• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Beginner looking at Gunsmithing lathe

dirtking

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2010
Nebraska
Hello everyone. The tech school I attended for college is having an auction in a few weeks and this is the list of lathes and mills on the auction. Looking for advice on these machines as far as gunsmithing.

American Pacemaker, Mdl 5K284D58, 16” x 54”, 7-1/2 HP, 3PH
Clausing, Mdl 5914, 12” x 34”, 2 HP, 3PH
LeBlond, 13” x 20”, ¾ HP, 3PH
LeBlond, 15” x 40” , 1 HP, 3PH
South Bend, Mdl CL187Z, 10” x 20”, 1 HP, 3PH
South Bend, Mdl 183C, 14” x 36”, 1-1/2 HP, 3PH
South Bend, Mdl A, 14” x 28”, 1 HP, 3PH
South Bend, Mdl 8113C, 13” x 40”, 1 HP, 3PH

Vertical Mills
Bridgeport Vertical, Mdl 27, 9” x 32” Table, 3PH
Cincinnati Vertical, Mdl 80 205-12, 9” x 32” Table, 3PH
Ramco Universal, Mdl SMG2, 10” x 43” Table, 1/2 HP
Feed Motor & 2 HP Motor, 3PH

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Beginner looking at Gunsmithing lathe

I would chose the South bend CL187 Z lathe, and the Bridgeport mill. The lathe is a heavy ten I believe with a 1 3/8 inch spindle diameter which is just fine for barrel work. Double check before you buy though.

All of those lathes are good, though I'd pass on the 20" between centers models.

I'd go for the one in the nicest condition, or with the best tooling, or perhaps glass scales/DRO.

If everything else was equal and it simply came down to name brand, I'd choose a Clausing, but both LeBlonde and SouthBend make great machines.

Ok thanks for the help! Is there anything internally that i can look for as far the machine loosing percision. These are pretty old machines but have read some of the old ones are pretty good machines. Dont want to drop alot on something that is gunna be a lemon!

I would look closely at this one.

South Bend, Mdl CL187Z, 10” x 20”, 1 HP, 3PH

It sounds like a tool room model. Very handy.
Make sure it has a D1-4 spindle and hardened ways. Even if you eventually get a larger lathe you will want to keep this one. If you can get it for $2500 or less and it is in good shape, it would be a bargain. I wouldn't be sad to have a LeBlond either depending on what model. The Clausing doesn't interest me unless it has Colchester after it.

The pacemaker is a nice lathe but a 7 1/2 hp 16" is a beast. Depends on how much room you have.

Any of the mills will probably work fine. Look for the one in the best condition.

Ok when i went to college it was a split between welding and machine shop. So i didn't get a machine degree. I learned alot and want to get back into it but it has been 7 to 8 years since i was making chips. Im not looking to make a living at it at this point more of a hobby for myself and friends at this point. How do i tell if it is a D1-4 spindle and hardened ways. Sorry for all the ?s but trying to get as much info as possible.

Thanks!

The D1-4 spindle will have three 3/8 square drive cam locks that hold the chuck on. The other option is a threaded spindle.

It should have a tag or sticker on the front right end of the frame below the tailstock that indicates hardened ways. It should show little to no ware on the ways if it has them.

Post some pics if you can.

I will try to get pics of the machines and post them up if i can.

Thanks

For rifle barreling there's nothing wrong with 20 inches between centers because you go through the head stock. On the heavy ten, you can chamber very short barrels. That's a nice feature. I have a 13-40 Clausing Colchester, and a SB Heavy Ten. If I had to give up one, it would be like asking which one of my kids to give up. I really can't think of any gun work requiring a lathe that the SB Heavy Ten can't do.

Sounds like there is some promise for the lathes on the auction. Now to see what kind of shape they are in and what kind of price they bring. What would be a good price to pay if they are in good shape?

Thanks