• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes BC Scope caps. Anyone given up?

idahowitzer

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2011
Boise, ID
Without divulging too much information, I'm tired of the BC scope covers breaking on me. I've literally had dozens break with normal opening/closing. Fortunately, I have the resources to make a dependable, sellable alternative that is geared to tactical shooters and serious hunters.

What would you like to see in a quality set of rapid opening scope covers?

This has me very interested...

My initial thoughts are fairly general, but:
  1. reliability
  2. durability
  3. ease of operation
  4. decent price

The original BC's were much better. They used a more flexible/pliable plastic that didn't break so easily. The newer ones are total crap and I won't buy them anymore. They should sell spare covers cheap for repair parts.... The design isn't bad, the materials are crap.

I recently received a set of Tenebrex covers with a S-B scope - they look pretty damn tough, but damn, the things certainly don't allow the scope bells to come anywhere close to the rail or barrel. Given that, I'd think that any alternative would need to maintain the same low profile to which I'm accustomed with Butler Creek caps.

I've got no problem with BC's. Never had a set break. But then, I'm not a wicked cool, high speed, low drag "operator."

Didn't we already do this discussion recently?

I would like to see them thread into the scope like the Leupold ones. The eyepiece cover could slip over it though.
My scope sits so close to the barrel that butler creek type covers will not fit.

BC work fine for guys with objectives under 40mm. But when you get up to 50-56mm objectives, with the same diddly spring and exact same size plastic bracing, they are pieces of crap. They can be very difficult to open with one hand, all the while causing hella strain on the little plastic brace.

If you can make durable, durable, easy to open, durable covers for less than $20/ cap, a lot of people would be interested.

I'm gonna save up for AADLANDs, guaranteed for life.

BC work fine for guys with objectives under 40mm. But when you get up to 50-56mm objectives, with the same diddly spring and exact same size plastic bracing, they are pieces of crap. They can be very difficult to open with one hand, all the while causing hella strain on the little plastic brace.

I've used up to 50mm with no problem.

Just broke one today on my Steiner 5-25 (Obj cap snapped off!). They break..... I personally loved my NF bikini covers...

I've used up to 50mm with no problem.

...fantastic news.

The engineered design of butler creeks is wonderful for small diameters. Unfortunately, the same size support structure is used from the 24mm caps through their 50mm+ caps. Couple that with shit polymer in the last 4 or 5 years and you have a shit product. I wish a polymer company like Magpul would get on board with this niche. Love or hate Magpul, their polymers are 100 years ahead of current Butler Creek.

I just purchased my 3rd front butler creek for my 5-20 SS a month ago. I don't use the rifle it's on nearly as hard as most. The hinge brace cracks. Use your equipment somewhere other than your living room or the range and it'll crack too. I'm sure our cold weather doesn't help.

I'm done with the butler creeks. I just broke another after the second day while hunting. I had the covers opened, laid the rilfe down in some grass to glass around then picked the rifle up to find the grass broke the objective cover! This was at roughly 50 degrees- hardly cold.
I've thought that the covers were cheap enough (local Bushnell outlet @ $5/per) to just keep extras on hand, but damn!

Agreed, the originals were great. I still have a set that's been on a Leopold 3.5-10 Vari-X 3 since I bought it about 20 years ago and they still work great..This is on a hunting rifle that spent 13 years in Alaska getting beat up on snowmachines and four wheelers..

The original BC's were much better. They used a more flexible/pliable plastic that didn't break so easily. The newer ones are total crap and I won't buy them anymore. They should sell spare covers cheap for repair parts.... The design isn't bad, the materials are crap.

I like BC caps for the eyepiece. Never had an eyepiece one break. It is on the objective side they suck at.

Durability for sure. And make some that actually fit a Razor. If they work well and hold up and fit right I would pay a fair amount for them. There going on 2k optics usually, so I would gladly spend another 30-50 for a set worth it.

This is how people get rich....

(1) Find a need / market
(2) Innovate an excellent new product
(3) Sell! Sell! Sell!

I am not a Tier 1 operator but have broken enough of them to say no more and I will use my bikini scope covers until I find something better.

