• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Bay Area California shooters

Thediscgolfkid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Benicia, CA
Hey folks, anyone from the Bay Area into bolt guns/long range shooting? Would be fun to have a team of precision shooters. I go up to the sac valley shooting center and shoot with NCPPRC, I'm making it my monthly thing to join in their practice and match shoots.

Hope to get some replies!

Travis

I'm in San Pablo. I shot one of their matches a while back, pretty cool I must say. Haven't shot anything since due to moving and trying to get a bolt action. I shot the match using an LMT .308 and found out no one likes being smacked with hot flying brass lol! I just sold the gasser and bought a GAP build on a surgeon action. Maybe sometime we can meet up since the precession game is all new to me and would appreciate the tips and tricks.

Sounds fun dude! Actually last week I saw a couple guys using .308 gassers, they just go all the way to the right positions, so their brass flies away from everyone. There's a match on the 23'rd of this month up at sac valley, 300, 500 and 600 yard, it'll be 51 rounds total.

Send me a message if you'd like to go shoot sometime dude!

Hmm that's weird, I was placed on the left. I'm assuming I was placed there wince Rob the RO was helping me with the course of fire.

I would love to make it out to that comp but I'm in the process of getting all my parts in for the new rifle. Rings, bipod etc etc. shoot I don't pick up my rifle until the 19th. 10 day wait is killing me!!!

Going to start reloading once i get my bench in. Hopefully with in the week.

I can't stand this freakin 10 day wait s#\+.

I reload for .308, .223 and .45 (DON'T get a progressive press yet! I got mine for .45, and I've used it maybe 4 times... Makes around 600-900 rounds an hour, so an hour of reloading goes far).

Are you wanting to get into .308? I just found a beautifully accurate load for my 20" rem 700 sps tac

Congrats on second place in the match overall, Travis. Looks like you had a pretty good day on Sunday.

Im in Fairfield. Would love to get up to NCPPRC sometime soon. Right now its difficulty finding ammo, as I do not have a reloading setup.

Haha you woulda kicked my ass though Todd!

Usafabrad, most of us don't use factory ammo, it's not as accurate as hand loading. Next Saturday is the ncpprc practice if you'd like to come! It's a ton of fun, guaranteed to get you hooked. All you really need is about 5 rounds for each yardage (200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 800, 900, 1k), so 40 rounds total. Yes I know they skip 100 and 700 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah.

You coming to the match on Sunday?

Last edited:
Im located right here in the Folsom / Sac area and know a few people that head over there to shoot. I still haven't checked this place out, but it sounds like a great range, good people, instructors, courses, clubs, etc... I may have to meet up with someone and finally check this place out...

Jr

Bay Area California shooters

I'm in Rancho Cordova and shoot at Sac Valley. It's a great range. I'd love to start attending the NCPPRC practices, but I work weekends, so it's tough. I am taking the Long Range Clinic they are putting on in a couple weeks, though.

Oh, and I'm also not a reloader right now. I know I should be, but it's just not something I'm ready to jump into right now. When I feel like I'm being held back by the accuracy of factory ammo, then I'll start looking at reloading. That day is not here yet.

Last edited:
@ Todd: I plan on doing the Saturday practice, and I MIGHT do the Sunday match, but it's not 100% yet :p
[MENTION=23307]DBoz[/MENTION]: you can easily get into reloading for under $300, and if you're getting 1 moa or above in your rifle, you can probably cut it in half with hand loading ;)

[MENTION=23307]DBoz[/MENTION]: you can easily get into reloading for under $300, and if you're getting 1 moa or above in your rifle, you can probably cut it in half with hand loading ;)

I'm sure I will eventually give in and start reloading, but right now, I'm shooting near .5 MOA with FGMM, so I'm happy for the time being.

Very nice! 175gr or 168? I used to use fgmm, but now I just use the brass. I've saved all the brass from shooting my fgmm. It's just so freakin expensive to shoot fgmm, $25-30 for 20 rnds? Heck no

That is with 168. I finally managed to find some 175 to try out. Gonna try to get to the range this week.

Okay cool. I started with 168gr, but then moved to 175 because the 168 is subsonic by the time it reaches about 900-1000 yards

I'm in Rancho Cordova and shoot at Sac Valley. It's a great range. I'd love to start attending the NCPPRC practices, but I work weekends, so it's tough. I am taking the Long Range Clinic they are putting on in a couple weeks, though.

Oh, and I'm also not a reloader right now. I know I should be, but it's just not something I'm ready to jump into right now. When I feel like I'm being held back by the accuracy of factory ammo, then I'll start looking at reloading. That day is not here yet.

Im considering getting into reloading when I cross that road, but want to focus on LR fundamentals first. I'll have to get out to this range and see what it's all about.

Any of you guys want to go to the practice on Saturday? It's incredibly fun. You'll get some wind practice in (in my opinion, the most valuable shooting knowledge is reading wind)

Okay cool. I started with 168gr, but then moved to 175 because the 168 is subsonic by the time it reaches about 900-1000 yards

Yeah. The only reason I got the 168 is because it was all I could find at the time. I have since picked up a couple hundred rounds of 175 and I also have 500 rounds of M118LR, but my rifle doesn't seem to like that stuff. Haven't shot the FGMM 175 yet, but I'm expecting they will perform as well as the 168. Planning on going to the range on Wednesday to find out.

@ Todd: I plan on doing the Saturday practice, and I MIGHT do the Sunday match, but it's not 100% yet :p

For Sunday, we should see if we can get lane assignments next to each other, so we can give each other crap about wind calls - good or bad - during the match.

[MENTION=23307]DBoz[/MENTION]: sweeeet. Was the m118lr cheaper than the fgmm?
[MENTION=90627]todd[/MENTION]: heck yeah hahaa. You're gonna kick my ass though! LOL

[MENTION=23307]DBoz[/MENTION]: sweeeet. Was the m118lr cheaper than the fgmm?

Yes, slightly. It came out to about $1.30/round vs. $1.50/round for the FGMM. It doesn't group as well as the Federal, though. It is Lake City, but was bulk ammo, so I'm thinking it was probably factory seconds and not true M118LR.

I always figured they would be almost identical as fgmm, that's weird. Scary that our snipers are limited to that stuff! What length barrel are you using?

Awesome rifle, awesome equipment. I use a stock Remington 700 sps tactical (20" also) with a timney trigger also. Shoots sub MOA, so I have no reason to get a custom barrel! :)

Where did you pick that up at? I want another, with a threaded 5R barrel (mine isn't 5r)

I used to shoot down at Three Points in Tucson, but that was over a year ago now. Been saving brass for the day when I finally pull the trigger and get a reloading setup going, but I tend to dream a bit bigger than my wallet can handle.

Good man. I saved up a few hundred .308 brass too, before I started reloading. I only use FGMM cases btw

still need to go through and sort it all. It's a mix of FGMM, LC FGMM Annealed, Hornady, HSM, even a few Lapua in there from some factory ASYM ammo.

Awesome rifle, awesome equipment. I use a stock Remington 700 sps tactical (20" also) with a timney trigger also. Shoots sub MOA, so I have no reason to get a custom barrel! :)

Where did you pick that up at? I want another, with a threaded 5R barrel (mine isn't 5r)

Thanks. I put a lot of thought into it. I picked up the rifle at a local shop, Sacramento Black Rifle. Got lucky that they had one when I was looking.

I'm planning on going to Sac Valley this Saturday morning to work up for the match in two weeks, if anyone would care to join me.