• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding. . .

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    The last 3 or 4 years have been used to really try and nail this service down. I built a new fixture last week. Between the primary inlet, the bedding, and the 2ndary cleanup work, I think we might finally have what I've been hoping for.

Every single feature here is automated. Not one file, sanding block or Dremel tool used. Bolt handle inlets have historically been a challenge. I think I finally worked that out. Dynamic work offsets certainly help along with the additional resources offered by a solid CAM system.

Fun stuff...

20989288_1439837162777704_8539044925050849634_o.jpg

20935020_1439837222777698_2440468897254657946_o.jpg

21013816_1439837252777695_6503541569164257351_o.jpg

20989274_1439837272777693_2272594609639726984_o.jpg

Gorgeous as always Chad, I wouldn't mind seeing how your tooling runs the bolt handle path.

t

Beautiful work!
    Couple of question, what does this offer that the traditional bedding done by a qualified gunsmith or DIY guy can't or doesn't. For me its all about function rather than looks, considering the bedding job is hidden....I'm not sure of the price charged for this service, but I know of other smiths who charge about $250-350 for a nice bedding job. Does your bedding job offer significant advantages over traditional bedding jobs? I suppose if the price is the same for your bedding job vs. the other qualified guy, then it doesn't matter. But, if the price is significantly more (as I suspect given the technology and R&D), I'd want to know that there is a quantifiable difference and statistically relevant reduction in group sizes at significant distances (>700 yards).

I have been contemplating sending a gun to you for bedding so my questions are sincere. I have yet to settle on a stock.

The way i understand it is Chads method offers a perfectly even layer of bedding material that also is matched to the recievers profile for zero stress. I believe each action is modeled and mirrored in the machining. I dont know the price but by my way of thinking Chads way may not be better than anyone elses, but no one elses method is better than Chads. This is the top level of bedding currently beinh done.

Just when i thought i was getting the hang of bedding...

Thanks Chad. Makes my bedding job look like it was done with a platic spoon and chainsaw.

As always... Awesome work!

Beautiful work!
    Couple of question, what does this offer that the traditional bedding done by a qualified gunsmith or DIY guy can't or doesn't. For me its all about function rather than looks, considering the bedding job is hidden....I'm not sure of the price charged for this service, but I know of other smiths who charge about $250-350 for a nice bedding job. Does your bedding job offer significant advantages over traditional bedding jobs? I suppose if the price is the same for your bedding job vs. the other qualified guy, then it doesn't matter. But, if the price is significantly more (as I suspect given the technology and R&D), I'd want to know that there is a quantifiable difference and statistically relevant reduction in group sizes at significant distances (>700 yards).

I have been contemplating sending a gun to you for bedding so my questions are sincere. I have yet to settle on a stock.

I get hit with this often. 1st, I AM more expensive. Some would say absurdly more. Numbers don't lie so break this down:

From the Manner's Website: $655 for a T5-A + shipping.
    A fairly standard rate for pillar bedding by a reputable shop: $350.00

Total: $1005 +shipping

The quality of work will range from something like this:

07-06-11-07-benjamin-trail-air-rifle-glass-bedding-stock-after-action-removed.jpg

To this:

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for bad pillar bedding","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i704.photobucket.com\/albums\/ww47\/boarhog46\/dcp_1015BeddingJob.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Or to this:

beddingfinal.jpg

Now LRI:

T5A: $400
    Pillar bedding service: $750

Total: $1200.00 +shipping

Now, add options:

Paint, accessory installation, special requests, etc. The price goes further north. It's a matter of how hard you want to play.

This is what you can expect from LRI:

10998897_794618460632914_3197066738143505549_o.jpg

11807509_870500106378082_7111844750826387199_o.jpg

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"No automatic alt text available.","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net\/v\/t31.0-8\/11053597_825478550880238_5430341856286622914_o.jpg?oh=db237a0a7757c4d8d19ccec49835e787&oe=5A2F7F26"}[/IMG2]

Does an LRI fitted rifle stock shoot any better than one done up by someone else who does a good job? No, it won't. So, if the practical dollar is your driving motivation, I am not the shop for you when it comes to this kind of work. Go to a car race once. The shiny, polished engine does not automatically mean its going to win.

The community of people I am attempting to capture are those who appreciate work "on the car" as well as "in the car". That is all we are doing. Fit and finish are as equal a concern here as terminal performance on paper, steel, and fur. If these things are important to you, then I invite you to consider what we offer. If its not, then there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of gunsmithing shops who can likely deliver what you are after.

What sent me down this path was the quest to do better work. If you feel I do and appreciate the effort, then maybe it pencils out for you.

Chad,

How come you don't bed infront of the recoil lug as well....Just curious. BTW its amazing the work you do. I have a friend that has a rifle you tuned up for him and its butter smooth and functions flawless. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Well stated Chad.... And that would be why there are 2 LRI bedded rifles in my safe lol For some, function is all a feller needs; for others, form is as or nearly as important.

Someone once wrote: "For those not willing to pay for the very best, almost anything will do." - I think it was Frank that said that.

t

Chad,

How come you don't bed infront of the recoil lug as well....Just curious. BTW its amazing the work you do. I have a friend that has a rifle you tuned up for him and its butter smooth and functions flawless. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Never seen any kind of benefit from it and it makes a barrel change a royal bitch on a finished gun. The one exception to this is an Anschutz 54 setup with a 690mm length barrel for ISSF stuff.

I have what may be a dumb question, but call it what you will I still need to know the answer, say someone tried to give the recoil lug slot in a stock a little more room, could I bed the action and fill the "extra space" in the lug slot and in essence fix that problem?

Chad,

Absolutely flawless bedding job. I'll never achieve anything close. Is your bedding epoxy mixture proprietary or would you be willing to share? I have seen some of your photos where your mixture is still wet and it looks like your mixture has much lower viscosity than the Devcon putty I am using.

I have what may be a dumb question, but call it what you will I still need to know the answer, say someone tried to give the recoil lug slot in a stock a little more room, could I bed the action and fill the "extra space" in the lug slot and in essence fix that problem?

Don't know why anyone "intentionally" would want to give the recoil lug "a little more room" (I use a layer of tape on the sides to create a gap for removal of the action)- but it's easy enough to prep and bed the lug area without disturbing the rest of the bedding job assuming you're confident the rest was done correctly and the receiver isn't stressed. If you don't want any epoxy in front of the lug, just block off that area. Grind out enough to allow for adequate epoxy thickness behind the lug; a skim coat here is likely to crack out. Chad makes a great point for not bedding in front of the lug, I do it only on long, heavy bulls with the first inch or so of the barrel cylinder to help mitigate the stress of cantilevering those telephone poles off the front of the receiver.

JMO, YMMV.