Lay flat when open would be nice..
Staying closed when closed would be nicer
not breaking at the $^&^%% hinge would be ideal

Here is what I would like:

1. Strong polymer and stronger hinge.
2. A ball bearing or raceway system so that the open objective cover stays in the same position/ orientation with NF scopes (where the entire objective turns when zooming)
3. Low profile front cover
4. Inside objective cover, a transparent shield under which I can store my holdover dope

make something like this and people will come running!

I have actually cut off the little "nub" on the objective hinge and it let's it lay flat when opened. Still are shit though and break all to often

They have to be tough, I've purchased my last sets of BC's. Any set I've purchased in the last three years has broken with little effort.

Probably under $50 per set
Enough spring pressure to hold it in the open position, or a detent like mentioned above.

As has been pointed out in other threads and mentioned in this one, Leupold Alumina caps come as close to ideal as anything out there.

Thread into the tube and add no extra diameter to interfere with clearance.
Stay closed with magnets, not pressure
Pop open instantly when needed
Hold open detent that allows the cap to be laid flat against the scope
Durability- I suppose some guys can break anything, but these are made of metal and seem pretty tough

The only thing needed is for the scope manufacturers to thread the dang eyepiece and objective ends with a standard thread. How tough can it be? Camera manufacturers have been doing it for decades to accommodate filters and their optics are every bit as precise as a rifle scope. This is one of those small issues in life that annoys me more than it probably should, but we all mess around with crappy workarounds when a really good solution is already 90% ready to go.

Do the Leupold Alumina's fit anything other than Leopold scopes? (In some descriptions I've seen it says no, but this may be a marketing thing.)

If so, what model/size fits the NF 5.5x22x50 scope?

Do the Leupold Alumina's fit anything other than Leopold scopes? (In some descriptions I've seen it says no, but this may be a marketing thing.)

If so, what model/size fits the NF 5.5x22x50 scope?

The 50mm Alumina fits the obj on a 50mm Nightforce, but you're out of luck on the non-threaded eyepiece or the 56mm obj.

Thank you all for the VALUABLE input thus far. We are moving forward on a higher end product that most guys on this forum seem to show interest in. Feel free to keep giving input!

-Phil

I must have 25+ scopes with BC covers dating back to the 1980s. I used to be a huge fan of them, especially on my hunting rifles.

I wholeheartedly agree that ever since they changed the polymer of the flip caps, they have become flimsy crap. They now break very easily and are much harder to close and open (especially the front objectives.) I've broken 3 (2 front & and 1 rear) while hunting during the last 3 weeks!

I can't believe Butler Creek did this and I'm done with these caps until they go back to the old polymer! Its a real shame. It used to be a great product (even though I really wish they would fold back flat too.)

Will those of us providing input used in the design will be able to try samples of the initial batch out as consideration of the valuable intellectual property we have provided?

Thank you all for the VALUABLE input thus far. We are moving forward on a higher end product that most guys on this forum seem to show interest in. Feel free to keep giving input!

-Phil

I've been shooting a S&B 5 x 25 and caps are impossible to find that function correctly or last and if you use a sunshade they're impossible to reach but I've solved that problem at least for me. I use truck tire tubes. Cut a 4" strip from the right diameter tube and your problems are cured. Blown out tubes are free and you can cut plenty of them. Plus the 4" strip covers the turrets and it can be released from your ffp.if you use this idea you now have the best tactical scope covers imagine able for free for life..so.send 10 bucks to a veterans program

As far as design fit, are you looking more towards threading into the scope or fitting on the outside of the objective?

Where are the covers breaking? Are they breaking at the cap or the ring portion of the hinge? (I've never had any break.)

I had 2 20mm (02A) break almost immediately after I got them and and one for the 50mm obj Vortex after just a few openings. All broke at the bottom of the hinge. I was so disgusted I called Bushnel and ask for a replaement which I got. They said they never heard of the problem before. They have think we are all idiots to believe that line.

I've broken almost every single BC that I've ever owned, they're junk IMO.

The ones that are a high-durometer rubber with a non-pinned joint are great. I think they usually come on Premier's scopes. I like those, if I over load something it pops apart and I can put it back together.

Barring that, the NF bikini's are hard to beat.