• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Beginner precision scope

BeardedNewGuy

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2020
South Central PA
I bought a rem 700 in 6.5CM. Did some trigger work to it. Krg bravo. And put on a vortex crossfire 2. Well with like 100 rounds thru it my scope decided it doesn’t want to work past 100 yards. No matter what I do I can’t get it to focus. Going to send in for warranty but I think it’s time to upgrade. I’m looking for a scope for precision shooting. Entry level. Something easy to use and may enter some local shoots with. My local range is 500 yards but I plan shooting 1,000 someday. I’d like FFP. Around 750ish. Don’t mind buying used. A good field of view and clarity. I understand MOA but open to learn MILs. I been looking at vortex or athlon.

You could get a vortex viper gen 2 for that, they show up on the site often in that price range. I have a 5-25 on a 22 creedmoor there pretty decent scopes.

You could get a vortex viper gen 2 for that, they show up on the site often in that price range. I have a 5-25 on a 22 creedmoor there pretty decent scopes.
I been searching a little for something like that used. Just open to other options. I liked the other vortex I have but this one kinda put a bad taste in my mouth. Don’t want to spend the money and 3 months later it happens again.

Reactions: 338dude
I hear ya but the crossfire is like their cheapest optics line, I’ve used my razor gen 2 for about 3 years without issue and I’ve had the gen 2 viper for quite awhile as well, the nightforce optics are great also you won’t have complaints with them either.

I hear ya but the crossfire is like their cheapest optics line, I’ve used my razor gen 2 for about 3 years without issue and I’ve had the gen 2 viper for quite awhile as well, the nightforce optics are great also you won’t have complaints with them either.
I agree. It’s their cheap line. I originally bought it cause it was available locally and cheap. That way I could shoot the gun right away. With corona I had some time on my hands. Didn’t expect it to escalate this fast but it did. Now I have some funds saved up so I feel it’s time for a better piece of glass.

Reactions: 338dude
I'm certain Doug at Cameralandny would be more than willing to help you and will have a nice option in that price range. Give him a call.

I recently bought a Bushnell LRTS from Camera Land and like the scope. I previously bought a Bushnell DMR and liked the reticle. I'd recommend either, both come with the G3 reticle which is simple and works. I also have a Nightforce SHV F1 which is a little above your budget but I recommend. As mentioned earlier, find a used one on the PX.

There have been a couple of vortex tactical Diamondbacks on the PX. Great scopes for the price. Unless you leary on the brand.

I recently bought a Bushnell LRTS from Camera Land and like the scope. I previously bought a Bushnell DMR and liked the reticle. I'd recommend either, both come with the G3 reticle which is simple and works. I also have a Nightforce SHV F1 which is a little above your budget but I recommend. As mentioned earlier, find a used one on the PX.
I think I’m gonna keep an eye out for a used one. Get my vortex fixed and use it for now till I find a good deal.

CameraLandNY
Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18
Or
Steiner PX4i 4-16

This. Two of the best IMHO in your price range. Open box deals at cameraland with free shipping meet the budget too.

I'd look for a used Athlon Ares ETR UHD 4.5-30x56, it's full featured and really an outstanding scope! Look up the specs on it compared to the other scopes mentioned in this thread.
SHV is only 14x and 5 mils per revolution.
PST2 has a dismal amount of elevation travel.
Glass, fit, finish, and feel are exceptional in the ETR! 30x and daylight bright illume!!!! That illume is so cool when shooting on black target bulls or black painted steel, or in shaded areas during the day, as well as when the mag is dialed down low!

Just more tools in the box with this scope.

I'd look for a used Athlon Ares ETR UHD 4.5-30x56, it's full featured and really an outstanding scope! Look up the specs on it compared to the other scopes mentioned in this thread.
SHV is only 14x and 5 mils per revolution.
PST2 has a dismal amount of elevation travel.
Glass, fit, finish, and feel are exceptional in the ETR! 30x and daylight bright illume!!!! That illume is so cool when shooting on black target bulls or black painted steel, or in shaded areas during the day, as well as when the mag is dialed down low!

Just more tools in the box with this scope.
Thanks man. I’m gonna look into one of them. I’m trying to research and find a good option.

