Rail & Lug and the Stillers are both Pinned, BAT has tighter tolerances but from my research will have no problem using it just like my hunting rig, and the last difference is the Stiller will be $400-$500 cheaper.
My Stiller from Robert Gradous shoots bug holes, I would probably would have gone Stiller again I just wanted to try something different.
You will not be disappointed in either.
It all comes down to personal preference.

Dang, I would have liked to check out that bat at woodys too. I was really hoping to run across a new Vortex as well. Guess I need to be more social. Haha. I know all of my stillers are good to go. Is BAT worth the extra? I don't know but I'd like to see one and find out.

I've always heard Bat had the equipment and expertise to hold significantly closer tolerance than most other action builders, but at that point you're definitely paying a premium for incremental gains.

I`ve owned used ....Both high quality actions...... remember you gotta compare apples to apples in the model price you pick......

I have a BAT in a 280ai hunting rig and a BAT melonited in a 6.5x47 tactical rig...among many other BATs.

I have never had an issue anywhere in the West with the non melonited BAT action. However, it's so tight (smooth and gorgeous) it doesn't have a psychological affect in the field.

Order the BAT melonited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about Kelbly?

I love my kelby, especially the mechanical ejector, no pressure on the case and it ejects cartridges all in a nice clean group next to your rifle. Stiller probably represents the best value over all of all the available custom receivers. Currently building a 338LM with a Stiller TAC 338 receiver with available 40 moa rail.
​​​​