• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding with Marine Tex Question

JCH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
For those of you who bed with Marine Tex, at what point do you do cleanup around the top of the stock and action? (wipedown cleanup)

I assume most of you use WD-40 or alcohol...which is better?

Re: Bedding with Marine Tex Question

Personally, I don't "clean up"... I just blocksand the epoxy down to feather it in with the top of the stock.

Of course, you'll end up sanding the stock a bit too. If you plan to paint, this is no trouble. If you don't paint however, this method is a no go.

If "cleaning up", I wait until the epoxy has "congealed", but is not yet firm.

I go around the stock once it is in the bedding and clean most excess off, I use liquire thinner, but to each his on, it will actually clean up with soapy water. I try to leave a slight amount around the edge to allow for settling. Clay up any area you don't want this stuff to go in.

When you're getting the stock ready for bedding use whatever release you're using anywhere you dont want bedding to go on the outside of the stock. Then clean up most of the excess before it dries. When it's fully dry you can scrape off the remnants with a sharpened wood lollipop stick or even your finger nail. The stuff falls right off and you don't have to scrape/sand or ruin the finish off anything. Hope this helps

I do mine just like in the bedding thread and it works great. I don't let it dry too much before wiping off the excess. Makes finishing up a bunch easier/quicker. Like stockdoc said, do it early enough and you won't have to mess up your finish.

thanks guys. I've bedded before but never cleaned up before it was cured.

You probably know this, but tape around the entire stock to help make cleaning up easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You probably know this, but tape around the entire stock to help make cleaning up easier. </div></div>

thanks. I always do, and I coat the tape with kiwi neutral as well

I like to use Hornady case lube in a spray can for release agent, works great and it's spray on.

as others have said, i just use my fingernails after removing the tape and it chips off just fine.

i peel the tape off after its set a while, but is still pliable enough to come off easily.

I do quite a few pre finished stocks and I always try to remove as much as possible right before it sets to cure. I usually use q-tips and a little patience. If you can get it off without disturbing the job you will always end up with a cleaner result. On a paint after stock it's not such a big deal as stated earlier you can cut, sand, or mill as long as it doesn't encircle any of the radius of the action.