• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Bedding over an HS Precision bedding block?

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
Anyone ever did this? I have a 700P in 300WM that should shoot more consistant than it does. When looking at the bedding, the reciever is only contacting the bedding block in about 5 high spots and it looks like you might expect if steel was rubbing on aluminum because the fit was poor.

Was thinking about skim bedding it with Devcon to see if I could tighten up the groups a little and wondered if anyone else had done this and if it helped.

Re: Bedding over an HS Precision bedding block?

Thanks Nate,

I thought I had read something on this once but a search turned up nothing. I was concerned about cleaning the aluminum block. The stuff is touchy to get bedding to stick to sometimes, especially when the epoxy is spread thin.

I have a KMW built in an HS stock (I was building a budget gun) and Terry Cross skim bedded my rifle. My rifle holds sub MOA (x-ring on NRA HP tgt) out to 600 yards. I would bed it for sure...bedding (done correctly) =100% custom fit.

Just finished doing exactly that on my HS as well as the bottom metal. I drilled 1/16 holes 1/16 deep into the glass part of the stock only not into the aluminum. I then sandblasted all of the areas that Devcon would contact with 70 grit Alum oxide. It turned out really well.

I've done it before. Rifle is a Savage 10FP in an HS Precision stock. It took two tries (which were my first two tries at bedding ANY rifle).

My first try, I scrubbed the bedding block with 220 grit and used an Acra-Glas kit. It peeled right off.

Second try, I scrubbed with 60 grit, drilled some dimples into the aluminum, and used Devcon 10110. Worked out great... no issues whatsoever.

BTW, be sure to give it plenty of time to cure before handling, otherwise the epoxy peels off relatively easily.

Lots of issues to look at here.

Is the stock original to the rifle?
Is the forward action screw bottoming on the barrel threads?
How are your scope mounts and rings?

Not to mention, how about your bullet seating depth? Touching lands? Jumping a bit? Are you shooting max loads? Got a brake?
What torque value are you using on the action screws.

I have not seen any necessity to skim bed any H-S Stock I have owned. If your receiver was trued, and material was removed, you may need the bedding.

Got another stock you can swap the barreled action to and test?

Just some ideas, but there is probably more going on to cause the receiver not to correctly mate with the H-S inletting, especially if the receiver has been worked on.

Guys I have skim bedded about a doxen hs and BC bedding block stocks. Here is how I did it.
First I drilled a few shallow dimples and roughed up the aluminum surfacewith a heavy grit sand paper. But instead of acraglass I used marine epozy. I have never had a problem with it chipping off

Oh I filled my actions screw holes with clay and my action screws were diped in vaseline. I used qtips to remove excess bedding prior to screwing my bolts into , the action

I have a tip on that. Use stock inletting guide screws from
Forster. I think the part number for the Remington is #SIREMI.

I wrap electical tape around the top of the guide screw to insure
it will be centered in the action screw holes in the bedding block.
That way when it is bedded, the actions screws are not touching the
sides which can lend itself to vibration problems. I dig out the
aluminum so there will be no doubt about whether it sticks. Here
is a few pics on this thread.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...648#Post1075648

Hope it helps
David