• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BC Data....truth or dare

Can you clarify what you mean by 6 series bullets? I am shooting 210g Berger VLDs both the target and hunting versions.

Well, supposedly, Brian Litz has been using a measurement technique which gives a reasonably accurate BC on all the Berger bullets. This is much better than some bullet manufacturers who do a calculation on what the BC might be.

Basically, you should be able to use the Berger published BC and only tweak it after you've tried other things.

Yeah, we use RADAR.

The BC for Bergers are solid because we provide them and they are an averaged BC not a marketing BC.

Hi,

But those BCs are "solid" with their specific MV, Environmental conditions, and Distances measured at..... NOT across the board type "solid".
BC numbers are always nothing more than a starting point.

Increase your shooting distance 200 yards further than they tested on radar and you will get another set of numbers for the BC.
Increase/Decrease your MV than what they tested at on radar and you will get another set of numbers for the BC.
Increase/Decrease your ASL by 1000ft in regards to where they tested at on radar and you will get another set of numbers for BC.
We can even get into changing your twist rate than what they tested with and you get another set of numbers for BC.
Etc Etc Etc

Sincerely,
Theis

He did say they go with the average BC tested. Without buying all the testing gear and lab set up....I am thinking I am going to use it as a solid base to start from.

Can you clarify what you mean by 6 series bullets? I am shooting 210g Berger VLDs both the target and hunting versions.

I'm referring to the variations of the 6-6.5 mm or so rounds. It's easy to get clean air out to 1400+ yds with a 6.5CM.

Hi,

But those BCs are "solid" with their specific MV, Environmental conditions, and Distances measured at..... NOT across the board type "solid".
BC numbers are always nothing more than a starting point.

Increase your shooting distance 200 yards further than they tested on radar and you will get another set of numbers for the BC.
Increase/Decrease your MV than what they tested at on radar and you will get another set of numbers for the BC.
Increase/Decrease your ASL by 1000ft in regards to where they tested at on radar and you will get another set of numbers for BC.
We can even get into changing your twist rate than what they tested with and you get another set of numbers for BC.
Etc Etc Etc

Sincerely,
Theis

This is incorrect. All of the testing is zeroed to ICAO standards and done with optimal twist. The BC data provided is an average from 3000fps to subsonic. Meaning it isn't a short range high marketing BC. In relation to what the shooter is asking the BC data provided on the Berger box is solid and not a marketing ploy. In other words, the statement answered the question the user was asking about what is on the box.

When used the solver should account for the changes in atmospherics and provide an accurate prediction through supersonic flight.

Reactions: rangerlong
This is incorrect. All of the testing is zeroed to ICAO standards and done with optimal twist. The BC data provided is an average from 3000fps to subsonic. Meaning it isn't a short range high marketing BC. In relation to what the shooter is asking the BC data provided on the Berger box is solid and not a marketing ploy. In other words, the statement answered the question the user was asking about what is on the box.

When used the solver should account for the changes in atmospherics and provide an accurate prediction through supersonic flight.

Spot on! Thank you! That answered my next question too!

Spot on! Thank you! That answered my next question too!

Just remember, you may need some small tweaking. You’ll be very close with AB and sometimes dead in. But still needs verification.

I use AB custom curves with good success. But still need to tweak it for my particular barrel and lot.

Reactions: LastShot300
Just remember, you may need some small tweaking. You’ll be very close with AB and sometimes dead in. But still needs verification.

I use AB custom curves with good success. But still need to tweak it for my particular barrel and lot.
How do you tweak the custom curve? Or are you just tweaking MV to make the cc match?

How do you tweak the custom curve? Or are you just tweaking MV to make the cc match?

The MV and whatever the other truing functions are in the kestrel AB program.

Custom curve is usually very close though.

Reactions: BigTex
Maybe there is a better place to ask this question but what is between g7 and g1....is there a g2, g3, etc?

Info on Internet but generally, G1 is for flat-based bullets and G7 is for boattails.

Info on Internet but generally, G1 is for flat-based bullets and G7 is for boattails.

I understand that....I can Google. Hahahaha my question is why is there a gap? G1 to g7? Is there a g2 or g3 g4 etc?

Not really true, take for instance the runner up of the last KO2M, he fired and almost win using Leigh bullets with G1 data, and there are a couple of thousands more examples showing the same. G1 or G7 is not what really matters, what is vital is to have good, verified values.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I understand that....I can Google. Hahahaha my question is why is there a gap? G1 to g7? Is there a g2 or g3 g4 etc?

Their are more than just G#. You have others like J, SP, R4A, and more. Dozens of these designators for all types of designs exist. But to keep things simple for this discussion:

G1 - Flat based bullet, 3.28 calibers in length, with a 1.32 caliber length nose, with a 2 caliber (blunt) nose ogive. Also known as the GI.

G2 - 5.19 calibers long with a .5 caliber 6° boat tail. Banded artillery round.

G3 - Failed prototype.

G4 - Failed prototype.

G5 - 7° .49 caliber boat tail, 4.29 calibers long with a 2.1 caliber nose with a 6.19 caliber tangent nose ogive.

G6 - Flat based, spire point, type bullets. 4.81 calibers long with a 2.53 caliber nose and a 6.99 caliber secant nose ogive.

G7 V2 - These are like VLD Bullets. 4.23 calibers long with with a .6 caliber long 7° Boat Tail and a 2.18 caliber long nose with a 10 caliber tangent nose ogive.

G8 - Flatbase version of a G7. 3.64 calibers long with a 2.18 caliber long nose and a 10 caliber secant nose ogive.

GS - Sphere (think musket ball).

RA4 - For 22 Long Rifle.

Reactions: AIAW