• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes BEAST Zero-Stop Fix

jkonzal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
NE WA
The screw that locks the Zero-Stop on my BEAST scope stripped. I called NF and was told this is a "hand burnished" part and that I had to send the scope back for repair. However, taking a VERY close look at the problem, I discovered that the screw is only about 3/16" long and only engaged 3 threads, but the hole it goes into is threaded all the way thru. I went to ACE Hardware and purchased a 2-56x3/8" replacement for .60 cents and was shooting a match two days later. If you have a BEAST, I would recommend replacing the screw before you have problems with it.

I can't believe they would not just send you a new screw...

I think it is more about them wanting to see what failed. I understand that, but for such a simple fix I didn't want to take the scope off and send it back.

Just shows good design which can be easily upgraded with standard part available everywhere :) .

This is the first that such a problem has been identified and it was forwarded on to the appropriate staff for review.

It sounds as if the fix was a simple one. Had we known it was such a simple fix, there may have been a simpler solution provided, but given this was the first occurrence being brought to Customer Service's attention, they would prefer to receive it back for review in order to know how to properly correct it in the future by evaluation.

We truly apologize for such inconvenience. Please know that this is being looked into further.

This is the first that such a problem has been identified and it was forwarded on to the appropriate staff for review.

It sounds as if the fix was a simple one. Had we known it was such a simple fix, there may have been a simpler solution provided, but given this was the first occurrence being brought to Customer Service's attention, they would prefer to receive it back for review in order to know how to properly correct it in the future by evaluation.

We truly apologize for such inconvenience. Please know that this is being looked into further.

Same awesome customer support I experienced recently.

On the topic of NF BEASTs I have moa version bought from Mile high shooting, used for 1 or 2 nights out and the parallax adjustment is very lose for a quarter turn in either direction then tightens up harder then my atacr's. Quite frankly I do not want to have to send it back, beings hunting season is here. but I know it definitely has a problem. Open for ideas, I thought about trying to tighten the knob up but it looks like a small flat head screw, and mile high told me that the one they have has allen head screws.

On the topic of NF BEASTs I have moa version bought from Mile high shooting, used for 1 or 2 nights out and the parallax adjustment is very lose for a quarter turn in either direction then tightens up harder then my atacr's. Quite frankly I do not want to have to send it back, beings hunting season is here. but I know it definitely has a problem. Open for ideas, I thought about trying to tighten the knob up but it looks like a small flat head screw, and mile high told me that the one they have has allen head screws.

Try moving the rings and checking the torque value. It sounds like you're binding it. The front ring that is ... You may have over torqued them. 15 inch pounds is standard ...

I will definatally check them, I use a borka tool to install though and I am running a gdi p-rom L model, so it's not like I have crap rings. Thanks for the help !!

TNottingham, I experience the same parallax feel as you. Mine is very easy for part of the turn and harder for other part (I think the harder part is in the middle). I called Nightforce and the guy went and asked the designers (I think) and was told this is normal. Therefore, I dismissed it as normal.

Lowlight, As for rings being overtorqued...The manual says 25 inch pounds. I use Nightforce ultralight rings.

Another issue I have had is the elevation cap set screws loosen up with shooting. I was shooting and all of a sudden my dialings were not correlating and was not even close to targets. Found the screws loosened up and cap was just spinning without turning turret. I was afraid I would strip screws out and probably not tight enough. Is there a fix for this to prevent loosening up and having to re sight in to get back on target?

If in fact that the parallax adjustment is light then rough like mine is and that is normal. I have no interest in this particular scope. The atacr's and flawless, I own two and love them. I wish some other people would chime in about there BEAST's so we would know if they are all like that. When I talked to a sales man at Mile high shooting where I bought the scope, he had another one in stock and said that the one they have does not feel that way at all... I am going to try and make a trip down there to see for my self

If in fact that the parallax adjustment is light then rough like mine is and that is normal. I have no interest in this particular scope. The atacr's and flawless, I own two and love them. I wish some other people would chime in about there BEAST's so we would know if they are all like that. When I talked to a sales man at Mile high shooting where I bought the scope, he had another one in stock and said that the one they have does not feel that way at all... I am going to try and make a trip down there to see for my self

I would venture to say that what you are feeling is not normal. The BEAST has a very smooth, almost too smooth of feel in focus adjustment. I would contact our Customer Service team to obtain an RMA for return so that it can be looked at and repaired if necessary.
The focus adjustment operates on a cam. The only spot I can feel a slight bit of stiffness is about two bars from the infinity setting, but still very smooth. If it is rough feeling, probably needs to be looked at.

I would not expect that rings could crush our tube and hinder the feel of the adjustment unless torqued in foot pounds. Our tubes are rather thick compared to others and we provide necessary clearance for the focus lens assembly to move freely. Lowlight is right though, there are some other manufacturers that have sensitive focus assemblies and they can bind in certain types of rings at rather low torque values.

Please give our Customer Service team a call at (208) 476-9814 ext. 201 as they are more than happy to discuss it with you.

I have run my BEAST this entire shooting season and have never noticed any of the parallax knob problems that have been mentioned.

I noticed that my BEAST has a very slightly rough spot about where 00Bullitt says he experienced it. Then I shot my BEAST and was able to completely clean the parallax out of it regardless and found myself not giving a crap about how it felt.

I talked to nightforce customer service today about the parallax knob feel. I started to question whether I heard right when I called few weeks ago. He told me same thing as before. That the Beast is hand made one at a time and each knob will feel different to different people. He said they usually do feel easy to turn and then some resistance and then less as keep turning. This is due to orings creating a hydraulic effect and is as designed to be. Very tight tolerances.

He was extremely helpful and friendly. He said more than once he would be happy to have it looked at if I want to.

I have been more than happy with the Beast and nightforce is a class act company!

I received my BEAST from Mile High about a week ago. I was just about to mount it up with some 1" Seekins Rings I had laying around on the bench, and realized they're not high enough. Curious to know what recommendations you guys have as far as ring heights you are running on yours.