You could follow the golden rule of the hide that I see a lot. Buy once cry once. Depending on the situation it may be much more benefitial to go "all in" early on then take it in stages. But I would agree that the Athlon Ares is very nice as is the Vortex Viper.

You could follow the golden rule of the hide that I see a lot. Buy once cry once. Depending on the situation it may be much more benefitial to go "all in" early on then take it in stages. But I would agree that the Athlon Ares is very nice as is the Vortex Viper.
I been thinking about this as well. I might get my one warrantied and then save up to buy something.

I would watch the used scopes. There was a dmr 2 for like 850. Thar would be a good pick up. brownells mpo at 1k would be good.
right now in that price range you can go a lotta different ways
new pst 2 (call Scott at liberty) 3-15
used scope (dmr 2, used gen 1 razor, used night force (make sure fflp)
kick your budget up to 1.5k used mk 5, atacr 4-16, gen 2 razor

Reactions: wb00757
I'm getting a RPR delivered in a few days, and got a nice deal on a used Ares BTR here in the PX. Hoping to have everything together by the 25th, as I'll have an opportunity to reach out to 1200 yds, (first time past about 150, so should be interesting!)

I'm getting a RPR delivered in a few days, and got a nice deal on a used Ares BTR here in the PX. Hoping to have everything together by the 25th, as I'll have an opportunity to reach out to 1200 yds, (first time past about 150, so should be interesting!)
What scope is it and how much you asking.

I would be careful. The turrets Had a habit of getting out of alignment especially if you overtightened the scope rings. The upside is my 4-16 pst 1 went out last year and they sent me a new pst 2 3-15. So it’s a tough call, if I got a screaming deal on I would

Reactions: BeardedNewGuy
What scope is it and how much you asking.
I'm not selling, I just purchased it used from someone here on the forum. FWIW, my stepson just got a Bushnell Elite DMRII from Cameraland, seems to be a real solid scope if you want to step up a little...they have on with the G3 reticle for $900. Otherwise there was another Ares BTR listed for about $650 in the PX

Yeah, replace your Vortex that doesn't work with another Vortex that won't work. Solid advice.

I'd grab a used Bushnell DMR, SWFA SSHD, NF SHV, or a Burris XTRII.

I see the trend here is Vortex. I’ll mix it up a bit and say the Leupold VX-3i LRP . I remember seeing one or two BNIB in the PX for $750 or less.

I bought a rem 700 in 6.5CM. Did some trigger work to it. Krg bravo. And put on a vortex crossfire 2. Well with like 100 rounds thru it my scope decided it doesn’t want to work past 100 yards. No matter what I do I can’t get it to focus. Going to send in for warranty but I think it’s time to upgrade. I’m looking for a scope for precision shooting. Entry level. Something easy to use and may enter some local shoots with. My local range is 500 yards but I plan shooting 1,000 someday. I’d like FFP. Around 750ish. Don’t mind buying used. A good field of view and clarity. I understand MOA but open to learn MILs. I been looking at vortex or athlon.
Contact vortex. See if they would be willing to give you a credit towards a 5-25 strike eagle. If not. Return your scope, get the replacement and sell it.
The strike eagle checks all the boxes for a new shooter wanting to enter the PRS game.
The Bushnell lrts is an excellent scope, it is a higher class optic than the strike eagle or PST.

Anything wrong with gen 1 viper pst

My fathers Gen 1 viper has been a turd. It's been back for warranty twice now, wont hold zero after a while. He shoots maybe 100 rounds a year so I'm not sure what its deal is. My cousin however has not had any issues with his. It's been humped all around the mountains of Idaho, UT,MT. It has a few elk and deer under its belt.

I prefer my Gen 2 viper any day of the week over the Gen 1. In my limited experience and skill the Gen 2 is a big upgrade in every single way for just a few more $$$.

I'm not selling, I just purchased it used from someone here on the forum. FWIW, my stepson just got a Bushnell Elite DMRII from Cameraland, seems to be a real solid scope if you want to step up a little...they have on with the G3 reticle for $900. Otherwise there was another Ares BTR listed for about $650 in the PX
I misread your original message. I’ll keep that in mind.

