• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCM Gunfighter vs Raptor Ambi Charging Handle

IslandTime

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
The Island
Looking to order an ambi charging handle in next couple of days and just wanted to see if anyone had any inputs on the BCM ambi vs the Raptor ambi. The BCM is about $20 less and reported to be made in USA. Any inputs appreciated and thanks in advance.

I have the raptor on my sbr and love it. No experience with the bcm and don't have a reason to try them, the raptor makes me plenty happy.

I have had a Raptor for several months now and I have run the hell out of it with a number of drills and generally attempted to break it. It is by far the best ambi setup I have ever run and it hasn't missed a beat at this point.

However...with that said...I too would be interested in seeing a dedicated comparison between the Raptor and the BCM Ambi. Both have stellar reputations, both ARE made in the USA (the Raptor is made by AXTS Weapons Systems in Oregon...I think they are in OR anyway), and both are from companies who know what customer service is and how to make a high quality product. My biggest interest in the ~$20 difference in price in comparison with the design/features offered on the BCM and whether the Raptor is REALLY worth an extra 25% over the BCM.

To me...just from what I have seen in photos of the BCM, the Raptor's design seems stronger than the BCM ambi CH in the areas on a CH prone to breakage, but again...hard to tell based on no hands-on experience with the BCM. I am also interested in which CH has the larger profile (in terms of the width/size of the latches...they look pretty close to the same size, but honestly, I think I'd prefer the design of the Raptor's latches to the more abbreviated latches on the BCM). I wonder if BCM will ultimately intro their offering with the larger latches like they have done with their other gunfighter CHs??

Thanks for the inputs gentlemen. As mentioned by ORD I also like the looks of the Raptor, but wondered if it was worth the extra approximate $20 difference in price. That choice, can of course, be a personal one. I've liked the looks of the Raptor since seeing its intro and based on the inputs here will order one. Thanks again for your inputs and time.

I have Raptors in both my KAC SR15 and LMT MWS, they're awesome. Great feel, great functionality and they look down right badass.

The Raptors are made in the US as well and after using both of them, I prefer the Raptor.

Would you mind elaborating on what you like more about the Raptor or didn't like as mush about the BCM? I was on the fence as well but wanted to hear from someone who actually has used both. It's easy to like one over the other when you haven't used both lol...

The Raptor was/is smoother. I manipulate the charging handle by pinching the latch between my thumb and pointer finger and the Raptor has a larger latch surface for this then the BCM without protruding further. It is not an issue for me, but some complain of being pinched by the BCM and while I do not get pinched, I can see where this is happening for them and looking at the Raptor, it seems this would be less likely to happen with that design. I have no qualms about the strength of either (I have seen a ACLM abi-charging handle destroyed in a class and do not forsee that failure happening to either the Raptor of BCM), but the Raptor is smoother and slightly easier to manipulate from either side to me. To me, it is worth the extra $20. I tend to be willing to spend money on what I feel is a better product rather then compromising with my firearms purchases though.

Do you need a Raptor to try out?

The Raptor was/is smoother. I manipulate the charging handle by pinching the latch between my thumb and pointer finger and the Raptor has a larger latch surface for this then the BCM without protruding further. It is not an issue for me, but some complain of being pinched by the BCM and while I do not get pinched, I can see where this is happening for them and looking at the Raptor, it seems this would be less likely to happen with that design. I have no qualms about the strength of either (I have seen a ACLM abi-charging handle destroyed in a class and do not forsee that failure happening to either the Raptor of BCM), but the Raptor is smoother and slightly easier to manipulate from either side to me. To me, it is worth the extra $20. I tend to be willing to spend money on what I feel is a better product rather then compromising with my firearms purchases though.

Do you need a Raptor to try out?

I'm close enough to Rainier Arms I'll just wander down and play with one of their builds, but thank you for the offer. And thank you for the fill in on info...

I've ran a BCM Gunfighter for 2 1/2 years now. Good design, but it doesn't completely eliminate the off-center force of single-handed operation of the charging handle like it claims. I'll be trying a Raptor on my next build.

