• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

battle rifle trigger pull ??

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
what do typical ar15's and other such battle rifle triggers weight in at ?

i know a ptr91 runs around 9 lbs, i feel that is just way to much. I ask because the more and more i pull my usc's trigger the less and less i like it, and would like to find a lighter spring for it, i think the pull is close to 6-7 lbs and a 4 or 5 lb pull i think would be allot better but would like those with more trigger time to chime in.

oh, I am not looking for sniper style trigger just something that is more smooth i guess.

Re: battle rifle trigger pull ??

Battle rifle triggers in AR15's are vastly different in pull and design than match triggers. A gunsmith can reduce the pull a little bit by judicious polishing, but they have to be careful because if they go too far, they go past the hardened zone on the trigger and sear, then the pull just won't last. The "battle rifle" triggers are the result of hard steel designed to last a long time, stiff springs designed to ignite tough primers. Altering these design plans is what makes easier trigger pull, but at a cost. Just like prescription drugs, there is always a side effect.

With triggers the side effects can be reliability, resistance to dirt, inability to ignite really tough primers reliably, worn parts that allow the hammer to follow the bolt carrier forward.

That said though, I have had great luck with match triggers in AR's...but I clean my rifles, and try to avoid dirt, sand, and try hard to avoid allowing the junk that usually seems to get into the rifles in battle zones, or in harsh conditions.

Decent match triggers can go down to a couple of pounds and be quite reliable. But I sure wouldn't want them in a rifle that my life depended on, in an environment that precluded frequent maintainance. In life and death conditions, I would prefer a 100% reliable trigger over one with a nice easy pull.

Lots of trigger time and training can help over come much of the problem with the bad trigger. You can get used to much of it with practice and dedication. Sure, you can shoot groups a bit smaller with a match trigger, but the rifle will still be plenty accurate enough with a "battle trigger" in it. It just depends on what you need the rifle for. I have rifles with match triggers, and rifles with battle triggers for just that reason.

+1 on what Unknown said. I no longer have the stock triggers in my XM-15 or AR-10, but the trigger pull on my work Colt AR-15 is much heavier and rougher than the JARD's in my personal guns. A 6-7 pound pull in a stock battle rifle sounds fine. Smoother would be preferable to being too light and unreliable. You might want to find a smith that's familiar with those H&K triggers and can work on it for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on what Unknown said. I no longer have the stock triggers in my XM-15 or AR-10, but the trigger pull on my work Colt AR-15 is much heavier and rougher than the JARD's in my personal guns. A 6-7 pound pull in a stock battle rifle sounds fine. Smoother would be preferable to being too light and unreliable. You might want to find a smith that's familiar with those H&K triggers and can work on it for you. </div></div>

now thats a fine idea how ever most of the trigger parts in the usc are plastic... so it makes it hard to smooth things up, i have kicked that idea around already

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Battle rifle triggers in AR15's are vastly different in pull and design than match triggers. A gunsmith can reduce the pull a little bit by judicious polishing, but they have to be careful because if they go too far, they go past the hardened zone on the trigger and sear, then the pull just won't last. The "battle rifle" triggers are the result of hard steel designed to last a long time, stiff springs designed to ignite tough primers. Altering these design plans is what makes easier trigger pull, but at a cost. Just like prescription drugs, there is always a side effect.

With triggers the side effects can be reliability, resistance to dirt, inability to ignite really tough primers reliably, worn parts that allow the hammer to follow the bolt carrier forward.

That said though, I have had great luck with match triggers in AR's...but I clean my rifles, and try to avoid dirt, sand, and try hard to avoid allowing the junk that usually seems to get into the rifles in battle zones, or in harsh conditions.

Decent match triggers can go down to a couple of pounds and be quite reliable. But I sure wouldn't want them in a rifle that my life depended on, in an environment that precluded frequent maintainance. In life and death conditions, I would prefer a 100% reliable trigger over one with a nice easy pull.

Lots of trigger time and training can help over come much of the problem with the bad trigger. You can get used to much of it with practice and dedication. Sure, you can shoot groups a bit smaller with a match trigger, but the rifle will still be plenty accurate enough with a "battle trigger" in it. It just depends on what you need the rifle for. I have rifles with match triggers, and rifles with battle triggers for just that reason. </div></div>

i read this two times... and iam feeling better about the trigger pull already lol

He's using an H&K USC, not an AR. Not much aftermarket stuff for the USC.

I run only mil-spec trigger assemblies in my training and combat/CQB carbines. The reliability being the primary factor there.
For SPRs, Competition/3-Gun, or hunting rifles, you're best off investing in a better trigger. The mil-spec trigger really does not lend itself to accuracy.

Just my $0.02.

NRA Highpower rules require a 4 1/2lb minimum trigger weight for service rifles. For a lot of reasons, this is not a bad requirement.

LWRC tweaked the geometry of the mil-spec trigger and gave it a nickel coating for those that are required to use mil-spec but wanted something smoother. While I have only limited experience with them a number of people have commented that it is the best single stage trigger available. Don't know the pull weight but can find out if anyone is interested.

I'm not sure that any two-stage trigger could be considered a "battle rifle" trigger (as opposed to "precision rifle"). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Both the M14 and the M1 Garand have two stage triggers and are definately battle rifles.

I shoot geisselle 2 stage triggers. I dislike single stage, especially match triggers for cqb. I like the slack in a 2 stage. It allows some play when running and gunning, but still gives you match quality when needed. I have had single stage match triggers go cyclic on me when moving fast and engaging fast. It was not a trigger malfunction, but a product of a light trigger + movement + recoil = cyclic. I'm sure many will say it is a product of training (or lack there of) that caused this. Maybe, but I havn't had that problem with a 2 stage. I just do what works. I enjoy the match quality of the 2 stage especially for engaging movers at 300-400 meters or 10-12" plates at the same range.

Badshot & JJ, I was referring to AR, non-match triggers. I don't disagree with any of your comments.

Look for Bill at triggerwork.net