• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bayou Rifles- Should I join?

robdes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Houston, Texas
I know this isn't the right place for this, but I figure that more people will see it here.

I'm thinking about going to the orientation next weekend- should I do it? It seems like there are a lot of somewhat unnecessary regs- no class 3 weapons, no .338lm or larger calibers, etc. Also, it wasn't exactly clear how I was supposed to prove up my ability to not shoot over the berm at 1000.

How busy is the 1000 yd range? Is it usually open? Are steel targets allowed?

thanks.

Re: Bayou Rifles- Should I join?

This is a question you have to answer for yourself. I went to the orientation and did not see the point of paying annual membership dues for a place that I could not take my big bores and that I would have to apply for an exemption to use my suppressed firearms. If I am going to pay someone dues to use a range then I am going to be able to shoot any of my firearms there.

My point is that Bayou Rifles did not suit my needs. However it might suit yours. You'll just have to answer that question for yourself.

Longshot- thanks for the reply. My only thought in joining is to have access to the 1000yrd range. Do you know somewhere else that I can shoot that far?

Bayou is the only publicly available 1000 yard range I know of in the Houston area. American Shooting Centers goes out to 600 but I don't use them either due to the NFA restrictions they impose.

Thanks Longshot- you can ignore the pm

That's what I figured. There is a big difference between 600 and 1000, though. I'll probably check it out.

i was also thinking about joining bayou rifles, so i can learn to shoot extended distance...american shooting centers is right out my back door, and i use their 600 yard range regularly. post op what you find...also i am always looking for shooting partners. pm me

I am a Bayou Rifles Member and I really enjoy the club. I also shoot High Power XTC so the club really benefits me.

On a side note. Bayou Rifles starting this year is putting up a locked gate to close the 600-1000yd range due to vandalism. To gain access to those firing lines, you have to be a classified NRA High Power shooter at each of those firing points. For example, to shoot at 600yds you either have to be classified for Across the Course or Mid Range. 8,9, and 1000yds you have to have a classification in Long Range. I only shot XTC so I cannot use the Long Range firing lines.

Hope to see you out there!

Jason

I'm also a (new) member of Bayou. It is a fine range, and I rarely share the line with more than one other shooter (often I'm alone). I like that. But they have tons of silly little rules, most of which were mentioned above. Also, as of this year, you aren't allowed to open carry a pistol on the range. CCH carry only.

I don't yet have a rifle that will let me go out to 600-1000, but I will soon. I'm more than a little bothered that I have to jump through the hoops to get NRA certified.

I don't know for certain, but I heard there's another club in Pearland that has a long range without all the silly rules.

Been a members for a couple of years. You can have class 3 stuff there, just no machine guns, funny as no where in the rules posted it says you can't rapid fire. I shoot my suppressors and SBR there all the time. The caliber limitations are pretty stupid IMO, but I also understand their point too. I could only imagine some yahoo getting his brand new Barrett 50 and trying to shoot at the 1k yard line and not hitting anything. Well the bullet has to land somewhere right? There are quiet a few new developments around the range... Now if they would have some kind of approval system to let members shoot bigger calibers, I would be all up for that. From my understanding, it's the money from the high power guys and XTC guys that help keep and maintain the long ranges, so us regular members have to abide by their rules. I would really like them to approve of steel. They wouldn't even have to supply the steel, just let us shoot them out there.

Having said all that, I will continue to be a member since it's 10 minutes away from my house. It's the only 1k range in the Houston area. There aren't too many yahoos and wannabe gangbangers there. No Nazi range officers (for the most part) there to babysit you. There aren't too many people at the range shooting with you. The weekdays it's pretty much empty. I have been the only shooter at the range many times on the weekdays. The weekend is a little busy in the morning and early afternoon, matches are usually held early Sunday morning. Usually in the late afternoon, there isn't anyone there. All the old folks went home for their afternoon nap. lol

Easy on us old folks who take an afternoon nap!

I like Bayou Rifles, and completely understand their take on limiting access to the 600 and 1000 yard line. Simply put, they don't want people that bought a "sniper rifle", topped with a tactical "Counter Sniper" scope, shooting "extreme shock SNIPER ammunition" (of which they have no idea as to the ballistics, etc...), to show up at the longer distances and hurt themselves or someone else. In other words, it keeps the mall ninjas away, and that's fine by me.

To shoot at 600+, if you are not holding an NRA long range certification, you have to qualify with the range officer. This means demonstrating that you know what you are doing with your equipment, and where the bullet is going to end up. I spoke with the gentleman in charge of the new certification, and I am quite confident that their line of thinking makes plenty of sense.

