• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beginner help

Dross119

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2018
Nevada
Looking at getting into long range shooting but mostly hunting. I was wondering what everyone thought about what caliber i should look into. I am planning to hunt deer, antelope and elk. I have my eye on the 338 lapua, 338 edge, 7mm STW or a 6.5x284 norma. Thanks.

300 win mag is a pretty good all around longer-range shooting and hunting round, tons of factory ammo choices out there if you don't reload.

the prob with the four you listed is you may not find them at the local general store when you're hunting out in the middle of nowhere. that said, i have a 7stw i've used for years on whitetail and plan on taking to my first elk hunt this fall. a ton of energy out to 400 yards should get the job done.

Reactions: Oregon542
i certainly wouldnt want to learn at 5-6 bucks a trigger press. 300 win mag is a viable choice with readily available quality factory ammo until you get your reloading going. and like ^^^^^ he said, .308 is always a great place to start.

I say the same thing, 300wm for long range hunting. Tons of factory ammo, cheap to shoot compared to other long action magnums, especially any 338's. Can get light loaded 130-150 gr for antelope all the way up to full power 210+ gr for elk.

To practice long range shooting you're gonna want a short action, like they said 308 is great, or at least a non magnum long action cartridge. Will be much cheaper to shoot, and much easier on your shoulder. $2+ a bullet and the recoil of a 300 are going to get old real fast when out practicing.

Out of calibers you listed, 6.5x284. The others you listed are too much gun for deer and antelope in my opinion.
I run a 6.5x284 at 3013 ft/sec with 140 Bergers. The 6.5x284 is a whole lot more pleasant to shoot and I feel you will be more accurate with the lighter recoiling 6.5x284.

While not too salty, I have to agree with @BOLTRIPPER on the .308. When I was considering the long range / precsision plunge, it was between .308 and .300 WinMag. What's the saying? The best way to cure a flinch is not to develop one or something along those lines. The .308 is super easy to reload for; there must be a bazzillion component combinations and most of them are readily available.

Most recently I jumped on the 6.5 Creedmoor band wagon. It was just an obscure, little known cartridge when I was deciding between the two 30 cal staples. IMHO, considering any of the 6.5s is well worth it: 6.5 Creed, 6.5 x 47 Lapua, 6.5 Swede, or .260 Rem.

Part of the fun is making the decision on which way to go. Good luck!

For hunting pretty much anything smaller than a Kodiak Bear, I think the .30-'06 has richly earned a stellar reputation. Readily available, it has the accuracy and terminal performance to be highly reliable. Back before the .308, it was the dominant LR competitive chambering, but has been succeeded by smaller and small chamberings. The .308 is OK for larger (but not enormous) game, while the .223 has dropped out of the hotter contention for LR. Although not really popular as a Competitive/Target chambering, the .270 pretty much heads the list for deer hunting. Going bigger than the .30-'06 may seem like a good idea, but it makes for some excuses to do things that may not be wise, like letting the awesome terminal energy serve as a substitute for good stalking skills, and encouraging mediocre shot placement.

Like nearly all of these kinds of questions, the central theme seems to be about getting it all done in one purchase, and bending a single firearm to do more things than might be wise to ask of it. The real solution is two rifles, a hunting rifle, and a good, reliable precision shooting/training rifle; and often the needs of the two disciplines will conflict to make a hybrid less then optimal for either.

Precision shooting requires a lot of shooting for training, and ammunition for large game-capable chamberings will tend to be to pricey and generate more recoil than is desirable for shooting in the volume that works best for training. For this, I like the .223, easy to find, not overly pricey, and a good place to start for developing a handloading skill set.

The ideal trainer will tend to have a longer barrel, and be heavier, neither of which attributes will make it a desirable rifle for hunting in the field. The hunter rifle should be lighter, shorter, and be better suited to easy manipulation and carry. I suggest the 270 for this, as it's about as much rifle as as recoil will allow for the training that also accompanies hunting.

Maybe not what you were expecting to hear, but I really do think that this is the wiser course.

Greg

Reactions: popeye089
How far do you think you'll be shooting animals? What does "long range" mean to you?

The comment regarding: hunting including elk get 308 and if you're not hunting elk then 6.5 Creedmoor is poor advice. 6.5 carries equivalent energy with a better sectional density. Both will have essentially same range capabilities, same energy inside 600, less recoil and better factory ammo options with a 6.5 Creedmoor and less wind and drop than 308 (most important factor in hunting is hitting your target in the right place). If deciding 6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 the decision is easy, regardless of the intent to hunt elk.

The comment regarding: hunting including elk get 308 and if you're not hunting elk then 6.5 Creedmoor is poor advice. 6.5 carries equivalent energy with a better sectional density. Both will have essentially same range capabilities, same energy inside 600, less recoil and better factory ammo options with a 6.5 Creedmoor and less wind and drop than 308 (most important factor in hunting is hitting your target in the right place). If deciding 6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 the decision is easy, regardless of the intent to hunt elk.

Having had target and hunting rifles in 6.5 mm calibers (260 Remington, 6.5X55) before 6.5 mm was a thing I have to agree.

I have a 308 at the moment and it will become a 6.5 Creedmoor as soon as Criterion Howa nut prefits are available for sale.

