• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Beer?

AtlantaJohn

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Straight up people...what do you think?

I train pretty hard but love my beer. I lift, run, swim, and bike regularly but after a long hard workout ALWAYS like to relax with several beers. I can do without but really like to reward myself. Not a bodybuilder here but a good athlete that is pretty competitive and often places in races. No pro here but usually finish well. Just wondering if there were more like myself that like to train hard and drink hard? I know that there is a balance in things but you gotta live life each day and at the same time remember it ya know?

Cheers!

John

Re: Beer?

I agree, beer makes pretty much everything better. From cooling down to hanging with the inlaws. Not much else can take the edge off most any situation. It's pretty much gotta be our stand by, at least until they relegalize heroin.

Me too. A pint of beer will typically have between 100-200 calories and even a little more if you drink Guiness (less if you drink the nat's piss that comes in those 12oz bottles). Once you've sunk 5-6 that's getting on for a fair amount and I find it also makes me peckish so add food on top.

As long as you are training hard enough to have a net neutral position all is good. If I'm going out for a session I always get up early and go for a hard run. Nothing makes you feel more sh*t than that for the first 20 mins but once you've done it you feel great.

Yes even Spartins enjoyed life. We stay fit to enjoy life. Right?

I thought the only reason to train was so we could drink and get away with it. Was I missing something all this time?

in summary...I don't think that it hurts my training as long as I keep the beers after the workouts.

Although I must say that there is local 10k (Peachtree Road Race) that I do for fun and have a 4 year tradition of somehow getting a beer during the race...it is a large race and actually more of an event. It would be cool to have brews instead of gatorade or water at the aid stations!

I did the Peachtree four or five years ago. Non-competitive. I somehow finshed the race with 6-pack and two bloody mary's under my belt. I also finished just ahead of the mayor. Some feat that was. Every one I started the race with beat me by a longshot, but I bet I had the most fun.

Eddie

depends on your discipline... haven't drank for a couple years, out here in the middle of nowhere, there is no one to get drunk with!!!

Read the carbohydrates on the label and adjust intake accordingly if you are limiting carbs elsewhere. If drinking during exercise, remember alcohol is a diuretic and impedes the body's ability to absorb water. Adjust intake according to prior hydration and ambient conditions - i.e., not during a hard workout in July when sweating profusely.

The Noble Pils from Sam Adams has been released for the Spring and I can vouch for the 2011 batch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtlantaJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in summary...I don't think that it hurts my training as long as I keep the beers after the workouts.

Although I must say that there is local 10k (Peachtree Road Race) that I do for fun and have a 4 year tradition of somehow getting a beer during the race...it is a large race and actually more of an event. It would be cool to have brews instead of gatorade or water at the aid stations! </div></div>

we do that at a run during the strawberry fest. your not running much at the end, mostly stumbling

I did some research after I heard the negative effects alcohol has on the body. I learned alcohol prevents your body's ability to burn fat. It can last for some length of time (like 24 hours). I like my beer too, but I cut back.....a lot!!! I would limit your consumption if I were you. Maybe just drink on the weekends? You may see improvement in your run times.

I wouldn't drink beer while you train. Alcohol sets you back, and lowers your testosterone level. In addition, it keeps keeps the fat around your belly.

It's counterproductive. Serious trainning does not involve alcholol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtlantaJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in summary...I don't think that it hurts my training as long as I keep the beers after the workouts.

Although I must say that there is local 10k (Peachtree Road Race) that I do for fun and have a 4 year tradition of somehow getting a beer during the race...it is a large race and actually more of an event. It would be cool to have brews instead of gatorade or water at the aid stations! </div></div>

there is a race back home every thanksgiving day and it is common place to see 3-4 guy teams take turn running the race with a keg inside of a wheelbarrow

I hit the gym in the very early AM, and always lift stronger if I have a few (not more than 4 beers or 4 fingers) the night before. I think its all good in moderation, I am not a pro athlete but if I was maybe I would have a different opnion. I am certianly not going to enjoy life, even if that means I have to work a little harder to meet my goals.

How about these drunk races? Im down with that, like a 3K obstacle course that requires 24oz every K. With a prerace shotgun warm up. That would be awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSL1078</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I heard it lowers testosterone level too..... </div></div>http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html </div></div>

a few beers here and there is okay. a few beers everyday or a night of heavy drinking will set you back. energy level, strength, and motivation will be affected. I stopped drinking on my current bulk cycle, and I'm seeing good solid gains. I finally broke through my plateau. since I stopped drinking, my beer gut is nearly gone. drinking also gives you a bloated look.

