• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship BBC interview most lethal American sniper.

Re: BBC interview most lethal American sniper.

Anyone bother to tell the BBC that a SEAL is a Sailor not a Soldier?
wink.gif

Isn't a SEAL a Soldier-Sailor, and this one a tinker as well?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mac37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Support him. Buy His book.
Amazon Link </div></div>

I did. It should be here tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barfly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mac37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Support him. Buy His book.
Amazon Link </div></div>

I did. It should be here tomorrow. </div></div>

I also just bought it. It's one way we can support the men and women who served on our behalf in Iraq.

Jim G

I'm a little over half way through the book, have been enjoying it very much.

I understand that the book was written for non-shooters, and it was a fun read, but when compared to a book like <span style="text-decoration: underline">Lone Survivor</span> or <span style="text-decoration: underline">Trigger Men</span> I would have liked to see more detail.
For example:
More detail about the shots he took (p142, p150. p166, p226);
More detail about why he wanted to leave the Navy (pp90-91);
More detail about how he 'fixed the gang problem' (p112);
More detail about sniper school (pp96-97);
More detail about the longest shot (p179).

I just ordered it and Trigger Men. Love Survivor was a great read as well.

While I would have liked more detail on the shots as well, I appreciate how he put more emphasis on the effects his service had on his relationships and his home life.

Great guy, good book.

Parker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasClassIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I would have liked more detail on the shots as well, I appreciate how he put more emphasis on the effects his service had on his relationships and his home life.</div></div>Agreed: I liked what Taya had to say. She appears to be a loyal friend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand that the book was written for non-shooters, and it was a fun read, but when compared to a book like <span style="text-decoration: underline">Lone Survivor</span> or <span style="text-decoration: underline">Trigger Men</span> I would have liked to see more detail.
For example:
More detail about the shots he took (p142, p150. p166, p226);
More detail about why he wanted to leave the Navy (pp90-91);
More detail about how he 'fixed the gang problem' (p112);
More detail about sniper school (pp96-97);
More detail about the longest shot (p179).
</div></div>

I completely agree, however I do understand why we weren't necessarily given the nitty gritty because the intent of the book doesn't seem to be "how exactly I done it".

More details for people like us want the nitty gritty details would be nice, the book is still very good IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I completely agree, however I do understand why we weren't necessarily given the nitty gritty because the intent of the book doesn't seem to be "how exactly I done it".</div></div>I see what you are saying, and I also enjoyed the book.

Here's the thing, though: If it's not a 'how I done it' story then they are way too ambitious in calling it an 'autobiography', because there's simply no such thing as an autobiography of an otherwise obscure thirty-something year old man who is still alive.

How does one measure a lifetime? Years lived? Accomplishments within years lived? Not being a smart ass. Just reflecting. I've seen men younger than him that have lived a hell of a lot more than men twice his age. Subjective I guess. Kind of like defining "living".

John

American Sniper is the historical path about a guy that happens to be a navy Seal sniper. Its also the history of the people around him. The shooting instances are very matter of fact and low on both tactical and target detail.

What I found deeply profound were the quality of the people and the intense selflessness which they serve their country, their buddies, and fellow troupes.

The book is not overly high on excitement, blood and guts, but I don't think it was required. I was thankful for the brief keyhole view into a very high quality young man's life and that of his friends.
More than anything I came away with an intense sense of thankfulness and appreciation for what those boys did and are doing over there.
Truly a great generation in the making.

If you ever had any doubt as to the intent, social stance, and beliefs of militant jihadist that message comes thru crystal clear. If you don't want to leave them to fend for themselves or erase every extremist from the planet I suggest you re-read the book.

I highly recommend it.

I just picked this book up yesterday and am only just into it...so far, a good read. Those of you who liked "Trigger Men", I would also recommend "HOG's in the Shadows". That was a great read too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">American Sniper is the historical path about a guy that happens to be a navy Seal sniper. Its also the history of the people around him. The shooting instances are very matter of fact and low on both tactical and target detail.

What I found deeply profound were the quality of the people and the intense selflessness which they serve their country, their buddies, and fellow troupes.

The book is not overly high on excitement, blood and guts, but I don't think it was required. I was thankful for the brief keyhole view into a very high quality young man's life and that of his friends.
More than anything I came away with an intense sense of thankfulness and appreciation for what those boys did and are doing over there.
Truly a great generation in the making.

If you ever had any doubt as to the intent, social stance, and beliefs of militant jihadist that message comes thru crystal clear. If you don't want to leave them to fend for themselves or erase every extremist from the planet I suggest you re-read the book.

I highly recommend it.

</div></div>

Amen to that! I ordered the book last night (nook) after seeing this thread. Mind you I am not a reader, I've read maybe two books through in my life. It's hard for me to even actually "read" through these forums as my mind races off to something else while I'm reading and I forget what I just read.
Anywho, I couldn't put the book down last night, I got completely sucked into it...I'm half way through and anxiously awaiting until I can get back to reading it! Weird, those words have never come out of my mouth.
Chris has a great sense of humor too...loved the "I slipped and hit the guy in the face with my elbow....a couple of times" lol!

If you fancy a book with more detail about the shots, as well as the training, I add this one to the recommended list:

SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper , by Howard Wasdin.

--Fargo007