Looking at getting into long range shooting but mostly hunting. I was wondering what everyone thought about what caliber i should look into. I am planning to hunt deer, antelope and elk. I have my eye on the 338 lapua, 338 edge, 7mm STW or a 6.5x284 norma. Thanks.

Is this your first/only rifle? Just wondering your experience level.

it may be cheaper and less expensive to shoot......Heroin between your toes.......just sayin

Not a whole lotta difference between the 6.5 Swede, Creed and .260 rem. 6.5 Swede has killed a boat load of moose and elk sized animals in Europe for 100 years. I wouldn't think twice about my 6.5 Creemoore against an elk. In fact, I'll be putting in for a permit this year.

1 bullet choice aside from hunting, get a good 308 or 223 bolt rifle. the barrel life is great and good match ammo easy to find.
2 buy good match ammo to practice with.
3 buy the best scope you can afford with a solid reputation and use good scope bases and scope rings

I have seen plenty of people skimp and go subpar equipment and the inconsistency of said equipment hindered their growth and learning curves. Some people want the tools to do what they are not capable of. Now this doesn't mean you have to break the bank for good equipment. The industry has made leaps and bounds as far as quality and consistency of that quality. There are plenty of fan boys here for this company and that company. My advice, try everything you can when you can. Go to the store, ask a friend, make connects here, turn knobs, dry fire triggers, shoulder a rifle. get into realistic positions and see if it feels right. Sometimes the best looking girl at the party is the worst date for you. Take some advice here with a grain of salt. I've read a lot of bad information here because people regurgitate info without truly understanding it or ever having used it.

Remember, everyone has good days and bad days of shooting. Don't get frustrated and always, always remember you are always a student no matter how long you have been shooting. Some people will teach you things that change your way of thinking, others watch them, don't say anything and remember what not to do.

Shooting is the easy part, watch and learn how to read and call wind. If you make a bad call re-examine the wind and look for what you missed. There are often more than one wind channel down range.

And for god sake learn how to call a shot. I've seen some shitty dialogue and people swear they are doing good business. Any questions feeel free to pm me. Some know me here some don't. But what do I know? I'm just a high pressure welder:)

Oh yeah, record yourself shooting and watch the videos. See if you are consistent and making good trigger pulls all the time. I run a 2.5-3 lb trigger on all my rifles. It doesn't work for some people but if it's a work gun or hunting gun, better safe than sorry. Last thing you need or want is some feather trigger in your gloved hand or adrenaline pumpinng and you can't feel the wall. I know some guys that use them but they are seasoned boys and gals. What works for me may not work for you. Again, see what works for you. Good luck brother, and always shoot straight and true (y)

good practice makes good habits
shooting just to shoot means jack and :poop:
always have a purpose and a goal in mind
make a task, understand what the conditions are and make a standard. Is the standard plausible. You can't ask your equipment or yourself to meet a standard that neither are capable of. Make a plan to reach said goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: reubenski
No it is not my first rifle. I have been hunting and shooting for almost 20 years. Ive hunted in new york most of my life but have moved out to nevada for work so i shoot longer ranges here. Im not going to shoot out rediculous long ranges until i have practiced a lot and are extremely comfortable. Right now i am comfortable to 500 yards but want to make sure when im ready i can shoot further.

For me, I usually hunt with a 308 and have taken big mulies and elk with it. My next favorite hunting cartridge after that is the good ol 7mm Rem Mag with a 168 gr VLD.... No real reason to have to deal with all the extra recoil, costs, etc of a big 30 or 338 caliber if you’re just hunting deer or elk sized game. 6.5, 308, 7mm, will all do the job.

I think the choice of rifle and optics is probably more important than caliber for you. Any of the above mentioned cartridges have enough power and are accurate enough to kill anything in Nevada out to 500 yards. However the availability of each of them is different depending on which rifle you choose. I would start with the rifle first, making sure you have enough $$ left for good quality optics. How much money you will also need for reloading may depend on the cartridge choice. For 223 or 308 you can practice with military or low cost reloads and just buy 1-2 boxes of quality stuff for hunting. For the others you may want to get into reloading earlier.

Do lots of research on the rifle and available cartridges, there are many choices. Are you recoil sensitive? (that may rule out the 300WM, for example) Are you strong enough to carry a heavier than normal rifle while hunting? (heavier guns recoil less can be a little more accurate than lighter guns) How is your vision? (you may want to adjust your budget with more $ for the scope and less for the rifle) Are you willing to purchase a used rifle? (plenty of used 308's and 300WM's available, not so many 6.5CM's or 6.5x284).

Choose wisely. Good luck, feel free to post any questions. BTW I'm still in NY, good for you for getting out.

I am not recoil sensitive. I shoot a 375 ruger for whitetail as well as 12 gauge slugs. A heavier rifle doesnt bother me either. I can hike them all day if need be. Im not opposed to a used rifle as long as it wasnt beat up and my vision is excellent. Where abouts in new york? Im from way upstate but the military took me away from there 10 years ago. Lol

Lower Hudson Valley. Compared to "way upstate" it's like being on another planet.

If you can handle a heavy rifle with substantial recoil, and your eyes are good, there are many rifle/cartridge combos that will work out to 500 yards. I personally would not limit myself to a 223 or a 308 only because there are better options which you could handle.

The next question is (it is always a question) - what is your total budget? From that, subtract what u need to get into reloading, split the rest in half - half for the scope and mounts, half for the rifle. Then start looking,