Bayou is a great place, but could be better if they would allow steel at longer ranges. I have been in contact with the directors about shooting steel, and they asked that a proposal be supplied for board review. They are open to the idea, but I think that it has to be a gradual introduction.

Best,
Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hawkeye_esq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know for certain, but I heard there's another club in Pearland that has a long range without all the silly rules. </div></div>

That's PSC (Pearland Shooting Center). I think it's actually in Friendswood. But their longest range is 300yds, I think.

I kicked around this very question a few months back. I was actually quite happy to find a 1000 yard range in the Houston area until I read the restrictions on the rifle types. :| Talk about getting crushed . . . lol

That is the sole reason I am not a member there. No .338, Chey-Tac or 50 bmg allowed. The very guns that excel at long distance shooting are forbidden on the range. . . but, their range, their rules I suppose.

If they changed those restrictions, I ( and I'm guessing many others ) would be members within the week. Hell, I would be happy to go through some sort of qualification to shoot the big guns at long range. I think the backstops aren't quite beefy enough for the big guns though. Not sure.

ASC will get you out to 600 yards once you show them you know what you're doing. I've heard they are somewhat silly about NFA gear, but have been told they allow .50bmg. Cannot verify it personally yet as it's a long drive to get there for me, but plan on giving it a shot in the near future.

PSC will get you to 300 yards, but restrictions on anything greater than 5000 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. ( .338 barely squeaks in, but the .50 is completely out of the question ) The 300 yd range is closed during competition shoots ( some weekends ) so plan accordingly. The benchrest range goes to 200yds and is normally open when the primary range isn't. PSC is a private club and NRA membership is a requirement to join. Orientation is also required for membership. Range is open 365 days year as long as you adhere to the shooting hours.

PSC is a good range during the summer months when rain is sparse and soaked up by the ground quickly. This time of year I won't go if it has rained within the week as various parts of the range will be a mud pit. TIP: Bring an extra pair of shoes and a bag you can throw the ones you actually wear to the range into when you're done. TIP # 2: Don't drive your wife's vehicle to the range. ( Unless you run it through a car wash afterwards )

I shoot at ASC pretty often. They allow SBRs, but not suppressors or full auto. They do allow 50bmg from 300yrds on out.

I will attend the orientation at BR this weekend and I'll update this afterwards with my impressions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nehumanus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they changed those restrictions, I ( and I'm guessing many others ) would be members within the week. Hell, I would be happy to go through some sort of qualification to shoot the big guns at long range. I think the backstops aren't quite beefy enough for the big guns though. Not sure. </div></div>

The reason for the limit on caliber is because we don't have enough overrun behind the berm if someone sails a .50cal or any other extremely high BC bullet. We have several housing communities behind the range and I'm sure it would not be good to turn their roofs into Swiss cheese.

So if you want to buy up all those homes and own all that land, I am sure the club can accommodate you with lager rifles.

Bayou Rifles is a good range. I enjoy shooting there. Like most others, I am not a fan of the no large bore rule or the no steel rule. With that said, I have meet some great people out there that are very knowledgeable about shooting. It seems that you get the serious shooters out there. The lines are rarely crowded, in fact I have never had to wait or even be close to someone to shoot, except when shooting matches, but even that was not bad. The new restrictions on the 600 and 1000 yd ranges are a pain, but if you shoot a match or qualify at those ranges, you are good to go. For me I wanted a place to shoot longer distances and working on my long range skills and Bayou fits that criteria.

I am also a member at PSC. It is a quality range as well, but as another poster commented, it only goes out to 300yds. I typically do load development over there and then move out to longer ranges at Bayou. If you like to shoot prone, there ain't much of that going on at PSC, just mostly off the bench.

why dont they allow suppressors at these ranges? if you have a stamp, what does it matter? i can understand why on full auto. some people cant keep muzzle down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Evilaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason for the limit on caliber is because we don't have enough overrun behind the berm if someone sails a .50cal or any other extremely high BC bullet. We have several housing communities behind the range and I'm sure it would not be good to turn their roofs into Swiss cheese.

So if you want to buy up all those homes and own all that land, I am sure the club can accommodate you with <span style="font-weight: bold">lager </span>rifles. </div></div>

I don't think alcoholic beverages are allowed at the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why dont they allow suppressors at these ranges? if you have a stamp, what does it matter? i can understand why on full auto. some people cant keep muzzle down.</div></div>

They told me it was because the wanted to be able to hear when people were shooting and they thought it would be hard to ban just 22 suppressors or suppressors used with subsonic ammo.