• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Battery Power Chainsaw

I literally bought an MS 170 on sale for $150 two weeks ago.

I was going to get the trim saw, but it was $150 more for the same saw with the handle just balanced, and I figure that as little trimming as I do in a tree it wasn’t worth it.

Is that because the electric saws have more rotating mass? So the inertia of the mass will not let the fibers clog up the chain?
I honestly don’t know. Electric motors make a ton of torque. Could also be lack of a clutch mechanism. I’m speculating.

Is that because the electric saws have more rotating mass? So the inertia of the mass will not let the fibers clog up the chain?

it’s because electric motors produce nearly constant torque, whereas a 2 or four stroke engine produces power in pulses ( suck squeeze, bang blow and go. The BANG part is the only one actively adding torque and it occurs over a short period of the full cycle) with large periods with near zero torque(2stroke engines produce one bang per revolution, 4 strokes produce one bang every other revolution) that combined with a clutch allows the the fibers in the chaps to bind the gas saw chain and bar in just a few revolutions of the engine. Electrics will just bog down a little bit but still happily cut through chaps, meat, and into bone. That’s not to say that chaps won’t help at all with an electric, they still give you more time than blue jeans but only a little.

Reactions: tnichols
it’s because electric motors produce nearly constant torque, whereas a 2 or four stroke engine produces power in pulses ( suck squeeze, bang blow and go. The BANG part is the only one actively adding torque and it occurs over a short period of the full cycle) with large periods with near zero torque(2stroke engines produce one bang per revolution, 4 strokes produce one bang every other revolution) that combined with a clutch allows the the fibers in the chaps to bind the gas saw chain and bar in just a few revolutions of the engine. Electrics will just bog down a little bit but still happily cut through chaps, meat, and into bone. That’s not to say that chaps won’t help at all with an electric, they still give you more time than blue jeans but only a little.
Got it. I was thinking that the operator has already released the trigger but that’s a wrong assumption since saw accidents happen so fast. Saw pants versus a wide open constant torque electric saw....now I get it. Thanks.

For big stuff I have a Husky Rancher...for limbing and small shit, I have a Ryobi system that uses a 40V motor and has multiple attachments.
The same motor that drives the saw also drives a line cutter/weed whacker and a tiling head.
This 40V battery that fits all of my Ryobi gear including my leaf blower and electric lawnmower.
Their chainsaw uses a 10" bar and does a pretty good job on branches up to 4" in diameter.
We have 30+ trees on our half acre, including some 70'+ Douglas firs.
This smaller saw comes in very handy.

That was cutting 'Fir'. try the same test on some Red Oak, Live Oak, or Hickory, and see how that Dewalt holds up.
The local fire department came out to a crown fire in a large chestnut oak. This smoldering fire in a dead branch high up was throwing a dangerous amount of embers in a howling wind.
A 2.5" hose at 120 psi was not getting water to the fire due to the strong wind and height of the tree.
After none of their 3 gasoline chain saws would run properly, they felled the 36" +/- tree with the electric Dewalt saw on one battery.
Hard to believe but I witnessed it personally.
I cleaned up some of the mess the next day with a Stihl MS260, the predecessor of the MS261.
While this massive oak was rotten enough at the top to catch fire from embers of an adjacent, intentional brush burn, it was as solid at the trunk as oak gets.
These electric saws are obviously not the right tool for a professional logger but they are also no joke for shorter jobs around the house.
My next tool purchase will be a Milwaukee 2727-20 chainsaw for the numerous M18 batteries I already own and I will report my findings during the summer.
It is never going to replace the MS260, let alone my beloved 044 Magnum, but I would not be surprised if the two 012s I keep for limbing and trail clearing will be gone soon.

