• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

BAT HR vs. Stiller Tac 338

BeyondTransonic

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2019
Hoping someone can help me clear this debate up. I'm planning to build a 300 Norma Improved and have it narrowed down to these two actions. The BAT has a Remington LA footprint and I believe the Stiller is just a bit larger to accommodate the 338 Lapua "class" of cartridges. Would there be any factors that would make you choose one over the other, and why? Or will both of these actions handle the Norma just fine, and my choice boils down to personal preference?

I have the BAT HR. I am using for a 338 Allen Express. It is a work of art for sure, but if I hadn't gotten a very, very good deal on it, I would not have paid the extra $400 or so.

Stillers are fairly unimpressive IMO. The action feels gritty and "grabby", even when well broken in. Handled a few of them and they all feel the same.

Never handled a BAT, but they always get high praise. Only critique I've heard is that they have a tendency to gall (and almost any action will of mistreated), though I'm not sure how much prone to galling they are compared to most other actions.

Between the two, I would pick the Bat. I have a .300NM, and I didn't consider either of the actions you have narrowed it down to. I got a custom built Defiance Deviant action built to my specs, and finished polished raceways with a DLC finish. Very happy with that choice, not sure if I would change it out for anything else at this point. Why not a Defiance?

I have to grease my HR every single session. It is smooth. I'm not sure how much that matters for ELR.

I highly doubt it is more accurate though than either a Stiller or a Defiance.

I guess I don't see the cost justification in any brand new action costing $1700. I paid less than half that or I wouldn't have bought it.

Stillers are fairly unimpressive IMO. The action feels gritty and "grabby", even when well broken in. Handled a few of them and they all feel the same.

Never handled a BAT, but they always get high praise. Only critique I've heard is that they have a tendency to gall (and almost any action will of mistreated), though I'm not sure how much prone to galling they are compared to most other actions.

Between the two, I would pick the Bat. I have a .300NM, and I didn't consider either of the actions you have narrowed it down to. I got a custom built Defiance Deviant action built to my specs, and finished polished raceways with a DLC finish. Very happy with that choice, not sure if I would change it out for anything else at this point. Why not a Defiance?
The reason I was thinking BAT is because of the larger tenon (1 1/8x16 tpi vs 1 1/16x16 tpi for the Defiance). I actually do have a .338 Lapua built on a Defiance action and really like it, but I had the opportunity to handle a BAT EX action in person and it was the most impressive action I've ever felt. It wasn't really apples to apples though, the BAT was nitrided and my Defiance is not.

I’ve had a .338 built on a BAT tactical action from Wolf precision. Its a solid action and if I did it again would go the same route. For me it was a choice for me between a surgeon and BAT.
I have owned a Stiller also. I still own one, its a short action. It again is a very good action. For the price and features it has you really can’t beat a Stiller. They are solid but I can say it is not as refined as some of the newer actions on the market.

If I were to be picking an action to build on, I personally would go with a wolf precision BAT tactical action between those two, but you would be could not go wrong with a Stiller either. Just know that if you go BAT, to keep the lugs lubed.

I have 3 BAT and 1 Stiller action and they are great! The BATs are on my comp guns. Had a 300NM built recently and went with the Kelblys Atlas, great action and nearly half the cost of the BAT. Either will do well, just depends on budget.