Contact vortex. See if they would be willing to give you a credit towards a 5-25 strike eagle. If not. Return your scope, get the replacement and sell it.
The strike eagle checks all the boxes for a new shooter wanting to enter the PRS game.
The Bushnell lrts is an excellent scope, it is a higher class optic than the strike eagle or PST.
I’ll try that. Never thought about that.

Yeah, replace your Vortex that doesn't work with another Vortex that won't work. Solid advice.

I'd grab a used Bushnell DMR, SWFA SSHD, NF SHV, or a Burris XTRII.
Why would a viper gen 2 not work there’s lots of guys running them, it’s been great for me so has my gen 2 razor . The gen 2 vipers are a lot more scope than the crossfire.

How many Vortex scopes (or other brands) have you personally had fail? Circumstances?

OP: the Gen-2 Vortex Viper PST and Razor lines are significantly better than the gen-1 models. I've had several of both (gen-1, gen-2 PSTs and Razors). I've also been behind the new Strike Eagle. Amazing for the price point.

There are so many threads on SH just like this one, and just about every one will recommend that newbies (or even experienced shooters) call - on the phone - Doug at CameralandNY, Scott at Liberty Optics, etc. because these guys are SH sponsor vendors and look after SH members. That includes helping the newbie pick a good scope at the preferred price point. Take a look at all the recommendations, then decide which reticle you like, and make the calls. It's worth your while.

Edit: And until you do make the calls, be very careful about buying used. Every time I look in the PX, I see used scopes being advertised at prices very close to what a careful shopper (see preceding recommendation) might pay for a brand-new one of the same model. That's not to say there aren't excellent deals to be had - just know what you're doing.

Im really happy with the ARES BTR 4.5-27 gen1 on my 6.5cm gas gun. They have a gen 2 now that they changed the turrets on so they are more audible. I have a gen 2 Razor on my RPR. It's hard for me to tell the difference that others may be able to tell. Ive heard really good thing about the ARES Midas Tac gen 2, its MSRP is within your budget, might even be able to get it cheaper through Cameraland.

Whatever you purchase, dont cheap out on a good mount as well.

There's some confusion about the Athlon lines!

The G1 Ares BTR is okay but not great, these were the ones that went on closeout at $399, etc. I kept one.

The G2 Ares BTR is better, "especially the turrets", but the glass is just okay, not bad - not great. I like the reticle so this scope is my go-to on the less expensive rifles.

The Ares ETR UHD is a major step up in glass and is a really amazing scope in feel and function! If and when these come out with an all .2 mil reticle my Ares BTR's are going down the road. They are that much better!

How many Vortex scopes (or other brands) have you personally had fail? Circumstances?

Off the top of my head, I've had five Vortex scopes that failed (two were Gen I Razors and one was a Gen 2 Razor), and these are just my personal experiences. I have a close friend who's Gen 2 PST windage turret never even worked out of the box. Here's a pic a friend snapped of a competitor's Gen 2 PST at a match we were shooting last year. Fucking elevation turret sheered clean off:

X2cTDk4l.jpg

Anyhow, I've got lots of experiences with lots of different scopes, never had as much trouble with any of them as I have with Vortex.

I tell people, Vortex is fine for competitions and general target shooting, but certainly not for anything serious.

I have read too many posts like this that keeps me away from Vortex.
If I go to our local Toyota dealership, I'll find a crap ton of broken cars there. Doesn't make Toyota unreliable. And people don't tend to post about scopes or anything else that works - they post, sometimes unfairly, about stuff that has proven personally troublesome.

I would never presume to question the experiences of people like @FALex who have had a lot of trouble - but in my mind would also be the question of how/why one single person has had five scopes fail. Five? That's a lot. A whole lot.

That's why I included the implicit question "circumstances." Such a high failure rate is an indicator to me that his requirements are far more demanding than those to which the vast majority of us would ever subject our equipment. If the OP is going to shoot thousands of rounds of 6.5CM a year, and crank the turrets up/down left/right a zillion times, I'd be recommending a higher-grade scope than a Strike Eagle... but he still doesn't necessarily need a Nightforce Beast.

Put another way: It isn't fair to condemn a half-ton pickup truck that breaks trying to pull a load better suited to a diesel dually.

Last edited: