• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Begginner's Optic Help

bbpl

Minuteman
Jun 20, 2012
College Station, Texas
Hey guys im about to buy my remington 700 (my first rifle) and i was looking for a cheap yet reliable scope that can hold its zero while withstanding .308 cartridge. Im looking for this because i dont want to spend 1500$+ on scope YET, im waiting till i start my M40a3 project to start getting into the serious stuff. So if any of yall know of a good reliable brand that isnt very pricy, id like to keep it under 150$ at most 200$, please help me out, feel free to advice and suggest any and all things, im completely open to everything, ill apreciate it alot

thanks

alex

Re: Begginner's Optic Help

8541 Tactical Check out the budget precision build thread. There's a lot of great info. John goes by LoneWolfUSMC here on the hide. You might wan't to check out his posts to get a good amount of info on the subject.

There is ton's of info if you do a SnipersHide google search of the topic. Click here I did it for you

Under $200 then you are looking at a fixed power scope. I would highly recommend keeping your eye on the Optics For Sale section of SnipersHide. Members who were once in your shoes are regularly selling their equipment which is usually in pretty darn good condition. You will get the most for your money by purchasing used. When you outgrow it, you can likely resell it for almost no loss.

There's so many options out there, make a list of a bunch of scopes that will fill the purpose you want it for and you'll likely find one being sold in the next few days to a week.

Sorry I can't provide a specific recommendation for ya, I really don't have any experience with scopes in that price range.

Bushnell 3200 tactical 10x - find one used here on the hide for about 175

You will be "stuck" with moa/mil but IMHO it's about the best optic in your price range.

What he sais! Bushnell 3200 Tac. 10x sounds like what you are looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lafayette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell 3200 tactical 10x - find one used here on the hide for about 175

You will be "stuck" with moa/mil but IMHO it's about the best optic in your price range. </div></div>

Midway has the mil-mil version, but I like the Weaver 3-10x Mil-mil.

The Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 MilDot are great little scope for the price.
http://www.cstactical.com/OPTICS/Rifle-Scopes/Bushnell/Elite-3200-10x401-MilDot.html
Elite_3200_10x40_4c40f202092d5.jpg

We may have a used one laying around if you would like me to look for it I will.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bbpl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys im about to buy my remington 700 (my first rifle) and i was looking for a cheap yet reliable scope that can hold its zero while withstanding .308 cartridge. Im looking for this because i dont want to spend 1500$+ on scope YET, im waiting till i start my M40a3 project to start getting into the serious stuff. So if any of yall know of a good reliable brand that isnt very pricy, id like to keep it under 150$ at most 200$, please help me out, feel free to advice and suggest any and all things, im completely open to everything, ill apreciate it alot

thanks

alex </div></div>

If its your first rifle, may I suggest to you a .22lr and the above mentioned scope? It will help far more than a .308 for a first rifle.

Im getting the .308 cause im hoping to join the USMC and go to sniper school, so id like to start learning long range shooting, that way itll give me a little advantage and ill have some background knowledge and experienced when it comes to it, but thank you. And it's also gonna be the base for my M40a3, instead of spending 15000$ on a McMillan M40a3, ill just spend around 2000$ building it (without the scope). And thank you everyone else, if any of yall have any scope like the one im asking please let me know!

first thing you should do it subscribe to the on-line training here on the site. It will give you a strong foundation for the fundementals so you <span style="text-decoration: underline">do not develop any bad habits </span>before you go into the military.

i found a bushnell banner scope for around 160$-179$, is that bushnell model any good? It was a 6-24x40 Mil-Dot scope.

Get a 22 and start with the basics. The military will teach you the way they want you to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Napsters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 22 and start with the basics. The military will teach you the way they want you to shoot.</div></div>

+1 on this

I noticed a lot of guys in boot camp who shot really well had never shot before its not necessarily because the experienced guys were bad shots but that they weren't used to the way the instructors wanted them to shoot. The marine core puts a lot of pride in and has a long history of training every marine to be a rifleman. Plus if you plan to join the marines I don't believe they have a lot of wait to get it you might as well just go join up and go from there. If your not old enough to join the marines your not old enough to buy a gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Napsters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 22 and start with the basics. The military will teach you the way they want you to shoot. </div></div>

I agree with this. Focus on basics before trying to learn long distance shooting. If you are really set on a 308 that's fine but don't spend too much. Get a rifle and a cheap optic, something used and then shoot shorter distances working on basics. In time you will develop a feel for what exactly you want out of a rifle and scope.

Im not planning on becoming a marksman at 1000+ yds any time soon, i was just gonna get the remington adl .308 which is just 380$ with a cheap scope to just start getting the feel for it, and this wont be the first time i shoot a gun either, itll just be my first rifle that's mine (technically). And ive been trying to learn and shoot the way the marine's/military and marksman do, ive watched and followed nearly all training/informational video's on military and marksman so i have a pretty good idea on the skills and tactics, im not saying i know em all or am a pro, just that i have the background knowledge and instruction, and im 17, i dont turn 18 till next april, im just anxious and want to start shooting and get the feel cause i have an eye condition that could render me the chance to enter, but if i can prove that im capable enough and the condition has no effect on me then ill be able to get in, the medical staff will give me a pass

I know this is an "Beginner's Optic Help" thread but since others chimed in on caliber options I thought I'd add my thoughts also.

I can see your point in wanting rifle in CF since some consider a 22 a sissy gun or for kids but a 22RF lets you get in a lot more trigger time and you'll be building on all the basics that apply to all CF long guns . You will have to learn to dial elevation and wind the same as a CF but in distances much easier to find locally.

You start consistently dinging a 6", 8", 10" or even smaller circle at 300 yards with a 22LR and you'll get attention from everyone. Sorting thru various brands of ammo and testing for groups near and far will help you learn to find what your gun likes and also what works best at different distances. Starting at 25 yards and ending at 200 or 300 and making all the correct dope adjustments and getting first round hits will carry on to whatever form of shooting you pursue.

A secondary bonus that many don't consider is you'll be shooting lots of rounds with ZERO consideration regarding recoil and that will carry on to any larger caliber you'll move up to. Not creating a bad habit is relatively easy, getting rid of one takes a lot of effort and work.

Also agree 100% on the Bushnell 3200 tactical 10X scope, be great for a 22RF and the price can't be beat for the features.

Topstrap