Last edited:
I will second this. I’m not suggesting I’m going to disown my 24” bar gas saws, or that when running nonstop the Larger, more Powerful saw isn’t “better.” But gas consumes gas, and you have to carry spare gas. And electric consumes batteries and you need more than 1. Hell, on 7 acres I usually carry both down in the wheelbarrow. And if I was managing hundreds With a truck or side by side, I’d probably just use a reliable gas if I was using it daily. Thing is, for damn near all of us, even those of us who saw weekly… we’re not using them daily. Hurricane drop a tree blocking your driveway? You can tell your wife over the phone how to use the 18” bar electric. Now, MY gal can use the gas, and likely yours too… but the majority of folks just don’t need a big gas saw anymore when you have viable 18” bar electric with 9ah at 60V. I usually reach for the electric unless I’m setting to use a chainsaw for the next several hours.

Everything has it's place. I run a Stihl 660 with a 25" bar as my primary saw and a 260 for smaller trees. It sounds like that fire department needs to find a new mechanic. Good thing the battery was charged on the Dewalt and it saved the day. When a Dewalt saw will go through a 36" tree a dozen times in a row with the same speed as my Stihl and on 1 battery... I'll be interested.

Attachments

• 20211108_163820.jpg
    20211108_163820.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The Dewalt chainsaw works great for cutting around the house. Also works great riding in the back of the SUV when up in the mountains and you need to clear the road to keep going. No gas can in the back and two batteries should handle anything that wont make you turn around. Was pleasantly surprised with how well ti worked and how quiet it is. Could be easy to forget you are actually handling a chainsaw.

When your battery saw runs out do you plug it into an electric tree?

You are missing the point, an electric or battery operated chainsaw can fill a huge niche for a lot of homeowners.

Since I retired I very seldom buy gasoline in bulk because I don't use it enough before it goes stale.

I do however keep two one quart bottles of high octane pre-mix on hand for emergencies.
This way I don't have to deal with Stabil and gas going bad.

Reactions: Long_Action
My brother cant physically handle a has saw anymore. He can use the battery one to get limbs out of the driveway and yard.

I've been impressed with the saw. Like has been said great to have on the tractor to get low hanging limbs out of the way. It wouldn't cause me to dump my 011s, 025, 440 and 60 but it has its place.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Got a big Stihl a medium Husquavarna and a dewalt
20v. Guess which one gets used the most. Need to sell the Husky and just use the Stihl when I got a big one to fell

You are missing the point, an electric or battery operated chainsaw can fill a huge niche for a lot of homeowners.

Since I retired I very seldom buy gasoline in bulk because I don't use it enough before it goes stale.

I do however keep two one quart bottles of high octane pre-mix on hand for emergencies.
This way I don't have to deal with Stabil and gas going bad.
Speaking of gas going bad. I have been using 100 low lead aviation fuel to make two stroke mix for over two decades with nothing but excellent results. It does not eat rubber and plastics like the Ethanol- laced crap and does not go stale for at least three years (as far as I have pushed it).
The only downsides are the need to re-adjust mixture once you switch to it and that the exhaust fumes are worse for your health due to the lead. That being said, I love the smell of 100LL or Jet A in the morning.

Reactions: tnichols
60V 14 inch Greenworks chainsaw, pole trimmer, snow blower, hedge trimmer, and string trimmer. I have three Stihl chainsaws.

I (or my wife) grab the Greenworks 60V all the time. It uses a shit ton of bar oil, but it is fairly light, and much more quiet for 20 inch or less trees. I used to heat with wood, but switch over to GeoThermal. The Stihls just gather dust now......

I never thought I would support battery driven outdoor equipment, but I'll be damned if I replace another (or rebuild) another carb........

I have the Milwaukee and it does great for what I need. I only every cut trees when they fall down. They usually aren’t big. Great thing is as long as the battery is charged it works. No worrying about a gummed up carb because I haven’t used it in a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: gigamortis
I have 3 versions of the Milwaukee cordless chainsaws. Every one is excellent for my intermittent use. I have the 16" M18, the M12 trim saw, and the pole saw attachment for the string trimmer. If you are concerned about a battery giving up before you are done cutting, get two batteries. Leave one on the charger while you are using the other one.

The biggest advantage to the electric is I don't have to fiddle with finicky starting issues with a gas saw that has gone unused for over a year. I don't run any ethanol blended gas and have always used fuel stabilizer for any carbureted equipment, but I still have experienced hard starting at times. The electric is ready when I am.

