• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

beginner in ARs question

allghilliedup04

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Salem, Oregon
Im familiar with ARs to a point. I've handled a lot of them and shot them plenty, however, never built or bought one. What would be a good AR to consider to start with for accuracy? (provided i float the barrel and replace the gas block).

I would like to stay under 800-1k for the initial purchase and then upgrade as i go.

Re: beginner in ARs question

In all honesty... You can get a quality AR15 for a cheaper price. Do a search... if your able to assemble one then you might want to look at MIDWAYUSA and look at the parts kits and just put a lower together.

Worst case senario you decide you DONT like the AR platform... YES IT DOES HAPPEN FOR SOME....but then your not out a ton of money and can move it pretty easily.

I think the parts kits are about $460... plus the cost of a stripped lower $75... = AROUND $550...

Not a bad way to get started and get your feet wet ..

But thats my .02 worth..

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

You can build a plinker carbine that will suffice for most duties an AR is capable of shy of the DMR type for around $1000.00
a LOT depends on your choice of stock, trigger, upper.
here is a good place to start
http://www.model1sales.com/

Why not just get a Colt 6920? They're going new for around $999 if you look around.
Or buy the lower of your choice (there's a lot of good ones for around $50-80, like PSA or Spikes'), buy a good quality LPK, and then go to BCM's site and pick up the upper of your choice, (and one of their BCGs while you're at it).
Can be done for under $1k if you shop around a bit.

Any of the above options will be just as accurate as any other suggestion here, BUT instead of having a "plinker" quality rifle, you will have something of much higher quality and reliability to work with.

I second the Colt 6920. They are great quality and hold their value and its in the price range.

I just had a 7.62x39 AR with a LAR Grizzly OPS-4 ambi side charging receiver built for me as I've not done one before. The OPS-4 receiver comes standard as a 5.56, so that could work for you (they also sell uppers). Mine has a 16" free floated barrel, YH forearm, RRA operator a2 stock, match innerds, etc. Anyhow, the build is rock solid and is very accurate with surplus at 100yds. The OPS-4 bolt carrier is built without forward assist groves, so it shouldn't gunk up, and it's very tight- so it gets smoother as you break it in.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the input. Building one from scratch would be right up my alley. I guess my main concern would be the upper and a quality barrel for a decent price. Think all can be done for under 1k?

If you're willing to settle for milspec furniture and trigger you can do it, a match grade barrel and free float forearm together will run you five to six hundred. You should be able to get a stripped upper and lower and a milspec parts kit for less than five. Can't speak for everything model1 makes, I got a complete upper thru them, its not a bad shooter not ready for a hi power match either, but the price was right.

What would you recommended as good accurate barrel for the money? (Assuming its already free floated and replaced gas block)

Heard good things about White Oaks Armament ,and Rainer Arms match barrels not top end, but definitively not bottom of the barrel.

My build was about $1,150 and you know I paid them to put it together, so I think you could do it for 1k in 5.56. Here's my parts list FYI-

LAR OPS-4 Ambi Upper w/ bolt and carrier($295)
7.62x39 Alloy Superbolt($100)- You don't need to spend this
DSA ZM-4 Lower($90)
RRA Lower Parts w/ two stage trigger($129)
RRA Ambi selector switch($25)
RRA Operator A2 Stock($125)
Spikes ST-T2 heavy buffer($29.95)- You may not need this
YHM Low Profile Gas Block($22)
YHM Smooth Forearm($115)
ER Shaw 16" barrel

Hope this helps.

What are you looking for?
Cartridge? Length? SS or CM? Contour? Button or cut? Weight? Coating/finish? Price range? Intended use?

Best for the money could be low end or high end.

Best bench accuracy?
Best offhand accuracy?
Best for carrying/handling?
Longest life?
Least maintenance?
Most concealable?
Longest range?
Lowest wind deflection?
Ammo cost?

You can't have everything at once.

lou made some good points,not to mention some others.......

WOA does make an excellent barrel for accuracy in a price sensitive range.

if you can afford a bit more, i'd go w/ a Noveske.

+1 on white oak, also rainier arms..woa turns some of their barrels

+1 on white oak, also rainier arms..woa turns some of their barrels

Smith and Wesson M&P Sport model - around $650
Kelly Firearms - M4 style w/ chrome lined barrel $600
Del-ton M4 - $750+

Or, you could build one but $500-600 is about as cheap as you can do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the input. Building one from scratch would be right up my alley. I guess my main concern would be the upper and a quality barrel for a decent price. Think all can be done for under 1k?
</div></div>

From someone who has a few AR's and has put togther a few I would recommend putting one togther. There is a lot of good quailty parts.

As for a good accurate upper I would recommend the Rock River heavy barrel uppers with the Wilson barrel and the wylde chambers. These are good accurate uppers for the price.

Agreed: Wylde chamber. Consider a Holliger upper (WOA).

Rainier arms shillen match barrel in 223 Wylde works great for me.

I had it melonited and hopefully it will lasts a long time..

Rainier arms shillen match barrel in 223 Wylde works great for me.

I had it melonited and hopefully it will lasts a long time..

Sorry for the double post. I just got iPhone.t

i say build. i am about to give it a shot.

i just ordered a lower kit from palmetto state armory and the upper is on the way! mainly Magpul stuff and total was $700

MOE lover build kit $139
PSA mid length chrome lined upper $467
BAD Lever and 30rd PMAG window $45
stripped lower $60
in OD green

lower is built and upper is in the mail!

very easy to build,don't be afraid of that! directions on their site too

There are a lot of opinions, but sut a safe bet is to get a "major" manufactuer.

Colt always makes a solid buy.
S&W has entered the market and done very well.
Armalite, Rock River, Spikes, Bushmaster, DPMS, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, LMT all make good guns of varying quality. Some are better than others, but all serve as a good starting point.

For cost/quality, I'd go S&W but if anyone gave me any of the above brands, I'd shoot the snot out of it.

ALthough many people recommend building--My recomendation would be against that.

One thing you can do to save money is buy lower and upper separate. Then you can get directly what you want. Start with a S&W lower and then go hit Bravo Company for a 16" Free Float upper.

First time post, but I think anything from BCM/DD/Ranier Arms/LMT/Colt would be great. If you look around you can usually find something within $1000. Personally, I would increase your budget to 1,400. Opens up a few more dialed in options from all of the major companies.

i think you should do your own build if your looking to have an accurate rifle you enjoy shooting. If you want to buy something and then sell later then i would say buy one off the shelf. If you buy one off the shelf then up grade parts your going to get in deep and still have just an average rifle! just my opinion