Raptor is great. BCM left-sided is great too, haven't seen their ambi handle in person. The Raptor is very slick. BCM's design is great 99.9% of the time, but if you hit the latch at just the right angle and location you can get a nasty pinch on your finger - I've only done it once out of 1000's of uses, but it's not pleasant.

I own both and while I like the lower price of the BCM, I prefer the Raptor in actual use. When manipulating the weapon as a lefty, the forward assist will interfere a bit when I'm running the BCM but not with the Raptor for whatever reason. Its strange since the BCM latch sticks out further, I really can't explain it. I also feel the Raptor is smoother but that's totally subjective. Both are well made and backed by good companies. I have one of the first run Raptors which is steel and has no markings. I'm told later versions are aluminum. Here are some pics if it'll help...

8716784938_e1e3b17354.jpg

8715660735_eba1d50e30.jpg

8716782040_6060732d23.jpg

8716783376_4d5f9f77f0.jpg

Good stuff I run the raptor on my DDv7 and love it, I was thinking about trying the BCM on my new sbr build just to, but I think I might just get another raptor.

Been running BCM gun fighters on all my rifles.. Holding off trying the Raptor, I might have to buy 7-8 and change everything out!

I have used both. I have BCM's on just about everything, and thought they were the cats ass, until I used a Raptor. Never had an issue with my BCM, but the Raptor I used straight up feels BETTER.

Thanks again for all the input. The Raptor I ordered three days ago showed up today, which is great service and it appears to be one excellent charging handle. The last part I needed is the barrel and that's on the way, so looking forward to trying it out on the new build!

I just got the box yesterday with 2 of the 7.62 raptors. I found them at joeboboutfitters.

No sweat! I already frog lubed them and put them in the rifles. I had a pri gasbuster on 1 and a bcm on the other. (I am not running the rifle with the can anymore so no need for the PRI.) They are smooth and very direct in that they seem to come straight back in a linear fashion easier. There's not a feeling of the CH coming back but canting to the side a little. I am sure that's not the best way to articulate it so lets just settle with I like them!

Ordered it.... Now if I like it I'm gonna have to order two more for my 5.56 and 6.8 spc II..... And then sell my medium latched BCM'S which have less than 15 rounds apiece on them as I had just bought them lol.

Ordered it.... Now if I like it I'm gonna have to order two more for my 5.56 and 6.8 spc II..... And then sell my medium latched BCM'S which have less than 15 rounds apiece on them as I had just bought them lol.

Let me know if you sell them, I need 2 of them for builds.

I just purchased the BCM ambi, but my rifle is still in need of an NSR before I can start testing it out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Just a thought but it looks like the BCM has a berm like feature that would keep the back pressure of a suppressed weapon from traveling down the charging handle port and into the operators face. I cannot tell that the Raptor has this feature from the pics and it might be good to know if you run suppressed.

Forgive my ignorance on the matter but after 8 years as an 0311, I never had an issue with the standard G.I. charging handle. Obviously it doesn't offer ambi support so I totally see the point of switching to one of the aforementioned brands, but do they improve upon anything else? Other then ambi controls what would be a side benefit of switching?

Reason I ask is I'm balls deep in my first AR build and was just going to go with a standard daniel defense charging handle. However, I like the idea of ambi support but am still on the fence.

The BCM does have a little more rise at 12 o'clock in the rear of the charging handle. From my experience with supressed 10.5 and 14.5 inch barrel shooting, the BCM does not do a good job diverting the gases. (Of course unsuppressed is a non issue.) The only luck I have had, especially rapid fire, is the PRI Gasbuster.

Having had both BCM and Raptor now, I prefer the Raptor CH for sure.

The BCM does have a little more rise at 12 o'clock in the rear of the charging handle. From my experience with supressed 10.5 and 14.5 inch barrel shooting, the BCM does not do a good job diverting the gases. (Of course unsuppressed is a non issue.) The only luck I have had, especially rapid fire, is the PRI Gasbuster.

Having had both BCM and Raptor now, I prefer the Raptor CH for sure.

Have you run the Raptor with your suppressed 10.5 & 14.5's ? Curious how that works out. Maybe with the RTV trick?
I've read on other sites that a lot of folks don't like the PRI because they say it's been known to break.