• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Bedding barrel and action?

IdahoMike

I like Turtles.
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
12TUN8307946609
I have a B&C Medalist that Iam going to bed and I dont know if I should just leave it alone because of the aluminum block? or bed just the barrel or both? This is going to be my fisrt go at it so I dont want to screw it up...hopefully.

Re: Bedding barrel and action?

Not many folks bed the barrels. Of those who did, I've heard so little afterward that I can't honestly decide whether it's a good idea or a bad one.

My first question about your situation would be, "What's so bad about the rifle that it absolutely needs to be made better?".

Do you have a legitimate problem, or are you just like the rest of us and starting to get our annual case of the Mid-Winter Crazies...?

Greg

PS ...and IdahoMike, did you used to live in OK?

Winter Crazies...

Also its a new stock and it has been inletted for an oversized recoil lug. I thought about getting a new lug but from what Ive been told is that I shouldnt change the lug until its time to re-barrel. I need to glass the Lug and figured "what the hell as long as Iam bedding the lug I might as well do the whole damn thing"

I've never lived in OK.

Mike

Why do you need to glass the lug?

Sure the lug recess in the B&C stocks are like 1/4" wide, but you just need the back face of the lug against the block. It doesn't matter if the front is floating in space.

I have been running a B&C Light Tactical for quite some time now. Torque the action to 65 in/lbs and drive on.

If you are not getting solid contact between the rear of the lug and the bedding block, then I most certainly would skim bed it.

The arguments for leaving the chamber free-floating are making more sense to me because I really heat up my barrel.

What bedding compound do you guys recommend? I have an acraglas gel kit for an hs precision stock, but heard that the metal epoxy was probably better. Since it would be my first also I don't know if it makes that much difference.
Thanks,JH

Either Devcon steel putty, or Brownells Steel bed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stater61</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What bedding compound do you guys recommend? I have an acraglas gel kit for an hs precision stock, but heard that the metal epoxy was probably better. Since it would be my first also I don't know if it makes that much difference.
Thanks,JH </div></div>

Devcon or MarineTex (grey)