• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding an AICS ?

Re: Bedding an AICS ?

some say yes and some say no.....I would recommend shooting it first and see how it shoots. If it shoots to your liking, i would leave it alone, if not give it a skim bed.

I ended up bedding mine, because when the front bolt was torqued there was some upward movement in the rear tang when it was torqued.

I did mine a little different some of you may freak but it has worked out great for me.

I actually reverse bedded it, the marine tex is actually bonded to the action & back of the recoil lug. the reason i did it this way is two fold.
1- I believe in modifyong the less expensive part my & factory action costs about 1/2 as much as the aics chassis.
2- I may want to move to a full custom action in the future & chipping out the marine-tex from a chassis would be hell.

this has worked out well for me and the action is bedded in a stress free mannor.

plus removing the marine-tex from a convex surface like the rem-700 receiver will be fairly easy.

On another note, mine is not bedded for my 300WM build, and its an excellent shooter. Id do like the others have said and see how the accuracy is without it being bedded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROUGH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ended up bedding mine, because when the front bolt was torqued there was some upward movement in the rear tang when it was torqued.

I did mine a little different some of you may freak but it has worked out great for me.

I actually reverse bedded it, the marine tex is actually bonded to the action & back of the recoil lug. the reason i did it this way is two fold.
1- I believe in modifyong the less expensive part my & factory action costs about 1/2 as much as the aics chassis.
2- I may want to move to a full custom action in the future & chipping out the marine-tex from a chassis would be hell.

this has worked out well for me and the action is bedded in a stress free mannor.

plus removing the marine-tex from a convex surface like the rem-700 receiver will be fairly easy. </div></div>Are you sure your recoil lug wasnt just too long for the lug recess causing the action to rock a little? I have seen that happen before with AICS's, just had to take a little off the bottom of the recoil lug. Not saying that was the case, but rather just sharing my experience.

On another note I have never bedded any of the AICS's I have owned as the guns I had in them always shot great.

Scott

S

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trailmudder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should this stock need to be bedded with a Remington action ? Sorry if this is a dumb question . </div></div>

they don't <span style="font-style: italic">need</span> to be bedded. some people have seen accuracy improvements by bedding though. personally, my aics failed the "stress test" but still shoots better than i can un-bedded. my aics being un-bedded and failing the "stress test" has not kept me from winning matches.

i'd mount it up per the instructions and shoot it. if you feel it should shoot better, then try bedding it. i wouldn't let people tell you that they absolutely NEED to be bedded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting angle on bedding....I like the logic. </div></div>

thanks I just felt the stock will stick around longer than the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROUGH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ended up bedding mine, because when the front bolt was torqued there was some upward movement in the rear tang when it was torqued.

plus removing the marine-tex from a convex surface like the rem-700 receiver will be fairly easy. </div></div>Are you sure your recoil lug wasnt just too long for the lug recess causing the action to rock a little? I have seen that happen before with AICS's, just had to take a little off the bottom of the recoil lug. Not saying that was the case, but rather just sharing my experience.

On another note I have never bedded any of the AICS's I have owned as the guns I had in them always shot great.

Scott

S </div></div>

yea I looked at all the reasons for this & finally discovered that the receiver was arching up in the back
I did take a look at the lug and there is daylight, not much but there is clearence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trailmudder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should this stock need to be bedded with a Remington action ? Sorry if this is a dumb question . </div></div>

I dropped a 5R in an aics and did not have to bed it. It shot better than before with the factory stock. I built a 6.5x47 with a bat remington clone and had to have apa bed it with devcon to get it to shoot to my expectations.