• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bead blasted Stainless steel

Jackomason

Poop-smith aka "Turd Herder"
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2013
Westcliffe Colorado
I have a barrel coming in soon and I'm thinking of taking it to my local gunshop/mfg to have them bead blast it. Is there any dangers I need to know about? If the media is tainted will it rust any more than a blued finish? Can I oil it without it looking weird?

Idea from 6.5 guys 2018 match rifles video.

In my experience bead blasted barrela get marked up easier, collect dirt/oil, and are harder to wipe clean. A bump against something usually leaves no mark on an unblasted barrel, but usually leaves a blemish on a blasted barrel that doesn't just wipe off. The bead blasted surface looks great until it doesn't.

I started shooting barrels out in less than 6 months and gave up on doing anything extra to them.

This (y)........

They look really great when they come out of the blast cabinet and are washed down. Everything else that Mordamer says is consistent with my experience. Having said that, I have a barrel that I bead blasted, it looks like Mordamer describes, but I don't really care. The thing shoots lights out, which is what matters to me.

Reactions: Jackomason
Yeah, my biggest concern is the coyotes seeing the glint of the bare steel. Valid points and worth considering.. thanks guys.

I have my hunting barrels bead blasted so they arent so shiny. Thats it.

Yes you can embed old material into it and it will stain a bit but I wouldnt avoid bead blasting just because of that. I still give them a wipe of oil like the rest of the rifle metal gets. Looks fine unless you use to much and tough it leaving prints all over, same as anything though.

My scouting rifle had a bead blasted barrel, well a portion of it was exposed as the rest was later spray painted. I didnt notice much staining that wasnt solved by a quick wipe down with solvent. But my non-beadblasted barrels stay "cleaner" longer.

Bead blasted doesn’t mark up/stain too bad. AlOx blasted can certainly hold oils from touching and stain, as well has having the “sharp” ridged of the surface knocked down by being rubbed/bumped, showing irregularities.

Last edited:
That is what I like about a bead blasted barrel. It holds dirt and grime. The subterfuge will last until you start shooting but at a glance you look bona fide.

The stainless steel used in gunmaking (416) rusts anyway. Any steel dust mixed in the blasting media is irrelevant.

I figure if your doing it to reduce glare and not diy (paying...) just have it cerakoted. If for looks bead blasted looks awesome but does scuff and show wear a little more.