Sharpening a chain is not rocket science. You may not get pro-shop results, but a few minutes of practice will keep you cutting better than $7.00 at the shop.

I use mine more than I ever thought I would. I got it for little jobs around the house but since getting it I have yet to pull out the gas saw. Plus I don't mind grabbing it to make a couple cuts, instead of thinking about dicking with the gas saw and stinking like small engine all day, and then saying eff it and not doing the job at all. I've done 6 full size jack pines that were nearly a big around as the blade is long, cut into pieces as well and did it all on two batteries.

sunjoesaw.jpg

Never heard of that Sunjoe brand

Never heard of that Sunjoe brand
I got it because I have a snow joe (same company, just winter stuff) snowblower and they take the same batteries. It was on some clearance sale for $80 so I grabbed it, I got a rototiller too but haven't used yet.

You do what you do when you run out of any battery tool.
You put it on the charger and grab another battery.

This is the same conversation that’s been happening for years before with power tools and half the shit mentioned on this thread.

“Battery saw will never replace my corded skillsaw”
“Those battery nailers doesn’t replace my air hose”
“What do you do when you run out of battery?”
“My Jeep that made mostly in China is better than you mostly made in America tacoma even though I live in the suburbs and don’t even know what a locker is for”

Battery tools from legit brands is BETTER than most corded tools. It’s not a myth.

I have no idea about all the chainsaws, but I have a dewalt flexvolt, and with a larger chain and bar, and with a 9 ah battery, I don’t notice it be any worst then my old stihls 250.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I got dad a 40v kobalt since he has the blower and trimmer. It works good if you only have a few cuts. We use traditional 2 smokers also.

I have used the Stihl msa200 building a lake dock also. That was a impressive saw, not sure I'd drop $600+ on one though.

If it hasn't been said yet, saw chaps won't help with battery saws so be careful.

Speaking of gas going bad. I have been using 100 low lead aviation fuel to make two stroke mix for over two decades with nothing but excellent results. It does not eat rubber and plastics like the Ethanol- laced crap and does not go stale for at least three years (as far as I have pushed it).
The only downsides are the need to re-adjust mixture once you switch to it and that the exhaust fumes are worse for your health due to the lead. That being said, I love the smell of 100LL or Jet A in the morning.
But no Jet A in a saw please 😉

I got dad a 40v kobalt since he has the blower and trimmer. It works good if you only have a few cuts. We use traditional 2 smokers also.

I have used the Stihl msa200 building a lake dock also. That was a impressive saw, not sure I'd drop $600+ on one though.

If it hasn't been said yet, saw chaps won't help with battery saws so be careful.
It has, but it’s a great refresher. 👍🏻

Reactions: 346ci
Good to have a couple of battery saws for backup for when the lights go out in the country and fuel is all but non-existent. If you have some solar and batteries you can still heat your home with your wood stove.

going to beat the hell out of hand tools.

Gas tools are gone for me. All electric - lawnmower, snow blower, weed whipper, chainsaw, and an inverter that will power my whole house overnight on the same batteries. More power, less noise, and can be recharged via solar. Ego stuff is all I run now for yard stuff/tools.

I was absolutely shocked how many times I can cut my lawn on 1 battery fully charged. The snow blower does the whole neighborhood on one charge. The chainsaw gets lent out to trusted neighbors after storms because it's quiet *and* its more powerful than comparable gas powered stuff for when you need to get tree limbs off the roof at 1 am in the dark. Did I mention the bright LED head lights on this stuff?

VooDoo

LOL I loved the smell of JetA on the morning I was going home when I worked on offshore drilling rigs. Hated it on the morning I was going back to work.
To keep this post on subject I currently have 1 chainsaw, a Husqvarna 365 and love it. But I'm wanting the Milwaukee polesaw and trimmer combo badly. Using the 365 at heights, especially on a ladder, is unsavory at best.

I grab another battery from the garage?

If you stay with good stuff, the batteries don't suck. A 12.0 AH Milwaukee will do amazing things. A Ryobi will need 4-6 batteries to do the same work.