• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beginner long range shooter please help

futurerider103

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Springfield Mo
Right now I'm only shooting at 200yds buy I want to stretch it out to 400yds. I'm looking into 3 different guns. Savage 110 tactical in either a .308 or .223 or CZ 527 varmint in .223. I'm leaning towards the .308 savage but if a get a .223 I can share ammo with my current SIG 556. I have a spare Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 for whichever I go with but what would your recommendations be. Either gun will be bought used to keep costs down.

Re: Beginner long range shooter please help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: futurerider103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now I'm only shooting at 200yds buy I want to stretch it out to 400yds. I'm looking into 3 different guns. Savage 110 tactical in either a .308 or .223 or CZ 527 varmint in .223. I'm leaning towards the .308 savage but if a get a .223 I can share ammo with my current SIG 556. I have a spare Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 for whichever I go with but what would your recommendations be. Either gun will be bought used to keep costs down.</div></div>

What precludes you from using the rifle you are shooting now?

I want a bolt action gun as well being the bolt action is going to be way more account than my SIG 556 at longer range. Btw I pick up my Savage 10fp in .308 on friday. It has only 30rnds through it and a trigger job and an aftermarket ckeek weld

Gear doesn't make a shooter... learning to apply the proper fundamentals is what makes a great shooter. Proper techniques can be applied to any weapon system...... bolt action, semi auto, or a belt fed machine gun.

Shoot the gun you have and master the basics....then upgrade if you want.

Kind regards,
Jared

My SIG556 from the factory specs to pass QC is 3moa shooting skills or not it's not an accurate long range gun. Fun none the less

Well, it looks like you've made your decision. Do, however, heed JBomb's advice. And, should you not know it, LR and SR have identical requirements, that's to say, marksmanship for either is the same, LR just requires perfection of it all for the best results, it's an angular thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, it looks like you've made your decision. Do, however, heed JBomb's advice. And, should you not know it, LR and SR have identical requirements, that's to say, marksmanship for either is the same, LR just requires perfection of it all for the best results, it's an angular thing. </div></div>I have the marksmanship on the way(by no way am I the best but I'm decent)This is my .22lr Savage btv
IMAG0212.jpg
Besides I have been wanting to get into a bigger bolt action rifle for awhile and the this will be the right time and price to do so. Besides why not get another gun there are times I just don't want to shoot the semi auto as much as my buddies bolt actoins

Master the basic's and shoot and then shoot some more

So easy to get caught up in the equipment game. Seen great shooters with average equipment win matches while the high dollar guys that don't put in the time are in the middle of the pack. Get decent equipment and shoot shoot shoot and shoot some more but make each shot a learning experience and not just sending rounds downrange.

Good luck, have fun and don't get discouraged while you are learning.

Topstrap

308 was a good choice. It will be more than adequate to achieve what it sounds like you are looking for.