• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Battle Rifle Optic Choice??? GO...

With a $400 budget, I would echo some others here who said Aimpoint PRO. I got one for $387 online a couple of months ago. I haven't got to use it as much as I'd like yet, but I have been impressed with what I have seen with it so far and it came highly recommended to me by friends. (Plus, that price includes the mount.)

Not for nothing, but as the owner of an EXPS2, I have to say, I'll never get another carbine optic that is over 5oz complete. There is a NOTICABLE difference between my carbine with the EOTech on it and without. I'm probably going to sell it to replace with a H1/T1. The PRO weighs pretty much the same as the EOTech.

I would expect a "battle rifle" to have different weights than carbines, but really, I just can't see ever going over 5oz for a non-magnified ever again.

None of them are perfect.

The new eotechs are much better than the old ones. You rarely hear of battery compartment failures on new optics. The only hint that's still an issue is battery life.

Aimpoints have great battery life but the dot looks like a slash mark. Aimpoint says it's only if you have an astigmatism. I don't have that condition and neither do dozens of others shooters that I know that also experience it. I will also say I've had two PRO's shit the bed on me in a hurry and aimpoints customer service SUCKS.

1-4/6/8x optics are great but they are much heavier than a red dot or ACOG and most aren't a true 1x which isn't too bad to deal with. If you don't mind the weight and bulk this is often the way to go possibly with a 45 degree red dot or irons for close stuff.

ACOG's are compact and relatively lightweight like red dots. They use no batteries and run off fiber optic for day and tritium at night. They can be pretty fast up close but aren't as fast as a red dot. The BAC works well of you train with it. They can experience pretty bad parallax within 30 yards but unless you're trying to knock the hairs off a gnats ass it's a non issue.

I use them all and like them. If I had to rank them in order of preference I'd say variable 1-4/6/8x > ACOG > Eotech > Aimpoint. They are all great optics and you should try them all before deciding what you want. Any of them can have problems and all of them have their pros and cons.

if thats your budget aimpoint pro is the best choice
i like a used leupold 1.5-5 also
or save up and get a t-1

i have an acog 1.5 its awesome , but spendy (dont much care for the 4x one)

I say Aimpoint T1 and if you cannot afford that, the Aimpoint PRO.

I saw this tv show once and they had EoTechs on their barretts so FTW!!!! I love how people have internet battles on things that have spent more time in the safe then anywhere else....... 17O NMR spectroscopic data suggests that protonation of the mixture of isomers within the battery compartment of the EoTech contributes to the atmospheric discombobulation of the nano molecules whereas dissipates live surge lithium energy from my FLESHLIGHT during full stroke.

OP,
Have you looked at the Leatherwood CMR? Bought one about a year ago to throw on my OBR heavy for some "carbine class" type training. It had decent glass (for the price), I liked how everything was laid out, and it had an illuminated reticle. I'm sad to say that my OBR did eventually destroy it, but I believe that mine was an aberration and not indicative of the quality of the optic. SWFA's warranty covered it and the only reason I never got a replacement (kept the credit from SWFA), was because my USO was going back on my OBR.

I saw this tv show once and they had EoTechs on their barretts so FTW!!!!
Not speaking for whatever show you saw that on, but sometimes Barretts are used to cover vehicular avenues of approach at close range in an urban environment, and a magnified optic isn't the right choice for it. A .50 cal is useful for a lot more than reaching out to touch.

Not speaking for whatever show you saw that on, but sometimes Barretts are used to cover vehicular avenues of approach at close range in an urban environment, and a magnified optic isn't the right choice for it. A .50 cal is useful for a lot more than reaching out to touch.

I know, I was being sarcastic about the Eotechs that everyone is fighting over on this thread. As far as the .50 being useful for things other then the occasional LR shot, it served me well mounted on my UH1. I prefer the GAU 17 when it worked.......

tell me what y'all think of this.....It's a 1-5x but offers an etched glass reticle that resembles an eotech, but has the option of zoom and red illumination. I think it would be perfect for close in and some distance shooting.....looks like the perfect patrol rifle optic.....MHO

Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 30mm Riflescope

Attachments

• vx3.jpg
    vx3.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 19
  • VX3_1_5-5x20_IR_web-530x458.jpg
    VX3_1_5-5x20_IR_web-530x458.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 15
I will have my AR battle rifle in a couple weeks after it is completed and am begining the hunt for a good optic. My budget is around $400. Thanks in advance for the input.

OP what are you using this battle rifle for? If your just going to shoot and mess around then I am sure you have read through and noticed there are alot of options out there and each individual is going to have their favorites.
If your going to trust your life to a weapon a couple things I think you should consider. The internet and forums is a tough place to get advice, you never know who is on the other end. Just in this thread alone there is some questionable advice going around but theres also some good stuff too. I would take a class with a reputable trainer and pick his brain, then Id find some guys who use their guns for work or in life threatening scenarios and ask them. Your probably going to get the same variable in recommendations but they beat up their gear more than the guy who collects or shoots on the range. Guys that go to war with their gear are going to be a great resource because the conditions they use their gear in are harsh. Also to your budget, you can get great optics that have been mentioned here for that price range but dont rule out something thats maybe a 100-300 more, especially if your life depends on it. Just wait alittle longer and save. Learn and know how to use irons in that time frame, assuming you havent been trained. I use a aimpoint at work simply for the durability and battery life, the eotechs have a easier reticle to pick up, i personally have not had reliability issues with a eotech but I have heard issues with the batteries already mentioned on this thread. The aimpoint is always on, and if the dot is hard to pick i crank up the red dot and always have a spare battery on hand, along with BUIS. My aimpoint sits in a car that heats up to 100+ degrees and stays on all the time. pretty impressive for me. The main thing once again, is that i train with this optic regularly, so with enough training most quality optics are going to be good to go. Good luck with your choices. Also a AR is a damn fine choice for home defense IMO, IF thats what you train with. Good luck .

If I'm going to shoot more than 75-100 yards, I want a magnified optic. I consider red dots for CQB and shotguns only. Your enemy isn't going to be a silhouette standing in a field- there might only be a small target exposed behind cover, camouflaged. For that you want magnification, even for a relatively close shot. Variable power, like a 2-8x, or a 1.5-6X is my choice for a battle rifle.

I went out and got an EXPS3 when I moved out of Nazi Germany... I mean NYC. Then I realized a $600 holosight is overkill for paper and steel. Frankly I'm considering downgrading to a Vortex Sparc on my AR. If you don't plan on needing to fend for your life, just get a Sparc, paint a racing stripe on it, and be done with it.

Valdada Ior has several good offerings.... I have their pit bull 1:4, their 1.5-8x26, and qrts 3x25 but not in this price range... Had an effect with no problems..

Last edited:
Well if we are talking about real battle rifles in extreme conditions, I don't what glass, I don't want Red Dots, I do want something that wont fail and don't use batteries.

Irons work in the jungle and they work in the extreme sub-zero temps of the arctic, I've use them in both extremes and in between. Never had irons fail me. Depending on the shooter they are good for across the room and to 600 yards or better.

I know they aren't tacti-cool but they work.

01.jpg

Camp.jpg