I run D-1 track and i drink beer often and see no differences, people talk about gaining a bunch of weight from drinking beer but the weight really comes from the food you eat when you drink beer or the drunk munchies....my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the only reason to train was so we could drink and get away with it. Was I missing something all this time? </div></div>

Funny, I trained to date those cute little gymnasts with the tight buns . . . .

16767.jpg

But, beer is good too.

BMT

There is a simple answer to all this. We are not supposed to read to deep into this. If staying in shape is good and Beer is good then Beer= staying in shape. But they are both good so the question is kind of redundant. Just my simple thinking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me too. A pint of beer will typically have between 100-200 calories and even a little more if you drink Guiness (less if you drink the nat's piss that comes in those 12oz bottles).</div></div>

2011-03-03_14-01-31_358.jpg

I must defend my Guinness. 125 calories, 9.9g carbs, and it has protein!
If your training with the intent to be a top athlete you might want to limit the beer intake. But if your just trying to stay in shape so you can ENJOY life, partake all you want. But agreed, stay away from the horse (nat's?) piss.

I'd rather have the gymnasts with the tight buns . . . . Forget the beer.

train hard- yes
drink harder- yes!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjdm151</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me too. A pint of beer will typically have between 100-200 calories and even a little more if you drink Guiness (less if you drink the nat's piss that comes in those 12oz bottles).</div></div>

If your training with the intent to be a top athlete you might want to limit the beer intake. But if your just trying to stay in shape so you can ENJOY life, partake all you want. But agreed, stay away from the horse (nat's?) piss. </div></div>

I agree Guinness gets a bad rap for being much higher in calories and carbs. It's only slightly higher in those areas and well worth it in taste!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hit the gym in the very early AM, and always lift stronger if I have a few (not more than 4 beers or 4 fingers) the night before. I think its all good in moderation, I am not a pro athlete but if I was maybe I would have a different opnion. I am certianly not going to enjoy life, even if that means I have to work a little harder to meet my goals.

How about these drunk races? Im down with that, like a 3K obstacle course that requires 24oz every K. With a prerace shotgun warm up. That would be awesome! </div></div>

I like the way you operate sir. I'm going with this "beer makes me stonger" idea and i'm runnin' with it!

I'm in great shape, round is still a shape, right? Beer helps me stay in all those 9"-13" bipods when prone, if I lose my gut then I'll have to go and get all new 6"-9" bipods. Think of all the money I'm saving.

I like to sit on my back porch and drink a few Yuenglings after a long run. Never had one during a run though... Is the Peachtree known for drinking while running?

Moderation is the key, keep it 1-2 a day but that does not mean you can save up on the days and drink it all on Saturday lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjdm151</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me too. A pint of beer will typically have between 100-200 calories and even a little more if you drink Guiness (less if you drink the nat's piss that comes in those 12oz bottles).</div></div>

If your training with the intent to be a top athlete you might want to limit the beer intake. But if your just trying to stay in shape so you can ENJOY life, partake all you want. But agreed, stay away from the horse (nat's?) piss. </div></div>

Oh god your sig line makes me need a whole ton of beer

I wouldn't recommend it. Alcohol slows recovery time. At best, would recommend a small glass of wine after dinner for antioxidants.

DUB19K
Sergeant

Loc: Fort Stewart, Ga mmmmmmm did someone say beer?

+1

Every time I go to Savannah to visit the family I have to have a Yuengling. We use to get that for $12 for a case of cans when I was growing up in PA.

I used to track my beers and would run extra miles to burn of the extra calorie intake. Since getting married and having kids I don't count beers anymore. On a side note I gave up drinking for lent and have lost 5 lbs. Can't wait for lent to be over already have a 6 pack of Shinner Black Label in the fridge.

Beer mile...try mixing your two favorites. It is quite a sight to watch a bunch of college kids run attempt to run a fast mile and drink 4 beers while doing it.

For those who don't know, Beer Mile:

Start of race, chug a beer, run a lap, chug a beer, run a lap, chug a beer, run a lap, chug a beer, and run the last lap.

My mom (58) asked me how much beer was good/bad for a person to drink per day without gaining the weight? Cause she really watching things and works out everyday. "cause all the beer drinkers have them beer bellies" I said mom, think of a beer like a ham sandwich, one or two ham sandwiches a day won't hurt anyone. Now u start putting down 12 to 18 ham sandwiches a day ur going to get alittle belly!

Beer is counter productive to your training, but as long as you do not go over board. Just run an extra 10 min on the treadmill for each beer. If your extra time > 2 hours ... go to a meeting.