• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bead blasting

fordsoldier

Just a dude, doing dude stuff.
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2005
Illinois
Hey guys just got a bartlein barrel today had the shop bead blast the barrel. I just want to ask before I contact the company.

The rifling that meets the crown looks like it took a beating during the bead blasting. Its like that all the way around

Thanks
20200404_135336.jpg

I was prepared to tell you that you were worrying about nothing but looking at that it does appear the edges are rolled over. I dont know why they would even get near the crown while bead blasting but they may have slammed it in some type of spindle for the work in the blast cabinet. I would recut it if you have the tool, you can buy from brownells or send it to have them do it.

First, I am not bashing anyone or any company I am wanting opinions, I have an email in to the owner of the company, and what I have read the guy is a standup guy with great customer service.

Ok guys, this has been eating at me and wanted to just show a few more pics of the rifling and the crown. To me the rifling looks rolled and I dont think it can be fixed.

Just to hear what you guys think. I think the barrel needs to go back, most likely redone.

The first couple is the barrel that is causing me my anxiety right now, the last picture is how I think the crown should look.
20200404_161217.jpg
20200404_161228.jpg
20200404_161141.jpg
20200404_155727.jpg

I always install muzzle and barrel extension caps on and tape the hell out of them before bead blasting. Those glass beads are very fine and seem to get into places you wouldn't believe possible. Make sure to clean the hell out of that barrel before using it. I'd be a little pissed if I was you.

Quick update the owner got back to me and said that the barrel was not right and should have never left his shop. He will cut me a new barrel, but he is waiting on more Bartlein blanks to come in.